The Ti is making a funny noise...

Went over a speedbump today and a godawful clanging sound came from the front offside (it seemed). I looked in my mirrors as I drove off to see if something had fallen off the car, nothing.

I continued up the road and it clanged again.

Went round a roundabout later and as I straightened up it clanged again.

I've taken a quick look under the car and around the arches and can't see anything obviously untoward.

Bizarre. Any ideas from the R600 Ti crew?

Reply to
fishman

are the discs shielded?

Reply to
Theo

in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "fishman" slurred :

I have _zero_ experience of working on the Ti, but I had a similar effect on my 205 recently - turned out to be a broken spring. It occasionally clanged going over speedbumps, but mostly was noticeable when manouvering.

O course the Ti suspension is completely different to the 205, so that's probably irrelevant :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

[...Clang!...]

Ditto.

While back, BMW 740 - still a broken spring.

When it first happened there was a "kersproyong" and then occasional clangs as the now detached top coil hit the remainder of the spring.

A quick guddle in the spring seat should confirm - beware sharp bits at the break.

Struts 'n' coils innit...

If it ain't a spring check the brake backplates.

Alistair J Murray

Pointless fact that may or may not help diagnosis - it has wishbone suspension :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Maybe the gearbox was left behind? it may have been hiding behind the speed bump being that there so fooking big nowadays

Reply to
Ronny

nope.. if it's any consolation, mine scrapes (possibly tyre scraping against something) when I do a hard lock turn to the right - but it doesn't do it when turning hard to the left.. it's done it for quite a while and never got round to sussing it out ;)

Bigus

*contender for most useless reply to thread*
Reply to
Bigus

Well mine started doing that since I had new tyres fitted, not on hard turns but usually on large diameter roundabouts if I'm pressing on a bit. Been making funny, similar noises while reversing too. I'll have to get under the car and have a good poke around.

The noise in my OP does sound like I've broken a spring though :(

Reply to
fishman

Spring sticking in the spring mount, so it's twisting in the mount as you turn the wheel (rather than rotating in it's mount as it should) and then twanging round to where it's meant to be ?

Ask on

- they know everything !

Reply to
Nom

Broken spring.

Reply to
Conor

AOL

AOL, Golf Cabriolet

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Pointless fact number two.

Even if a car has wishbone suspension, it still needs springs somewhere [1]

[1] Unless for some insane reason it's not sprung in any way
Reply to
Pete M

My car doesn't have any springs. Does that make it insane?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Nope, because your car is sprung and damped by pressurised oil / gas "spheres", as well you know, you young scamp.

Reply to
Pete M

Wow, that sounds pretty insane to me!

Bugger, "Rumbled again our kid".