Tractability.

No, not tractorbility, tractability.

Ye olde golf excels at being happy in a high gear. I'm not saying that a big block v8 has anything to worry about, but it'll happily pull from 6-700rpm in 5th gear.

I feel that the older I get, the lower I want to rev the engine. I must do an equation some time to demonstrate this.

Anyway, these days I find myself changing up at anything between 1200 and

1800rpm.

I'm also to be found crusing along the M73 behind a truck at an indicated

57mph whilst all of the good people .

Should I see a doctor ?

P.S. I do still give it a bit of WOT all the way around to the red line every day.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

No, just buy diesel.

Reply to
Conor

Diesel's don't pull until at least 2000rpm.

That's the upper slopes for me these days...

:-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Its time for a V8. I think you should V8 an MX-5. I'd love to have a shot in one.

My MX-5 labours badly at anything under about 2000rpms. Or maybe I just tell myself that it does.

...all of the good people...?

I've found that driving sensibly in the MX-5 nets me a maximum extra

3mpg ofver driving how I like and 6mpg over driving like a complete idiot. I have come to the conclusion that the slowness it isn't worth the opportunity cost of driving a car I bought to enjoy.

The Peugeot is more noticeable in its MPG variability. The difference is more like 28mpg if being silly (also denoted by sizzling brakes),

38mpg for just making mechanically unsympathetic progress and 45mpg+ if driven with a modicum of sensibleness.

My 1.1 106 is not a car blessed with much in the way of torques but it is reasonably tractable, 3000rpm at 70mph may have something to do with that.

I live a long way from a motorway, and I generally get to WOT/Redline past any trucks on my commute.

I fnd that it is much less stressful with the trucks on a busy motorway/dualler.

(c: Good lad.

Sounds like you are missing a turdodiesel in your life though.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Tell my truck that. It pulled from 900RPM.

Reply to
Conor

And revved to ?.....

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It'd go to 2500 but you'd want to be changing gear by 2000 so it fits the bill perfectly. Should also get 15-20MPG out of it as well if you're running tractor unit only.

Reply to
Conor

And that's still a high-speed diesel :-)

Reply to
Clive George

The wonder of modern fuel injection and ignition allow silly engine speeds. I'm sure if you read your owners manual you will find warnings about "lugging". Yes it's smooth but it's still "lugging".

Reply to
Peter Hill