the modding has begun

Well the modding has well and truly started on the cavalier :)

first things first some stereo to replace that gaping hole in the dash,

Blaupunkt Modena H/u with changer set of genesis P16's for the front doors generic brand 280w amp to run NO subs bass tubes 6x9's etc notice ( ineed my boot space )

Exterior mods,

Car has been washed,

A custom fabricated piece of colour coded duct tape has been placed over the nasty line of rust spots on the top edge of the windscreen, Result, reduced wind noise.

Removal of all exterior stickers and badges, (now its just a plain white cav/

Interior Mods

A hoover Removal of previous owners "MaXPoO" acessories inc mobile phone holder and flashy led gear knob fitment of a Bmw M-Tech gear knob in its place(e-bay bargain at a fiver).

Mechanical mods,

twin 3 inch stainless exhaust full system inc decat pipe,

full service inc timing belt,

front end is being polybushed today(cheaper than genuine GM bushes funnily enough,

Uprated the brakes swopped over to ATE calipers with 288mm discs on the front,

Been a busy week of cav owner ship, Nothing too chavvy there i hope(dont want to upset you all now :)

Reply to
Rob

The big plans for next week are,

My suspension kit arriving,(second hand gmax kit -60mm drop(becuase i'm keeping the 15" rims on)

A trip to the scrappies to pick up a GSI front bumper complete Removal of the rub strips and general tidying up of any rusty bits(inc the bad section above the windscreen)

Reply to
Rob

Sounds ok so far, except the exhaust system isn't necessary and will damage gas speed / extraction.

Reply to
Questions

Won't a 60mm drop screw up the handling (even more so than standard)? I would've thought the driveshafts would start pointing upwards at that drop!

Reply to
Snapper

it's a cavalier i doubt it can be made worse :)

Reply to
Vamp

i like the rasp :)

are you reading it right? its twin 3" tailpipes not 3" bore think its something like 2" bore on the system maybe 2 1/4 at most

Reply to
Rob

steve

f*ck off :)

total spend so far equates to a second hand stainless system at 50 quid and a lowered suspension setup acquired from mig for 45 quid :)

Rob

I'm afraid I'm with Mr H on this one... why bother on that - you could have got a nice SRi instead, and no, I doubt the insurance would be that much more, if at all, if you were declaring all your mods.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

Plus the polybushes and a load of your time.

1/10. Is that the best you can do?
Reply to
SteveH

times free as were the polybushes :)

came off my last sri along with a few other bits and bobs like the 16v calipers

as for insurance :) open policy so makes no difference :) :)

Reply to
Rob

No, time isn't free. It's the best part of £15 / hour after tax.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

So in that case, remind us all again why it is you're bothering with a poxy

1.8, when you could have something just as new for around the same money, with the 2.0 16v in it...
Reply to
JackH

whats the problem steve?

last time i looked it was uk.rec.cars.MODIFICATION

you know that little nack of changing and altering things on cars for whatever reason takes your fancy?

its a day to day hack that i'm happily modding to suit my personal tastes and needs, i dont really care if people think i should just go finance a newer car.

At the end of the day no one knows what the future holds, right now i'm in a good secure job with a top 100 ftse company, tommorow i could be hit by a bus and that could all change.

the cavvy is bought and paid for as is every part on it, i dont like the idea of 2/3 years finance hanging over my head, and as much as i would love a nice 147 gta or even a nice shiny new golf gti i can afford to throw a few hundred quid at the cav, get bored and sell it at a loss in a couple of months time,.small investment small loss.

Reply to
Rob

the cav came to me as a trade in, drove it for a day or two and guess it kinda grew on me, oh and the fact its a mint shell with not a spot of rust on the arches and it has the sweetest sounding 8v vaux lump i've ever heard

Reply to
Rob

It's a cheap heap of s**te, and not worth spending £5 on, let alone over £100 and your time, ffs!

If it had been a nice one with a proper engine, then it might have been worth it, but you're modding a base model that had a few stickers put on it by a dealer.

For the cost of the one you have plus the mods you could have had an immaculate GSi, something that may well have been worth modding.

Reply to
SteveH

Open policy? Whats that about then?

Reply to
DanTXD

You've obviously not met the right woman yet, if you need that explained to you...

...and nor have I, hence why I'm bashing away furiously on a Saturday night (1)...

(1) ...typing these posts, dear boy. Tsk, tsk.

Reply to
JackH

...and yet you were saying only the other day, about how you're thinking of dropping a 2.0 in... in which case I suggest you save yourself a load of hassle, and sell it, and spend the money on a bonafide SRi or GSi.

Your life though... gives us all something to look and point at, that's for sure... ;-P

Reply to
JackH

its a traders policy with private use

basically its just like a normal policy cept its worded

"any vehicle belonging or not belonging to"

Reply to
Rob

i dont see what the big deal is

pick up a cheap XE for 2-250 complete running package, its a minted shell so why not transfer running gear intoa a good shell than buy a proper fast version and spend hours under it welding it up :)

after all,

its here already it saves the hassle of punting it and buying a gsi/sri etc, oh and i dont like the saloons so that rules a gsi out :)

Reply to
Rob