Top 5 project cars

Now I do like that, very pretty. Don't like the head lights much but I can see why anyone would like one!

Reply to
REMUS

Yeah, I meant bore and stroke. I was talking to a guy with an SD1 years ago and he claimed that his engine was upped to 4.2l. The car was tidy as f*ck so I didn't see any reason to doubt him. The Range Rover 4.2l was also out at the time so this might have clouded my reasoning.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Aye. Which would mean nearer £5000.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:cpgc11$p4p$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, REMUS decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

right, for £2k what would I buy?

1) Rover SD1 Vitesse 2) Capri 3.0S 3) Mk2 Escort 2.0 4) Alfa 75 3.0 5) Capri 2.8i

Easy, all tweakable, all fun to drive, all rear wheel drive, and none of them made by Vauxhall.

Reply to
Pete M

It's not impossible, but the problem is finding pistons and liners that will fit, even if the block can take it. I've heard (on here?) about a 1000 BHP rover v8 engine though, so I don't want to discount the notion of larger bores.

That's a special block, natch, but these things are all a bit borderline. Lovely engine and lots of people out there messing with it. :)

Reply to
Questions

Now I do like that, very pretty. Don't like the head lights much but I can> see why anyone would like one!

Identical to the one I had a few years ago apart from the wheels, wish I hadn't sold it now :-(

Reply to
Homer

Similar in what way apart from both having the same engine and being made by Toyota?

Reply to
Homer

performance/handling/reliability

maybe not handling as much as the others but they cant be that worse ;)

Reply to
Mason

Good drift racing video here to show how good these cars really are once they've got a decent amount of power.

Homer

I guess that's the advantage of going for that engine; many people have been tuning them in different ways, for many years :)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Ok in no particular order:

Polo G40 [1] Karmann ghia [2] Type 3 notch back [1] Mk1 Sirocco

944 [1] Ok so I already have one that I got for under £2k [2] Ok so I have 3 already one was under £2k
Reply to
Depresion

I don't know, are you sure the mr2's structural strength is equal to the AE86? Is the suspension and diff set up the same, I doubt it...

Reply to
REMUS

Well handling RWD coupes that are reliable and rusty!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Exactly, i drive a gold 'girly' car and am proud of it. Makes it even more amusing when guys in their 'straight' hot hatches try and have a go.

In terms of structural strength i'd imagine both are pretty weak TBH. I dont know about the AE86 but the MR2 has coilovers all round and is often hailed as one of the best handling cars of its time. I do know that the weight distribution is 53/47 (f/r) for the AE86 and 45/55 for the MR2, so both pretty good. Most MR2s have a normal diff with LSD ones available, but the AE86 had LSD as standard. But the MR2 has the benefit of a Supercharged engined model too, not sure if that made is way into a Corrola.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

IIRC you can get SC'd AE86's

Reply to
Mason

Hmmm did they make them or was it just a popular mod?

Not sure now.

I'm sure i saw one for sale but cant remember the url. was something like bonsai-cars but cant seem to find it :o(

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Well its the same engine with a SC bolted on for good measure, so would probably be a popular mod whether it came standard or not. These days you can get an AE92 or AE101 engine, which is slightly better spec to use in such a conversion giving 165bhp and 155ftlb in standard form or 200bhp without much trouble at all.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Very nice!

Reply to
REMUS

Quick look at the Fensport website (Toyota geniuses!) doesnt list the Supercharged model as standard for an AE86

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've seen plenty with the owners aparently boasting 200+bhp with minimal mods so doesnt surprise me.

I'd be surprised if they didnt drop it in as standard on some model (i'm 90% convinced that they did but cant find the damn site still).

Reply to
Mason