The big Alfa question

Will I fit? I'm long legs, short arms. I thought Alfas were the other way round?

147 JTD would you? How do the spec levels work on modern is (03/04) Alfas work. Can't go for a test drive just to get a feel as local Alfa dealership closed a few months ago (Caledonian) to be replaced by a Jeep/Chrysler dealership (MTB) who seem to be shifting far more cars. So will need to wait until I'm ready to start buying.
Reply to
carl.robson

Tourismo - Base spec. Usually 'Alfatex' (A kind of synthetic suede stuff, like Alcantara) Lusso - More toys, usually leather, too. Often bigger wheels than Tourismo. Veloce - Sporty version. Side skirts, deeper bumpers, bigger wheels. Most of the Lusso toys, not always with leather, but usually sports seats.

You should fit, the 147 is a sawn-off 156..... personally, I'd look for a 156 as they're usually better value and you mostly get a better choice of spec.

Reply to
SteveH

w.italiancar.co.uk- Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

You might be right about the better choice of of spec. I've always found the 147 a sexier looking car than a 156 though, even in the early short grille version.

Imagine, I might become a proper petrolhead by buying a diesel.

Reply to
carl.robson

Evo tend to disagree with you:

and for the facelift cars:

They also like the 156:

What Car? quite like it, too:

I still say the 156 is the one to have. If you need practicality, get the Sportwagon. Mine has proven to be very versatile - I don't know how I coped with 3 saloons on the drive for as long as I did.

Reply to
SteveH

So? Despite being the only car mag I read, I'm aware that others exist. Do you not remember watching Clarkson body rolling the GTA everywhere? His review was crap of course, but you'd have a serious eye sight problem to not see the roll.

None of that really matters though, seeing as I went on to say I loved it, so, Evo only disagree with me in that I'd have given it more than a crap 3 stars.

Reply to
DanB

If you read the reviews, none of them say it's a crappy drive.

Some say comfort is sacrificed in favour of handling.

They even say the 'cooking' models are pretty much better to drive than the GTA as the narrower, taller profile tyres and softer suspension give more communicative feedback.

I have yet to read any review that says they're crappy to drive, they all say they're a sharp handling car, but the ride could be better.

The GTA is so substantially re-engineered that it's not a valid point of reference - it would be like claiming all MkI Focii are a bit shit just on evidence that the RS with its silly diff. wanted to steer itself off the road over every bump. (yes, I know I don't like the Focus, but plenty of people do....)

Reply to
SteveH