Thoughts on a Retro trackday car.

Yes, but at least you're not at stupid speed in order to drive it at

10/10.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

Sierra, as a compromise? Can sort the handling out pretty easily.

Reply to
Abo

Capri 2.8i. Plenty of them getting hooned around on track days and=20 =A31500 will get you one well up to it.

If he's hellbent on FWD, MK2 Fiesta and put a Zetec engine in. Its a=20 very easy conversion and requires next to sod all modification.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

I had thought of that. Might work ok.

Reply to
Elder

Job done!

Reply to
Abo

I see what you mean, but I meant, stuff *I* usually drive... ;)

Reply to
DervMan

This is true, apart from the Escort shares front wheel drive and the badge...

Reply to
DervMan

Seen that. I love how the auction ends the day after the MOT expires. Loverly.

Reply to
Elder

Aha! Going for the predictable as "night to follow day" ticket, eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which was why one of my criteria was not too fast.

Reply to
Elder

*shrug*

I stuffed that MX5 I had at a much lower speed than I'd hooned around in the Prelude at times.

The Prelude, aside from handling exceptionally, also had such niceties as 'ABS'.

Reply to
JackH

They have a reputation around these parts for spitting people off the road, do they not?

You might not be going at silly speed, but you're still much more likely to bin one than say a Prelude methinks.

Reply to
JackH

Hell, yes. Would it be me if I were to give any other reply?

Reply to
Conor

Well indeed not, but I didn't think recommending a 4xFord or an XJR as a track day car would work.

An XK150 would be good but they cost at least £40,0000 per year to race.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Change the seat in the £600 MX-5.

I am at least as tall as you. I wear £5 slip on Asda Moccasins to drive in because even trainers are too high. I removed the footrest next to the clutch for a bit of extra leeway.

My car has later MK2 heated seats which are higher than the ones in the MK1 and the earlier MK2s.

I fit.

It's not perfect but changing the seat for one with a lower squab would help.

I've driven my car with the drivers seat removed completely. It was almost ideal - I would almost certainly fit in with the roof up and a lid on.

If I find there's an easy way to bolt the seat belt mounting safely to the transmission tunnel I will be looking into making a seat out of polyurethane poured into a plastic bag.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well, one... And it was Vamp...

On those grounds, Carl better not get a Ka. (c;

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sorry, I was referring to MX5s and there are two of us in here that have binned them, and at least one other in UKRM IIRC who has done the same within the last year.

That's the other thing; I managed to spin my KA as well. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Dont bother with a 340 - you'll soon be bored of it in standard trim. In fact for a track slag you'd almost certainly need to sort the wallowy suspension and woefully inadequate brakes which wont be cheap. And with

70bhp(?) on tap they're really not very quick and probably are as slow as reckoned. However if you put a little bit more money in and find one converted with a Clio Williams engine, and all the appropriate upgrades that could be fun!

MR2 is a much better bet - good enough to do track days out the box and hugely entertaining. A mate of mine sold his recently, he used it on autotests, and it came with uprated suspension, decent pads, spare wheels/rubber etc etc and was up for £500 IIRC. Body was tatty, rear arches were finished with a rattle can (although quite well), but it was totally solid. Ideal for your needs!

Others to consider - 205/309/106/306 GTi, BX 16v, ZX Volcane, Xsara VTS, Carlton 3.0, E30 325i, MX5, 200SX. Well, they're the ones I'd consider anyway :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

When I got in, the roof was up, could operate the pedals OK, loads of=20 foot space even wearing my size 9 steelie boots. Leg and arm extension=20 was OK, without a lid, head room was OK, didn't think to take a lid for=20 a road test of a main car.

Problem was knees hitting the underside of the steering wheel or if I=20 moved them arround the side difficulty in getting higher gears and=20 rubbing against the side trim, annoying on the road, but bloody stupid=20 on a trackday car. Definatly wouldn't be able to get my hands round the=20 wheel quick enough for sharp turn ins without giving it the captain slow=20 shuffle, even with a smaller wheel.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

My brothers other thought was a VW Diesel to lower running costs. I said=20 as long as it runs on veggie, he said "Why?". Dumb ass.

I guess I should be looking 924, early 944, MK1 MR2 then. I know I fit=20 Toyotas, and should see if I fit the little Porsches then.