This is going to cost me.....

Just pricing up bits:

So far, I've bought a pair of gas front shocks for £32 delivered (absolute bargain, IMHO).

Rear springs and shocks are £150-ish (30mm drop).

This is before I've had a quote for the welding.

Erk!

Reply to
SteveH

Starting to question your sanity?

Reply to
Conor

Well.....

Lets put it this way. Would you do the same with your Capri?

I say you would.

Reply to
SteveH

I won't bother to drag up a whole host of google links where you've positively slated people (Sleeker Carl being a rather prominent one) for spending "much more than it's ever realistically worth" on a car, then............... :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Oh yes, sounds very similar! Not to mention the time as well (unless of course its being done at a garage!).

I've been under the car banging to sump guard off the XR4x4 today and noticed there's quite a bad leak coming from the rad. The previous owner told me this but I didnt realise it was quite so bad. Luckily he gave me a spare one so no expense (except for some antifreeze), but that'll be my Sunday morning taken care of!

Really should give it a service too, as the plugs look about 5 years old, that'll be another few quid and a bit more time. Damn. The tappets really need adjusting too. Double damn.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

But I'm not doing this to a ropey Jap coupe.

I'm doing it to a car that fetches, quite frankly, silly money, when in restored or good original condition.

(I know of one that sold for £3k only last week, ffs)

It's a completely different kettle of fish - I'm dealing with an appreciating classic here.

Reply to
SteveH

Bad form, but my total bill will be around what Sleeker was going to spend on suspension bits......

Reply to
SteveH

You'll need it............. :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's peanuts, just be grateful you didn't decide to put a 1.8T into the Golf Cabriolet or another old VW ;-)

Reply to
Homer

Been meaning to ask, what exactly have you got and whats the final specs gonna be?

Reply to
Chet

Celica aint a ropey jap coupe! faster than that 75 heap of junk and i bet the electrics all work in the toyota still too!

i could understand spending a lot on the celica as you can get a lot more punch out of it, but messing with an alfa 75? you've been smoking some strong shit steve :)

Reply to
Vamp

I would say get shot before you spend too much. No, I wouldn't really, I would say go for it. Now you know what it is like.

So what if it costs two grand in the end, over the years, once it's done, it's done, and shouldn't need doing again, if done right.

you still get the car you wanted, and get to drive it at the times when you don't need to worry about schedules.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I would mess with a 75, they are wonderful cars, with fantastic engines. An alfa twink is a match or better for a 3S-GE, and for a bog stock 3S- GTE, it won't bog off the line, no lag, and it sounds fantastic.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Take a puffa, it gets awfully cold in Siberia.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Have stuck an Audi TT 180bhp engine into a Corrado with DTA ecu, more or less finished now and it's got 200bhp at the wheels :-)

Reply to
Homer

Lets say I have in the past.

Reply to
Conor

Can't remember the XR4 but if its the V6 and like the Capri, you usually find the OS bank of plugs hasn't been changed for donkeys years cos they're a pig to get at.

Reply to
Conor

Nah, they're a piece of piss.

Reply to