Transporting an engine / gearbox...

I've got a van. I've also clocked an ABF and box on ebay that's on a pallet. However, the bloke who's got it has no fork truck. Is there any possibility of me and someone else getting said box and engine into the van?

Reply to
Doki

How heavy is an ABF? Is it attached to the 'box? Any chance of separating them and doing it one at a time?

My only real experience of lifting engines is with Pintos. I'm not very strong, but I can't even come close to lifting a Pinto. They're not renowned for being particularly light. Oh yes and Kawasaki ZX10 engines, which are easily liftable with 2 people. I can quite easily lift a Peugeot 205's Gearbox.

I'd suggest taking a big jack and a lot of blocks of wood or tyres or something so you can jack one side of the pallet up, chock it, jack the other side, chock it, etc. Till you're at the height of the rear of the van and push it in. Won't be as quick as a forkie, but it might work.

I got a palletised small topper in a Tail-Lifted Luton by myself. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Get an engine hoist -we call it a giraffe. It easily lifts 500 kg and can ride with it. It folds on itselve for easy storage.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Hire an engine lifting crane? If the pallet is on concrete etc you should be able to wheel it in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To add - if on solid enough ground to lift the lump safely to the required height just back the van in rather than move the hoist.

The one I hired dismantled such that it could be handled by one man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TBH, with what pallet networks are charging, I'd let them collect it for you. They'll send a bloke round with a wagon with a tail-lift, chuck it on the back of the wagon and deliver it to you the next day probably a whole lot cheaper than the fuel it'd cost you to get it yourself.

Reply to
Conor

For the cost of the crane hire, you could probably get a company like Pallex to collect it and deliver it to you.

Reply to
Conor

3 of us lifted a RV8 into a van, getting it out with only 2 of us was a bit harder, but the gear box was split from it.
Reply to
Depresion

I have a fork truck at home, so I've not really got any need for an engine crane... OTOH an engine stand would be a nice thing to have.

Reply to
Doki

An undressed Zetec is an easy 2 man lift.

A Pinro weighs more than the moon.

Don't know about an ABF.

Whatever the case, get the box off first - that's a definite.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It took 3 of us to lift my complete RV8 into a van. But I was the weakest link there - the other 2 could have probably *just* struggled to get it in. That weighs approx 220kg I'd guess. Engine crane to get it out at my end was much easier :)

A little 4 pot MR2 lump (1.6) was a whole lot easier for 3 of us to lift into the back of my 360.

I guess an ABF is probably somewhere in between the 2 of these, so if you split the box from the engine (which'll take a few minutes) you could probably get it in assuming you're both not utter weaklings!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

How are you getting the old engine out of the van? Have you considered there may be some fabrication involved?

Reply to
Mark W

Where's it coming from, and is it going to Sheffield?

Reply to
Pete M

One under each arm?

Reply to
Depresion

LOL, nah, one at a time...

Reply to
Pete M

LOL. So do elephants...

Reply to
PCPaul

That would be interesting. 150bhp in a Citroen Dispatch on the worst tyres I've ever driven on...

Reply to
Doki

Huddersfield to outside Chesterfield.

Reply to
Doki

Bah. It's heading towards £300 territory by the looks of it. I'm inclined to get that 16V broken and buy a crash damaged MK3 16V to ensure I've got

*everything*. In fact, if you come across any crash damanged MK3s for the right money...
Reply to
Doki