the pug

still not working 100% tempremental little tart that she is

awaiting a big box of ebay goodies early next week :)

the pug sporting the new i've got all the proper windows look

Rob

So have you figured out the problem? Or is the big box of goodies an Mi16 engine to cure it once and for all? :)

I *may* have found myself a nice 309 GTi. Will wait and see if anyone buys the Manta first!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

LOL, nutters!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Jimmy and I narrowed it down to a fault somewhere in the front half of the vehicle on Saturday, brand new dizzy cap rotor arm and leads/plugs arriving on tuesday to rule out one problem then hopefully a set of webers by the end of the week to rule out fuel injection concerns. :)

problemo solved

Reply to
Rob

so far the bargain 205 is turning into a not so much bargain

when it runs it flies ripped a civic vti to pieces and matched a cooper S quite happily.

then refuses to start unless its on 3 cylinders mongolian jujitsu warrior sundance followed by prayers and hopping on one foot whilst turning the ignition key gets it started then she runs fine and dandy(if a tad rich)

pah Fuel injection its the devils own, but 350 notes for a twin carb setup ouch maybe that finance at arnold clarks still available for that nearly new mondy

Reply to
Rob

Absolute rubbish. The other drivers were probably not bothering to race what they thought was some idiot boy racer. Most let the idiots in tarted up little cars go past so they crash into someone else. It's SO obvious when someone that knows nothing about cars lies! The car you have sounds like a shed and doesn't run properly from what you said, so I doubt it would even keep up to a Ford Fiesta.

Reply to
Rob

Oh not you again. Fuck of an die. Even if it isn't as quick as he says, it is a fisherman's truth. Know what I mean. We have all been there.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

You forgot to mention the barryboys website.

Now f*ck off and die.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Civic VTi 0-60mp in 7.3s MINI Cooper S 0-60mph in 7.2s

205 GTi 1.9 0-60mph in 7.6s

So TBH a 1.9 with a 1.6 gearbox could well better both of them as I would have said it would be down to low 7s to 60mph. What were you saying about knowing nothing about cars?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Can it make 60 in 2nd with the 1.6 gearbox? (can it with the 1.9?). That'd hurt the 0-60 (but not the real world speed)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I thought it could, just, from memory, but I'm not entirely convinced on that. Even though the 0-60 times mean little in the real world, it gives you a good comparison and all 3 cars are more or less equal meaning the 205 'shed' could well have beaten either IYSWIM. Unless of course Rob was talking about a running through the twisties, in which case it's all meaningless. Hey ho. I dont really care, all I know is that Rob the imposter is a c*ck sucker :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

the cars a complete shed but it runs straight with a strong engine that pulls to a limited 71/2k in the first 4 gears.

insanely fast insanely crap looking, nothing beats embarasing shiny new cars in a car with faded paint and an mdf back window :)

Reply to
Rob

Sure it does. Beating silly boy racers that think they can drive in a flash sportscar and watching their feeble FWD hatchbacks disappear into a hedge as they try to keep up (or get out of my way).

I once chased a Corolla GTI 16v (FWD) so hard that it rode up on the kerb, the silly bugger inside trying desperately to not let me pass. It wouldn't be so funny, but I was in a Senator 3.0 at the time, and eventually barelled past the now rather slower car at 127 indicated.

I'm very tempted by a 205 GTI to play with at some point in the future - even my gf reckons they have a retro chic to them now (there's a nice grey metallic E plater around the corner from us) - but if you're up against a modern hot hatch like a Civic Type R, then the driver is either incompetent, or more likely, not trying to race you, if a shagged

205 GTI leaves them behind.

My Beetle has previously left a Lexus IS200 behind on the twisties. It doesn't make the Beetle better than the IS; in that particular case I could see how hard they were trying, and frankly, they were just a crap driver.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

vti not a type R :) bit of a difference, the pug is probably only 20 horses down and kicking a shit load more torque out :)

alas as you say retro cool classic insurance at under 290 quid a year FC and quicker than anyone with a modicum of sanity would expect :)

Reply to
Rob

Christ, you get mugged on insurance up there. My Supra was only £200 fully comp; hell, my Sera isn't even on classic, but normal Direct Line, and costs £260 fully comp.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

i'm still young :) 24 and stay in one of the less desirable parts of glasgow :) all mods declared and fully comp :)alas limited to 9k pa

Reply to
Rob

My mate just chopped his NA MR2 Mk2 in for CTR. Random fact for you all there :) I'll give a better report when he lets me drive it :-D

Reply to
DanTXD