That turbo'd MX-5...

>> Me mate Dan's flogging his MX-5, if any of you fancy a quick little >> hairdresser's car for the summer: >> >>
> HFM?

Sold the other day for £3850...

Reply to
Abo

The problem is, people tend to want something un-touched to re-architect purely by themselves. I wouldn't buy a car with any modification on it purely because you can't tell whether the owner (or the owner's son, etc) has been racing it about or treating it badly.

Boy-racers don't seem to realise this when selling cars, have a look on ebay to see what the starting price is on some of their tat - turbo'd corsas and the like.

Hopefully that mx5 is in good condition though.

Reply to
Robert

Most stuff like Turbo'd Corsas though, where the owner has invested a lot of time and money are treated well, as they're the pride and joy. It's the dodgily modded bodykit stuff you have to watch out for...

Reply to
DanTXD

Yep if you put the money and work into it you want to look after it. It's semi expensive standard cars to be most concerned with. Things that have been bought and considered just a way to get from A-B as they tend to let things like servicing slip a bit.

Reply to
Depresion

I would advise that the best method, if you must modify or whatever would be to keep your old parts, then replace them back on when you go to sell the car, and you can then sell the modified parts seperately again.

Selling a modified car never does it justice, even if it is a good example of modification, just the way life is unfortunately. Some young 'uns ruining it for the rest of the people.

Reply to
Yozzi

Yea that is the best way - not always possible mind you :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

My way is never to sell. Much better if rather expensive when it comes to garage space.

Reply to
Depresion

Aye he'd done a good job of it. He got just £150 less than the original asking price.

Reply to
Abo

All of the type of mods carried out by the vast majority of posters here, are likely to do is reduce the value of a car, cost quite a lot of money, and make it pretty nasty to drive.

Ken

Ken, f*ck off, you know nothing about which you speak.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I'm still waiting to hear what mods my 206 has in Ken's opinion...

Reply to
DanTXD

Tony I've trimmed your post of superfluous words. With that said the last 3 could go as well and no one would object.

Reply to
Depresion

I do agree with Ken, of course it's all about personal perception, but some mods just make bad noises and cause course/rough running, which some people, such as boy-racers do actually enjoy. If a mod has a valid point, then fair enough.

However many mods can shorten the life of the engine dramatically, and as such if something was proven beneficial for the vehicle in general it would be fitted by manufacturers, or at least offered by them as an option, bit like the turbo kits vauxhall used to put on vectras, at a high premium unfortunately.

Reply to
Robert

Manufactures build cars for a compromise as well as having to cope with fuels of lesser qualities than are generally available in the UK. If some of the modifications people on here cut there engine's life expectancy from 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles to only 2 hundred thousand whilst doubling there power I think all the regulars here would agree that's a good exchange as virtually all car engines will if properly maintained outlast the rest of the car.

Reply to
Depresion