This any good as a project base Conor?

Yes, and?

It's not like it was a totally standard minter. Surely yanking the engine is easier and cheaper than repainting?

I'd never sell my 75 to buy a V6 version because I know it inside out and know how well sorted the bodywork is - but I would consider swapping the engine if mine expired or I had a need for more power.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Are the mounts easily swappable?

Mmm. But 75 v6s have more than just the engine different, don't they? Mind you, I wouldn't put it past Alfa to change from four-bolt wheels on the four-pot to five on the v6 just "because", with no other changes...

Reply to
Adrian

AFAIK there are no differences, other than the engine. It's possible the gear ratios are different, but I have no idea what box is in mine now anyway - so long as the box has an LSD, it's not a big issue.

But yes, Alfa have been known to f*ck about with 4 and 5 stud wheels on the same car with different engine capacities.

Reply to
SteveH

Before you splash out on a full respray I'd first try attacking it with some T-Cut and a machine polisher. If it's just been airbrushed on it would probably come off quite easily.

Reply to
Homer

Fords of that era?

Absolutely.

Rude not to as well. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

No. You need to swap the crossmember. That then opens up another can of=20 worms as you then need to put in power steering. There's a few=20 strengthening issues as well as has been mentioned in another thread.=20

But what is being glossed over is the fact this also has decambered=20 springs instead of just using lowering blocks, 4 pot AP brakes, Leda=20 front struts, adjustable rear shocks and over =A3500 of stainless steel=20 exhaust system - there's over =A31k in just in that little lot and that's= =20 even before we get to the engine mods.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Looks like its been clear coated over the top.

Reply to
Conor

Job 1: remove whale tail Job 2: full respray

;)

You could do a lot with that. Couple of turbos and some nitrous?

Reply to
Abo

Ceremonial burning?

Reply to
Abo

I think I saw the same one on the M65 earlier in the day

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Pretty much.

NOS would be nice. Turbo would require a fair bit of bottom end work.

Reply to
Conor

NOS is cheap. Allegedly.

I've bought the drills to make my jets now.. tis going slowly, but I'll get there. £10 for a pack of 0.3mm-1.6mm drills in 0.05mm steps from Maplins. Then off to the Bristol Model Engineers exhibition with the kids and found the exact same set for £2.50 AAARGH!

Reply to
PCPaul

This would have been early evening, and heading north to Warrington. Was probably just before the Knutsford turn off or just after. So it looks like he took it somewhere then brought it back.

Reply to
Elder

Have you got a nice slow lightweight bench drill though so you don't=20 snap those slender little bits.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Slender? I can barely see the little buggers.

And yes I have a very decent pillar drill with lots of pulleys to play with to keep the speed way down. Not a lightweight, though - although for it to be lighweight enough that the inertia isn't enough to shear a 0.3mm bit would be a pretty damn tiny drill press.

I also have a pin vice with a suitable collet, to either drill it by hand or just chuck the whole thing in the big drill press.

Still looking for a CO2 cylinder, though. Might have to buy a cheapo Chinese fire extinguisher. You can't get them retested here after a few years but (a) I'll probably be bored of Nitrous by then or (b) it's still cheaper to buy another new one than pay for the retest...

Reply to
PCPaul