Today I want a

It's running a brand new pair of Dunlop somethings on the front and a Contis on the back.

It gave a massive 'oh shit' understeery hell moment exiting a roundabout yesterday at a speed which would have left the Passat completely un-ruffled. I wouldn't even compare it with a 156, as that would just be embarrassing for the Focus.

I really do fail to see why they get such decent reviews.

Reply to
SteveH

That'll be the dunplops, I have dunlop SP2000 (or something like that) on the front at the moment, and Nexen N3000 on the back. Mine understeers.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I had the same Dunlops on the Passat and never had any issues. The Bridgestones were better, but I was banned from having those.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't think I could work for a company that put the price of the tyres over the life of the employee.

Reply to
Elder

It's the same company that gives its staff Toyota Prius. HTH.

Reply to
Pete M

Shame you're both wrong, really.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

My Leon is currently riding on embarrasing budget things, fitted by the previous owner not that long ago at a guess. They're actually not *that* bad, unless you give it too much welly.

They're a National budget brand (millenium) IIRC. personally I'm waiting for them to wear out enough to replace. Not cheap, as they're 17".

Reply to
Chris Bartram

We're not allowed to *think* things without you saying we're wrong now?

Didn't you say that "The Prius is the standard issue company car" or some such guff when they wouldn't let you pollute usenet with a billion more "Which repmobile will make me feel smug and superior?" posts?

Only going off what you tell us, besides, the tyres on the Pious are as dodgy as something Teflon Fred would be ashamed to sell.

Reply to
Pete M

You have a real issue with people who get issued company cars, don't you?

I can only assume this is because you were the one employed to drive them to us smug and superior types, rather than being in a job which came with a car yourself.

I find it all rather amusing that you believe the only consideration behind a company car choice is for prestige reasons - I'm afraid it's just another telling sign of the common Scouse inferiority complex.

Reply to
SteveH

Oooh, I just hit a nerve with the Pseudo Executive Welsh Manc.

Reply to
Pete M

*sigh*

Wrong again, I'm afraid.

Still, nevermind. Better get those trade plates ready for another hard day shunting cars around for others.

Reply to
SteveH

You use trade plates now? Excellent.

Reply to
Pete M

How clever of you.

0-1

Oh dear.....

Reply to
SteveH

Snap. Exactly what the Activa went to/from. Then Dervy tells me yesterday that he's got Primacies on his Saab.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It's the tyres. Put the Contis on the front and it'll be a different beast entirely.

Reply to
Conor

Different car, different chassis, different weight distribution.

Reply to
Conor

I've done circa 60k miles on this particular type of tyre, and never once had issues with them before.

If it's really that sensitive to tyre choice, then something is seriously wrong with the chassis setup. It's no Lotus Elise - which is the kind of car you'd expect to be ultra-sensitive to tyre choice.

Reply to
SteveH

It isn't? All those people who said it was over the years must have been lying.

Reply to
Conor

So you admit they've put on tyres designed for longevity rather than grip but you blame the car for understeering?

Reply to
Conor

I'd happily swap this thing for a Fiat Bravo, or even a decent spec Grande Punto. It's not about prestige, it's about having something you're happy to live with much of the time.

There was a case for a prestige badge in my last role due to the external customers I dealt with - there isn't now, as I only deal with internals.

Sod it, if I could, I'd swap it for a Fiat 500 Abarth SS.

Reply to
SteveH