TI Update...

Got the TI back from the garage this week. It's been for a Service, MOT, Cambelt and Alternator-belt change (done 55k and it's a '97 R, so I thought it was about time :) Passed the MOT fine, except that my rear discs were heavily corroded so he's replaced them along with the pads. I also gave him a set of Goodridge Braided-Hoses to fit while he was at it. The rears went on fine, but the fronts had female connectors instead of male (!) so he had to modify my existing pipes to take them. Also swapped all the fluid for DOT 5.1 All up, it was £385 inc VAT - ah, the joys of living up North :)

Current mods are now as follows :

130w Main-beam bulbs Clear Side Repeaters LED Brake-Light Bulbs 17" BK161 Rims with 215/45/17 cheapo-tyres Black Diamond Combi front discs, and EBC Redstuff front pads Goodridge Braided-Hoses and DOT5.1 all-round Denso Iridium Plugs K&N Air-Filter Element GBE MK2a (with ceramic ball) Boost-Valve @ 13psi More info here
Inside, I've got Boost Gauge, Sub with internal amp, rear 6x9s running from 400w Amp, Twin Kenwood HeadUnits (one CD player, one Graphic Equalizer), and a 10-disc Changer.

Next up is a decent exhaust system - Garage dude said my stock setup is starting to blow. Dunno whether to go for a Powerflow or a Mongoose like Lordy's got. Mongoose is great, but no choice of tailpipes, and it's not cheap at £350 cat-back plus fitting. Nearest Powerflow dealer is 1.5 hours (depending on traffic) away in Leeds (Alpha Tyres - anyone heard of em ?).

Reply to
Nom

Deffo Alpha and not Alba ?

Reply to
Tony Bond

Hmmmm.

Worth 10% across the range?

Aquaplane city.

Maybe sensible, but looks like expensive tat to me.

Definitely a waste of time.

Cheaper than OEM over time.

How to spit the cogs from the 'box quicker than a standard car.

Hmmmm..... been reading Max Power?

OEM pattern part. Saves a fortune.

Reply to
SteveH

Alba tyre did a decent job of my tracking, but charged £25 for it (!). They do do exhausts, bloke with a Clio came in to have one put on whilst I was there.

Reply to
Doki

Could of done it for £100. ah, the joys of working on the car yourself :) Talking of which, its clutch tomorrow afternoon, wheel bearings monday evening, uprated front brakes on tuesday (vented ones at last). Ah, the joys of owning a knackered old pug :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not seen under the bonnet of one of these then ? :)

Reply to
Lordy

well if some bloke at a garage can do it, then i'm sure anyone else could! thats what a haynes manual is for!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In article , snipped-for-privacy@recycle.bin spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Pattern as in replicated from the same pattern of the original. Same shate and look, but quality of materials is what can make them cheaper.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

C'ept the Haynes only cover Honda engine variants. Which, as we all know, was put in the wrong way round ;)

The Book (tm) is good for pretty much everything else though. Rover manuals on CD are ten a penny on ebay too - and they do cover the Ti...

Reply to
Chris Costello

Deffo "Alpha Tyres" -

Nom

How do you find Redstuff for normal use? I have a set that I keep for trackdays in my Ti, and the first lap is purely taken as an exercise in brake warming. 'Parade' style track introductions are scarey as the brakes feel as if I've changed the fluid for fizzy pop. Once the pads are warm then the stopping performance is great (Binbrook last December, I was using the same brake point as an opentop kit car with

110BHP) for a 200yd ton to 45 braking zone (with downshifts included) into a 90 right. Plenty run off though - and the ABS kicked in if there was a sniff of damp...

Do the BD discs help when the pads are cold? Like for any 'idiot pulled out' manouvers on long runs?

Reply to
Chris Costello

Headlights are CRAP. Now I can see where I'm going :)

Not at all - they're no better/worse than the Dunlop Sports I had previously. Anyhow, we've had this discussion many times. If you think expensive tyres are much better, then you buy em !

Eh ? Not expensive at all. The discs were less than the OEM ones. Pads, fluid and hoses were about £100 in total.

?!?!? It's a PETROL Turbo - it wouldn't GO without Spark Plugs ! Have you gone mad ?

Yup - can't go wrong for £30.

Yup :) I'm not a long-term owner though, so I'm not bothered about that.

Nope - it's a joke of a mag ! Used to read Revs until a few of years ago, when it went crap. Then took up CCC, and now that's died :(

An OEM exhaust from Rover is a shade over NINE HUNDRED QUID (for the full system). No idea on prices for pattern copies, but I'm happy to pay £300 for a stainless Powerflow with a nice noise and a pretty tailpipe.

I think you're in the wrong group Steve - this is uk.rec.cars.MODIFICATIONS !

Reply to
Nom

No, cos parts alone were £124.96 inc VAT. It was in the garage for three days, during which time he worked on it for

6.2 hours. If I'd done it myself it would have took a LOT longer, I'd have no gaurantee whatsoever, and no courtesy car, so I'd have to have taken a week off work. I've got better things to do with my time than fix my car - I'd much rather pay the £260 :)

:)

Reply to
Nom

I've never had any issue with them at all - if I'm pressing on then they warm up after one or two hard stops. They're the new V2s - yours may be the older version ? I've been very pleased with them - this set will be dead soon (1 year and

7000 miles so far :) and I'll be replacing em with the same again.
Reply to
Nom

That's down to crap reflector design. Now all you're doing is blinding oncoming drivers.

I was referring more to the width and profile...... although cheapo tyres won't help. Mind, the Ti has never been all that good with front end grip, so you probably won't notice the difference.

And OEM pattern bits would have been how much cheaper?

Aye, but fancy plugs don't actually do anything more than a standard plug. (OK, in some engines a specific plug can make a difference, but all the 'go faster' plugs on the market are snake oil).

Good point.

What is the point in a 400W stereo in a car? - that's more than my separates put out, ffs!

Again, OEM pattern parts - massive savings to be made.

There's very few inline-4s that make anything approaching a 'nice noise'

- those that do tend to be old-school engines before emissions controls etc.

Seems more like uk.rec.cars.STICK.ON.TAT.AND.SNAKE.OIL these days.

Reply to
SteveH

only if he drives around with main beam on, which i dont think he will be doing!

uk.rec.cars.MODIFICATIONS

Whats upgrading brakes, putting a decent exhuast on etc etc got to do with putting stick-on-tat on?

On a different note, i've just given up changing the clutch on my car since the torx pattern on one of the gearbox bolts as sheared off. Any idea how to get it off? Tried mole grips, pipe wrench and banging a socket on but it aint budging and i'm getting very pissed off!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

yep :(

bloody good idea, i've got some chemical metal somewhere.

cheers mate!"

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not too sure what version mine are, but I got them about a year ago after my first trackday - brake fade on the way to the Foggy Esses at Donnington is a sphincter tightener.

I guess knowing what the pads are like will always help. I've only used mine on track (and a few evening runs to bed them in).

Reply to
Chris Costello

I've used em for a few years now (pads and discs), and never had a problem. They only get road use though - I've never been on a track.

I'm sure they're excellent, but a set for the TI is ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN POUNDS !

contrast to the £55 I pay for the Redstuff .

You clearly have too much money :)

Reply to
Nom

lol, that's quite possibly the funniest 'reason' I've heard yet.

Yus, keeping the same shate is always important :)

Reply to
Lordy