That's me off diesels for life then...

DMF has packed up. Not worth driving something slow, clattery and with the potential for stupid bills to save a few quid a week...

Reply to
Doki

If you will buy PSA s**te, what do you expect?

Although it could be worse - Mondeo TDCIs are prone to doing their ring-gear on a regular basis.

Reply to
JackH

ISTR a certain Bob Sherunckle having issues with a Passat...

Reply to
Doki

Didn't SteveH's have shit loads of work just before it went back?

Reply to
DanB

Yet another reason for getting an autobox when buying a diesel. We don't go diesel for the performance you know!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

*waves* Me too. 5 hours labour to get the naffing thing off too. Damn near a write-off of a car which was otherwise in very good nick.

Mechanic friend works on commercials, and said that after normal service work, dead DMFs are his most common job, particularly on TDCI transits. You can get solid flywheels replacement kits now, or if you can just weld the two halves together once you get it out.

I'd think twice before buying anything with a DMF again.

Reply to
albert T Cone

IME Autoboxes are bearable on stuff like 4 litre Jags that are very floaty. I'd never want a 2.0 Diesel auto. Ever.

Reply to
Doki

And yet they work so well on diesels. Good ones are set up so that the lock up comes in with the boost, they're always in the best RPM range, top gear is mega long for economy and you've not got that desperate snatch for 2nd when pulling of quick to grab a gap. Unless it's a passat, in which case it's always in the wrong gear.

And of course there's a long history of autoboxes being mated to high torque engines.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I think all manufacturers have had DMF issues.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

A colleague has just had a SMF conversion on his 307. He says it hasn't particularly made it rougher.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Throttle body issues with the Golf. No issues at all with the Passat.

It was a brand new leased car. When I look back it still seems a weird think to have done - leasing a 19 grand car.

Still, that's 5 1/2 years ago now.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I think I was thinking of Albert...

Reply to
Doki

The chap I flogged mine to ended up welding the two bits together, effectively making a SMF. You could tell it was a little bit more gruff and unrefined at very low revs, but nothing someone who isn't a dieselophobe would really notice or care about.

Reply to
Albert T Cone