Thar be snow!

Woo and indeed Hoo! About 6 inches of the stuff. Wide tyres + snow = wheeeee. Tesco car park was surprisingly busy for 8pm on a sunday, especially considering it was closed....

Of course everyone is driving at walking pace, but when I can have this much fun just getting in and out of my drive, I don't care :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I bought a quattro 5 yrs ago and hoped to see some snow, I have seen about 1 inch in al lthat time, and that was last year, it is supposed to snow today though, and cant wait :)

Let's see what happens

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

it's snowing here but not 6 inches yet...

mind you I did leave the house at 05:30 :o(

Reply to
Mason

Mason can you get any discounts on Plusnet? I am thinking of moving ISP this week.

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

225 tyres and 200 ponys through the front wheels = hmm. :)

It's days like this I wish I still had the IS200...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Bugger. Nothing here.

Clear blue skies at 11AM in Salford.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

How is it fun ? And why do people *want* to drive in the snow ?

I *hate* it with a passion. All the way to work this morning, I was fixated on the idiot behind me in his brand new Primera - he almost slid into the back of me at every junction/roundabout. You've got to have a few screws loose to tailgate someone in the snow !!!!

When it snowed last year, I narrowly avoided being slid into by a LWB Transit. I was patiently waiting my turn at a roundabout, and he came from my right to turn left - but he forgot to slow to snow speeds, and came understeering towards me. There was nowhere for me to move to, and I just sat there waiting for the smack - luckily he clipped a kerb, and it bounced him out of my direction.

When it snows, my car doesn't move from the front garden unless absolutely necessary :)

As an aside, the ESP and TCS coped very well. Just like in the rain the other day, there was no drama at all - just a flickery light on the dash, and the car magically seems to go where you tell it. The TI was a bit of nightmare on icy roads - the TorSen diff is effectively a torque multiplier, so if one of the wheels has zero grip, then it ceases to work and simply becomes a normal diff - which means one or other of the front tyres would light up at the slightest whiff of throttle - and then you'd veer off to one side in a none-comical manner :)

Reply to
Nom

We dont get any discounts i'm afriad, but feel free to e-mail me if theres anythign you want clarification on.

rmason@plusdotNet

Reply to
Mason

Except ask We don't get any discounts i'm afraid, but feel free to e-mail me if there's anything you want clarification on.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar slurred :

Ahhh, poor you. Here's a pic to make you feel better :-)

Albert T Cone

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com, "Nom" slurred :

Um. 'Cos it is. You can slide about at non-lethal speeds, you can get wheelspin in all gears, you can do donuts in the car park, you can do handbrake turns at will, and all without damaging to your tyres. There's the slight thrill of being on the edge of grip, without the danger. There's also an added challenge to driving, and thus a requirement of skill and a concomittant satisfaction from managing to do it.

Agreed.

Heh. See, you wouldn'ty have had that cool story to tell without snow :-)

Bah.

Sounds like top comedy to me :)

My pug 205 with skinny tyres on was _way_ better in the snow than the 405 is with it's 205 section jobbies. The worst thing I ever drove in the snow was a MkII astra 1.4, which had zero grip; it couldn't even get up the camber of the road - I had to tow it with the 205 eventually. I never did figure out why it was so bad.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I've gone with

Free modem, free setup, uncapped, £20 a month.

Or £25 with static-IP.

Or the package I went for --> £30 for 1Mb with free static-IP.

PlusNet's £70 setup fee instantly puts them out of the running, when other ISPs will happily waive it. Mason, I suggest you mention that to your boss, cos it's cost them at least my business :)

Reply to
Nom

Agreed. If it's stil snowing in our village when I get home then i'll certainly take the BMW out. Theres also the added advantage of the empty roads around us too and the odd carpark.

When it snowed t'other week we had a right laugh.

We took the BMW and two RWD saph cossies out for a play all at once and then we ditched the BM inn favour of sharing a cossie.

I must admit the BM doesnt fare too well agains the 467BHP of Alan's cosworth. I stuggled to get the blood ford moving, 470 odd BHP to the back wheels in the snow...

challenging to say the least. :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

At the risk of wandering OT. It's been raised. It also means that we make a profit on our connections as opposed to other providers selling BT IPstream who waive the fee...

The fee has to be made up somewhere as any BT IPstream provider is charged it.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Albert T Cone wrote in news:Xns96047B2FEFD0B224267@130.133.1.4:

The snow does highlight how crap Vauxhall traction control is in a FWD '95 Vectra. The system seems to work like this, there is a wheel spinning, apply brake to that wheel, diff swaps power to other wheel which now spins, better swap back then, repeat forever. It works at about that speed as well. Took the wife about 5 minutes to get out of the drive. Two TLAs spring to mind, RWD and LSD, which copes with snow much better.

Will

Reply to
Will

.>

On of the chaps I work with (an occasionally car share with) has an IS200. the traction control when on "snow" settings seems to work simply by killing power when the rear wheels start to slip.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

The 405 on those particular 205 tyres was awesome :D Grip was laughable :D

Reply to
DanTXD

What is this snow stuff you guys keep talking about?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The experience of driving in the snow is fun.

Being in the landing zone of other people in the snow is not so fun.

He he he... none of that marlarky here, put the pedal down too hard and the back slides about. :)

But no real snow per se. :(

Reply to
Questions

i have 225 tyres on the rear, LSD and RWD and i'm praying it don't snow! got the job centre later today at 3pm so hope it can hold off!

was fun a few years ago in the snow with my MK1 MR2, driving to where i worked at the time and i used to drive down this really wide road, could get

2 maybe even 3 cars side by side except this road was 2 way single traffic. the snow had settled but there was clear dry tracks from all the lorries that had been down the road all day. when i came onto the road my front wheels were on the dry patch and the rear were slightly off touching the snow and ice and i was going down the road like a crab :) was pretty cool. some guy got a clip of my car coming down the road sideways on his phone but i never got a copy of it :( was fun balancing the power to make it slide out more hehe.

saw an IS200 on the way home a few days later when most of it had dried out, he'd spun out on the A12 on the last witham junction. the roads looked clear but i could see ice as i passed him so crawled home slowly after seeing that while all the beamers and mercs carried on at 80+ in the fast lane as normal!

Reply to
Vamp