Tuning Ford TDCi Engines

I've had a good Google for tuning the engines in the current Fiesta and Mondeo models. Because they're so new, there's little information. Anyone know of somewhere that has got some good results, and what I should expect for my money? The Fiesta has 68bhp as standard. Looking at the chip for the BMW 330d, it gets almost 100bhp/litre when chipped. Applying that sort of specific power output, almost 140bhp would be quite nice in a Fiesta ;-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

It's not going to happen (reliably) without an intercooler!

Do some Googling for superchips, Van Aaken Developments, and Allard Turbo Sport, you'll find plenty of information on the Ford / PSA TDCi donks...

Reply to
DervMan

Rica have a 95bhp 212Nm chip....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

URL?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

True!

I'll get Googling! I found the Superchips stuff, and Allard Turbo Sport. Van Aaken is a new one to me.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Why?

It's a diesel.

If you want decent performance buy a petrol.....

Reply to
SteveH

Correct.

.....and if you want economy, buy a diesel. Quite simple really. A plug-in ECU to develop more power with the addition of an intercooler, and a switch to turn it off when I want 75mpg.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yea Van Aaken do these switches. I've always fancied trying one with a massive power hike, like you said, 70bhp to 140bhp or summet, letm summet overtake, press the button, and fly back past :D Or, let some chav get alongside, and then press the button, shove ass out of window, and dissappear :D

Reply to
Dan405

Tim S Kemp

Don't worry about SteveH, he's still smarting after Alfa introduced diesels all those years ago... :)

Reply to
DervMan

GAH !

Don't send him to those monkeys !

Reply to
Nom

Van Aaken and Allard are the people to see.

AVOID Superchips !

Reply to
Nom

Er, what ?

If he'd chosen a 68bhp Petrol engine instead of his 68bhp Diesel engine, then his performance would clearly be exactly the same !

Reply to
Nom

OK, I'll see what they can do.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

No it wouldn't.

Reply to
SteveH

Depends on gearing etc, but the diesel would most likely be slower off the mark, slower at the top end, but would have a better in-gear pull from 30-70 ish speeds. Through the gears the petrol would cane the oil burner.

Oh, and the diesel would also be heavier, giving it a significantly worse power / weight ratio ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Sure it would. Actually, as diesel engines tend to produce a higher average power output versus peak power output, the diesel would most likely be the faster, and more flexible vehicle.

There you have a point. Big heavy turbo = more weight.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

No, you're right, the diesel would outperform the petrol

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

:)

Reply to
DervMan

Drop the 1.4 TDCi on one side of some scales, and the 1.3 Duratec on t'other, go on, I dare you...

Reply to
DervMan