Trackday was intense.

Small but impressive on track presence. A Sonnet 2 stroke A 96 two stroke A 96 V4 in full historic gravel spec. A group A Saab 99 A Saab 900 8 valve turbo former Mobil series race car that had been re- instated for the road, after being owned by Mike Philpott (former club chairman). A group A Favorit in road livery (no branding). A tweaked Rapid with a buggered engine (still quick though, just needed recovery to home to fit the spare engine tomorrow) A very tweaked Fabia VRs that had been rollered at 190BHP. He has plans involving turbos, pumps, injectors and a decent FMIC. And a twin carb 1800 Volvo PV544 with Saab 9000 seats for comfort and Safety. a 1380 Mini owned by the brother of the 99. Photos and a few vids to follow. Unfornatley missed videoing the off where the mini went onto the grass sifrways and nearly took out a Marshal's stand while going through every corner sideways chasing his brother.

Reply to
Elder

Was there anything in the way of a 500bhp 9-5 or such creations? They always impress me :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Nah, old stuff with Silly twin carbs, and Favorits with 3rd party ECUs and multi point injection. Although a 190BHP Fabia vRS driven by a green mohican'd school teacher with Tats and para boots was pretty impressive, especially with the soot it belched on gear changes and the mes he made shredding his tyres.

Reply to
Elder

That sounds pretty sweet - pics? vids?

Reply to
DanTXD

Whoah there !!!

And that's a bad thing ? :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

In the same way as watrching paint dry I guess?

Reply to
Ken

nooooooooo, that is a very good thing. I think the most techologically advanced car there was Kens Favorit with 3rd party ECU, and a 900 6 Valve turbo with race tweaked K-Jet.

Reply to
Elder

In the same as any motorsport spectating, except you can't ask Sterling Moss, Jackie Stewart, Stig Blomquist or John Haughland to take you out for a spin, when you see them giving display laps at an event.

These were cars that needed tweaking, needed an owner to kow what is happening under the hood, because sometimes it doesn't happen. Have you even heard a car with a full rally spec two stroke engine? Especially with 3 cylinders?

Reply to
Elder

What Ken/Chris/Gimp really wants to know is can you ask them about inconel exhausts?

Reply to
ThePunisher

A good idea...............no one on here seems to have much of a clue!

Ken

I don't drive F1, I don't build F1 cars, and I don't have to account for the budget of an F1 team, so why the f*ck would I care what the intrinsic advantages of inconel over stainless were.

If you were talking about about MMC mountain bikes frame, composite spokes and titanium bottom bracket axles I may be vagualy interested as I used to be quite nrdy as a cyclist.

With my cars however, space and budget is minimal, so I tend to stick to what is both tried and tested and dyno proven by other owners, before sticking my neck out and trying it myself.

Reply to
Elder

My point regarding inconel was its specific use in regard to the manufacture of exhaust manifolds.

The fact that no one seemed to have much of a clue about this, struck me as a bit strange, as did some posters suggesting inconel is stainless steel, and filth contending that a non heat resistant grade of stainless would be specified for making the rotor assembly of a gas turbine engine....................

Ken

Depends if it eats jets or not. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The thing is, while I love to learn about unfamiliar materials, it tends to be those that one day I might be able use at home. Even titatium would be difficult to home weld, and impossible without TIG, although inconel appears to be a slightly better proposition for a home TIG owner. It does appear to have a remarkably low iron content though. Good background stuff here.

Elder