Thats another car crossed off the "must own someday" list

1992 Saab 9000 2.3 full pressure turbo

Needs a /bit/ of work but cheap enough for it to only need to last a few days.

Suffers from the usual worn engine mounts and dicky TB (drive by wire) which will hopefully be sorted tomorrow

All for the same price as the cheapest bike halfords had which i nearly bought instead

Next up is a 164 v6 i think...

Reply to
Chet

Pretty much standard par for the course. If that is sorted prepare for the coil pack cartridge (D.I cartridge) to go, they tend to go at arround 100k ish. Quite often, regular owners replace the current one early, and keep it in the boot as a spare, because the new ones don't last as long as the originals. They then swap it over if they still have the car when the new one fails, and get a new one ASAP.

Reply to
Elder

Currently on 155k so will have a look at the bundle of invoices to see whats been replaced

Found and fixed a major mount problem, much much better now!

Chet

It may be fixed for now but you created a fine spot where it will rust as hell.

Why didn't you just buy or make another bracket?

The more I am confronted with the "English" way of repairs, maintenance and restauration, the more I see things done for today that will scrapped tomorrow. I would be very surprised if the weld is clean or that the underside of the bracket is welded too.

Any car I inspect and I see such repairs, that particular car isn't a car anymore but a parts-carrier.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Well, looks like that bit won't break again in a hurry.

Good job.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Post corrected :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

TBH the car's worth tuppence, so I can see why Chet wouldn't GAF. OTOH bodgery does seem to be a bit of a national pastime and I like things

*right*.
Reply to
Doki

Because the car cost 120 euro and its main purpose was to the trashed around a field, as it happens its actually quite driveable so has been spared for at least a few days

Reply to
Chet

Coil pack replaced at 130k :)

Reply to
Chet

Excellent. That is the big job apart from bushes and fly by wire throttle that goes on them.

The TCS models can be a pain because the car into limp home, but that is related to the fly by wire anyway.

Reply to
Elder

From the receipts it was very well looked after until it fell into cheap car territory

Throttle issue is proving difficult to sort as its not displaying the traditional symptoms so a fix/bodge isn't so easy to find

Whats the best technical saab website/forum?

Reply to
Chet

must have been thrashed wihin an inch of it's life for that to break....

Reply to
john

Or
(linked to the UK Saab club)for forums. Found this one
too, but never used it.
(and the whole of Saabnet) is very good for information, but if you link to anything he doesn't like (and that can be anything), or post in the alt.autos.saab (which he mirrors over the web) anything he doesn't approve of, or even mention another Saab site that isn't one of his sponsors, he will block your access, probably block your whole ISPs access because he is a dumbfuck, and remove or alter any posts to his bulletin board, and censor/edit/remove any posts you made that are in his mirror of usenet. And his decission is final.

Reply to
Elder

Nice one!

I got quite alot of bodging done today