The most wrong thing I have done...

The boss used to say, "pick a gear, any gear, we're gone."

Absolutely yes. I have this in the 9-3, well okay, not the performance heh. :) It's great when Charlie wants it tropical and I want it British...

Back on the M5 V8, the ride is also pleasingly supple. Not something true of the RS6.

It does work. Although BMW's 155 limiter is considered to be "soft" as in it'll stop you about 165 indicated.

When you consider the energy they have to convert into heat, they do pretty well. I'd imagine the mass is higher than 2,000 kg as well. Assuming it's as portly as a B6 Passat 2.0 TDI, somewhere around 1,700 kg, 300 kg isn't much between four people who like a bit of pie now and again... ;)

Maybe BMW need a drag 'chute..?

Reply to
DervMan

Never been in an RS6, bar at some motor show a while ago - few years back now, the big old twin turbo monster and I have a feeling it wasn't 'The Motor Show' but just a motor show heh. The ride was fine, and the seat was comfy :-p

Ah. I'm pretty sure it allegedly didn't kick in, but couldn't possibly comment on a) the sensibility of our awesome actions, b) the speed on our private track and c) how much absolutely awesome kick ass fun it was :-D We'd left our private land copy of the A64 now though and gone to our longer piece of private land. Fuel was also required, both for the M5 and for us.

Heh, maybe, I have no doubt they were glowing though hehe! Some guy on Cliosport had his photo taken on a trackday, it was a 182, same yellow as my R27, and they were just bright orange - and it was in the wet heh. Another issue we had though was that the brakes absolutely *stank* - but it was ok, the kick ass climate was soon re-circing :-p

Reply to
DanB

My ears are burning.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Only know the E39 range, but it's the pick of the bunch. Not really any slower than the V-8, but much lower running costs. Better balanced too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some back of the envelope calculations - slowing 2000Kg at 1g from

160mph, the brakes would initially be dissipating about 1.3 Megawatts! I should imagine that they would tend to fade a bit...
Reply to
Albert T Cone

Is that the current range..?

*too lazy to Wikipedia*
Reply to
DervMan

No - previous. Before Bangle had his brainstorm.

Other thing with the E39 is the sixes have different and better steering - rack and pinion. The V-8s steering boxes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The pretty one. I remember when it was launched. Actually I remember leaving dribble around a previous shape 525tds then nearly fainting at my first 530d... ;-)

I almost persuaded Tim to go for a 530d too.

Right. E39s are affordable too...

Reply to
DervMan

I'd quite like an E39 540i to run about in again. Not the best car in the world, but it did have a few good points. Shame about the cupholders.. Besides, I could run one until it died and then throw the engine in the E30. Hmm.

Reply to
Pete M

I suppose. I nearly looked at a few 530d saloons when thinking about replacing the 9-3 diesel, but decided against it because I was trying to go all sensible...

*thinks*

Meh. Bugger.

Reply to
DervMan

T5

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Unless it was the engine that died to to Nikasil related problemology.....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Yeah, there is that. I think the E39s tended to miss that particular issue, and I'd be going for the 4.4 anyway :-)

Reply to
Pete M

I think they did - my E36 is a '97 and the fuel was basically OK from not too long after that. It does mean I've got a 30K engine in a 120K car though, which is nice... (for me, not for Vamp who had all the hassle getting it sorted ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

Unless it's a barn find they've all either died or been replaced - as the high sulphur petrol that caused the problems hasn't been around for many years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I still reckon the E34 (two series ago) was the prettiest of all 'normal' BMW saloons. Especially in white.

Yup. And the sixes at least aren't money pits. They do have faults - but not really on the complicated stuff. So most can be DIY'd. The V-8s are a different matter, costs wise.

I've had my current 528 for much longer than any other 'main' car. Coming up to 10 years now. And it still drives like new.

There's a decent one make email group for these - always on topic and no flaming allowed.;-) Details below.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

On the subject of older 5-series, I saw an E28 yesterday. An Alpina E28. Now, I don't normally do this about BMWs, but...

Reply to
Adrian