Torque Steer

Why to people make out it's such a big problem?

Reply to
Abo

It's not, but as someone who much prefers RWD cars, it's a feature I don't like, and one I'd rather do without. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

'cos some of us drive RWD cars, and torque-steery FWD cars feel s**te in comparison. IMHO of course :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

And if you had any decent power to weight ratio you would see it as a big problem. Along with all the other horid feeling fwd handling traits!

Reply to
Burgerman

I drove a Mini Cooper S once, that had been fettled to around the 200bhp mark, and it didn't torque steer at all. Yet the new Astra VXR appears to torque steer massively, what's the mini's secret then? And why can't Vx copy it?

Reply to
DanTXD

My nephews got a stock one. Its horrible to drive and torque steers all over the place. You either dont recognise it or didnt give it any!

And 200bhp is nothing. Damn. Motorbikes sometimes have more!

Try a 5 or 800 hp car with front drive! Cant find one? I wonder why!!!

Just ignore me I am biased I HATE front drive cars. They simply offend my mechanical sensibilities. I see no benefit other than to the manufacturer, at the detriment of all car users. Other than the ones that are so useless at driving they cant see any problem!

Burgerman.

Reply to
Burgerman

But all the press/motoring types all agree the Cooper S doesn't torque steer. Of course, it could be that as it wasn't my car, and it was worth a few quid, that I wasn't actually pushing it very hard :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Even on the smallest Minis you could feel some torque steer. Try pulling away hard with your hands off the wheel. ;-)

Even my old Landcrab - heavy and with only 85 bhp had lots of it. But I did have a smaller steering wheel than standard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But any car thats front drive that can spin a wheel HAS to torque steer even without a lsd. Simply because one wheel has bugger all grip and the other has. So for an instant while the spinning wheel accelerates it has little grip. The other wheel still sees more torque because the energy in the spinning side is going "wasted" into accelerating the mass of the shaft/wheel/brake assembly.

So during this burst of acceleration one side pulls the car (and the steering wheel) and the other does not. Now with perfect geometry, and 0mm wide tyres there would be no steering tug felt. Other than the type you would feel as the car is "towed" from one corner. But steering geometry a) is far from perfecrt in this respect (to be so would remove all "feel" from the steering system. And b) tyres are much wider than 0mm like 220 or whatever! Now the imaginary pivot point and the tyres contact patch centre would need to be in the same place to get no torque steer. They cant be because camber changes with suspension movement, the fact that the road isnt ever flat etc all conspire against this. It moves around. It only needs to average say 5mm out and 200 bhp drags the wheel around in your hands...

We wont mention the fwd turning circle, the inherent understeer, the "heavier and more unweildy handling", the engine rocking back and forth, the unnatural feel, the fact that the back wheels need to be right at the back of the car to give the front wheels some weight to try to reduce the understeer, and the acc wheelspin etc etc will we!

Reply to
Burgerman

I can

NeedforSwede2

bit quick

NeedforSwede2

And it doesnt spin or torquesteer???

Reply to
Burgerman

800 bhp and it runs 12.6!!! My brothers sierra with 300 ish bhp was FASTER! Porkies... or bulshit somewhere!
Reply to
Burgerman

And that also proves why you don't see many, 13.05 quarter mile with 590bhp isn't exactly good.

Reply to
Jack

Did you post the wrong link? A 12.6 quarter mile from 600bhp isn't quick.

Reply to
Jack

Try driving a car with ALOT of power that suffers from it and you'll see exactly what the problem is. Try it on a straight, see where you end up and then imagine you were trying to control it through a set of S bends.

Reply to
Conor

Well, after spending all that money, it still stays on the road. Can't be a bad thing.

I do know of one 300BHP + 9000 that takes on Ferraris and 911 turbos at trackdays, and another 400+ maptun Stage 6+ from Scotland that is his daily driver.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

The Swift torque steered pretty badly when it wasnt wheel spinning. Didnt find it a particular problem at the time, mostly amusing, but it's so nice to have all RWD cars now that just plant the power and go.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I have, the Megane was pushing out 220bhp had plenty of torque steer. Once you knew what to expect it wasn't an issue, you just adapted to it.

I haven't watched touring cars for ages, but remember in-car shots from e.g. the Laguna/Mondeo/Accord era cars? They had armfuls of torquesteer...

Reply to
Abo

590bhp from just over 1 bar boost? Rubbish!!!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..