Reply to
Vamp

I've got a cold too! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

it aint no cold! lol

Reply to
Vamp

I'll have the new Marcos, please. That looks a bit mental.

Reply to
SteveH

Good lord that was a special car.

Reply to
DanTXD

Mistake corrected ;-P

Reply to
SteveH

Heh - like it even matters when you can go 0-200 faster than a McLaren F1 can go 120-200, and your indicator stalk cost £4000 :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Just slightly. Would have like to seen a bit more use of the power. It's all well and good JC going on about how quick it is, but you cant really appreciate it from some in car footage on some French A roads. The F1 vs Veyron test would be a good demonstration!!

Back to reality though, and that Marcos was pretty cool!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Didn't I read somewhere that Clarkson said off the record he got it to

240mph? Probably posted somewhere in here? Well, it would be rude not to ;-)
Reply to
DanTXD

Mega looking thing, eh? Makes quite a good noise too, especially all that electrical whining on start up. Sounds like a proper piece of industrial cleverness in a bar of soap body. Top stuff.

I think that Jeremy Clarkson maybe onto something about the Concorde-of-the-car-world thing too, doesn't seem to be many reasons to let engineers out to play anymore, sadly (and quite shamefully, in my not so humble opinion).

Still, at least the technology in that thing will eventually trickle down to more prosaic motors. If they can help to improve the reliability of things even further; result.

Do you know whether or not the gearbox is one of thom thar fancy DSG units (or whatever the acronym is) or not? Just curious.

Reply to
conkersack

Shame they didn't send it round the test track though. Could have got Mansell to drive it, he's a bit of a savage.

Reply to
conkersack

It's a dual clutch job yea - in Evo they talk about how it was made, and how they had to basically invent a new alloy to make it out of, because nothing current would take the stress!

Reply to
DanTXD

I bet he did. But you cant go plastering that over the TV, so it was a bit of a waste really. Should have got Stig in it round the track!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Mansell is a legend - his lap was well impressive.

It is a shame we didn't see the Veyron go round the track - but they had it there, you just know they all had a go and the Stig took it round...

Reply to
DanTXD

Well, at least some good research will have come out of it, if nothing else.

Reply to
conkersack

Sort of, in a "wouldn't mind a go" sort of way. however if Mr Clarkson really wanted to piss on Hamster & Slow's chips he would do the drive in something much more suitable. Such as a Mondeo diesel or an Avensis Diesel, or an Audi A6.

Not because these are "better" cars, but most of them could probably do the entire routew without stopping for fuel. Which means that point to point they will be faster than any exoticar.

OTOH having just done 250 miles in a Mondeo diesel, I think that whereas the car itself is an under-rated vehicle, the bloody seats are s**te, inducing back and bum ache on any drive over 1200 miles.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think I read that one too. The gearbox alone takes something like 20l of oil. Immense!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

There's more info on the Bugatti site.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I was just playing 'spot the bits they dragged out of the VAG parts catalogue' whilst watching that.

Idiot lights taken from a late 90s Golf / Passat, a couple of Passat engines welded together and a MkV GTI gearbox. Those wheels looked just like S6 / S8 items, too.

Sadly, it seems the Germans just don't understand the concept of such cars.

Reply to
SteveH