That German News server

Isn't it bloody annoying when they take it down for maintenance. Then lose a load of posts. Particularly those made that day.

Bloody annoying. Especially that nicely developing thread me, Vamp, and Ronny had started about the Audi dash install.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Bloody more annoying when they DON'T take it down for maintenance, and then it collapses and dies for a week !

:)

Reply to
Nom

Is the free gradwell server back up? I used to use Peters server, and have an account. A couple of years ago, his sever went through meltdown, and decided when he upgraded, and brought it back on line he was going to charge for accounts, but it wasn't going to be for a while.

After that, I signed up for news.cis.dfn.de. never noticed whether the gradwell server was back again.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes, but like you I don't rely on it, just use it to fill in the missing bits.

He charges now, but downloads are free and i use another server to post through.

[snip]
Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah. Had a good look through his site. Forgot about him.

I'm just messing with Hamster now, trying to use it as a local newsproxy.

Should do ok, for just me.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

They had a power-outage. Not much they can do about that.

I just switched to the Pipex server for the evening. Went very quiet, though - seems most of usenet uses the German server ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Ah well, shit happens. Suppose the UPS batteries or backup gennie used itself to capacity. I mean it is mean't to be the primary news server for the german education system now, you would hope that it was hosted in a proper hosting data centre, not a Uni computer lab. Manchester Science park has backup power systems in place

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You cant complain when its free! You get what you pay for :-)

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

Oh, I'm not complaining about the server going down. Just annoying about loss of messages.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo