triumph herald 1200,,,,,,, Engine swap ?????

Hi all I live in England UK I have a 1967 triumph herald and would like to swap the enging in it for something more modern, with fuel injection if possible. ((Yes i know its sacrilage)) but the problem is finding a engine with gearbox for a rear wheel drive box attached.

Any one got any links or information where i can get engine + gearbox mounts or mountings to fit an engine with out too much trouble .???? or know of any places where they do conversion kits that will alow you to fit one sort of engine to another sort of gearbox. ????

Also is there any where i can get a very good chassis for the herald>>>

All help very welome

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

Can't remember who does the bits, but there's several companies out there who offer the bits to convert a Rover K-series or Ford Zetec engine to RWD using a Ford Sierra 'box.

Reply to
SteveH

Rover V8, Nitrous, twin turbos... YKIMS!

Reply to
Pete M

I forgot to mention that i do not realy want to go above 1600CC in enging size..............

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

And about an inch before the axle blows.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've seen older MG Midgets and AH Sprites with older Toyota Corolla engines and 5 spd trans in them. Probably just the 5 spd and reliability of the Toyota would be worth it there. The engine you have is easy to work on and parts are plentiful. Why not just buy a newer used car and keep yours for a collector car.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Toyota 4AGE 1.6 16V, easily obtained and you can use a RWD gearbox from an AE86 Corolla. Also available with a supercharger called the 4AGZE if you want more power.

Homer.

Reply to
Homer

Hi At the moment i do have a second car, but being on disability benifits, i can not afford to keep them both, and would like to keep the triumph. Also i have no where to keep the car off of the road, an i live in an area where I have to puchase permits for each car. from the council to park out side of my home The engine (original1200) only do (on a run) about 75 - 80 mpg on 10£ (about 12.5 litres) of fuel, but on the more modern cars (1300cc with injection) i usualy get around 100 - 120 to the £10, which makes quite a differance at the end of the day, I love the style of the triumph, and the style of the older cars, my last one was a super minx 1775cc, but i had a lot of trouble getting the parts to keep it on the road, so it had to go, Hence now i have the triumph.......

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

Nice engine, very much like the Lotus twin cam but without the regular rebuilds.

RAW do a bellhousing conversion for the Ford type9 'box

HTH

Reply to
Tony Bond

With Herald high pivot swing axle rear suspension - it would be very frightening indeed

Reply to
dilbert

Hello,

I haven't done thse kinds of engine swaps. My big thing was fitting a=20 Fiat 126 engine into a Fiat 500 (quite easy to do).

Some ideas of rear-engined cars:

Air Cooled: Fiat 500/126 (oh, that is going down an engine size). Volkswagon Bug Volkswagon Bus Chevrolet Corvair

Water Cooled Fiats 600 & 850 Volkswagon Vanagon (newer) Pontiac Fiero

And, of course some of the Lotus and Ferarri cars.

I don't know if the Fiero made it to Europe, but I believe that it is a=20 popular kit-car donar vehicle in the USA. =20

I would imagine that a transverse mounted front-wheel drive engine could=20 be mounted in the rear of a car, but perhaps there would be size=20 limitations and weight distribution problems as well as quite a hassle=20 re-arranging the engine compartment.

----- Clifford -----

Reply to
Clifford Keele

Obviously swapping for a Toyota 4AGE egnine (the AE86 model of Corolla it was fitted in mentioned by someone else is becoming pretty expensive as people want them for drifting, probably best to try and find one in another model IMO) should give you better mpg and be more reliable, but what's the conversion going to cost? If you're not doing loads of miles it could take a long while to get the initial outlay of the engine swap back.

Reply to
Doki

Herald with a Toyota Starlet engine here:

Willy Eckerslyke

: The engine (original1200) only do (on a run) about 75 - 80 mpg on 10£ : (about 12.5 litres) of fuel

Mend the Herald. Mine costs almost spot on 10p per mile in fuel. You will buy a hell of a lot of petrol with the money you will spend on a difefrent engine and gearbox, the costs of putting them in and the increased insurance.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

A 1.4 K series with the stock MPI will give you 103bhp right out of the box and make fore a very brisk performer. Not sure what it was, but the last one i saw had a 5 speed box which made high speed cruising alot more relaxing...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

G'wan, g'wan, g'wan!

Reply to
Jamesy

Fitting the K16 isn't straight forward, mating it to the Ford type 9 gearbox requires a custom alloy bellhousing (although apparently a type 9 from a

2.3 Sierra which hasd a different input shaft can be mated via an adaptor plate), the starter ring gear clutch and flywheel also created problems, and of course the later cars have a security system built into the ecu keyed to the tooth pattern on the engine reluctor gear. Fitting the 8 valve single cam carb version from a Metro which has a conventional distributer would be less complex but the problems with the starter, clutch and flywheel remain.
Reply to
dilbert

Seen a lotus Twincam in the back of a 500

Reply to
dilbert

That'll teach him to look where he's going.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Saw an Impreza Turbo engine in the back of a Hillman Imp at a hillclimb once..

Reply to
Pete M