The missus is after a Cheapo satnav.

Anyone know of any specials coming up in the next two weeks?

Reply to
Elder

2 left as I type this...
Reply to
Iridium

Abo

I found this one.

But can't find a brand and it does look a bit generic pikey.

Sort of thing where you might find a guy in a car park with his boot=20 open "I was sent to fit these to a fleet, but they gave me 5 extra and=20 it isn't on the paperwork, so I'll let you have one for =A3250, they=20 should be =A31000 retail, but we fit them trade"

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Feeder-Dove Grey Sands

Elder

Given that it's a tchibo thing, you could presumably go and play with one in the shop and try to get a better idea of it's cheapo-or-otherwise-ness. According to the website they have a shop in Bury.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Ask Darren over at uk.rec.gps - he'll probably know what the unit 'really' is....

Reply to
cupra

They're the top of the range Medion system - sold by the Medion online shop for 300 quid, which makes them a bit cheap at £259.

Don't forget that, as a Tchibo branded product, they come with a 3 year no-quibble guarantee.

If you're looking at one, I can find a list of Somerfield and Sainsburys stores which have them in stock.

FWIW - they're a huge specification, with full euro mapping and bluetooth handsfree.

Reply to
SteveH

I thought Medion was sold by shops which were intended for people too=20 pikey for iceland?=20

Tchibo Branded? Not exactley a market leading name is it? Never heard of=20 them until I saw that website.

I shop in Sainsburys quite often so I'll see if they have one locally. =20

Spec does sound quite impressive admittedly.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Medion are one of Europe's largest electronics manufacturers.

You'd be surprised at how much of their stuff gets re-branded by a whole host of other 'manufacturers'.

The reason they end up in 'more pikey than Iceland' shops is that said shops are German, as are Medion.

Well, yes, this is true in the UK. In Germany, and much of Eastern Europe they're a household name - eg. market leader in coffee sales in Germany and the Czech Republic.

(Also the majority shareholder in Biersdorf, owner of the Nivea brand)

Reply to
SteveH

David Hasselhof is a household name and icon in Germany.

Reply to
Elder

I believe 'Jump in My Car' actually made the top 5 in the UK charts...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

There's a lovely looking Sony unit on the Halfrauds website at the moment, £99.99 down from £149.99.

Or look for the "Sony NY-U52" unit if the link doesn't work.

Reply to
DervMan

And Knight Rider re-ran for years, but, not sure what your point in... :o)

Reply to
DervMan

Are Sony Sat Navs any good?

Reply to
Iridium

Me neither to be honest, but it was loosely based on dismissing any implications that the Hoff is not actually a household name and icon over here as well as Germany.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

They're supposed to be good - but people who buy Sonys tend to love 'em and have nothing bad to write about them, heh.

*looks at Sony Ericsson 'phone*

*looks at Sony PDA*

At the price - £70 less than the Tomtom - it looks worth a punt. If I didn't have one, that's the model I'd get, probably.

Reply to
DervMan

On

there's an article on a sub =A360 Satnav=20 system. Not read it as I've already got one but it should be on the=20 front page.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Sony phones are the best of a bad bunch IMO. My W810 is just about OK, but they have a tendency to go wrong (really wrong) if you unplug the USB cable from them, which is a bit much if you ask me. The K750i I had was good too, but it went through about 5 joysticks in 18 months and the screen filled with dust. The only other Sony thing I've had was a CDRW which packed up very quickly.

Reply to
Doki

Yup: handsets are designed for a contract market, so it seems, replace every

12 months.

I did buy a Sony Ericsson handset, the W300i, which was the cheapest Walkman one. No joysticks, no fancy camera, no huge big screen - less to go wrong, less to power. Has fantastic battery life and works really well at the gym as a Walkman too.

But then work provide me with a BlackBerry *shudder* work proper mobile work, like... :)

Reply to
DervMan