Turbo power

Cool it with engine coolant, 90 deg or what ever of water wont be a problem for its brearings or winding, but it would prob need oil fed bearings. Oh and see my other post about power produced, lol

Reply to
Ed

Actually I did manage to bump start my car with a flat battery. Didnt have enough to start but did to push it lol.

Reply to
Ed

NOT a good idea in a modern car. You can do all sorts of damage to all sorts of things !

Not sure how advanced your Micra is, but both my last two cars have specifically said in the manual, not to push-start them under any circumstances.

Reply to
Nom

Hmm, a search for peltier effect heat pumps comes up with some interesting figures, there are modules that use a 60 degree heat difference to generate 50 watts at 14 volts.

That's not large engine power, but it's a lot for electricity. Half a dozen on the bonnet / wings, fed with coolant at about 90 centigrade with 30 ambient, gives me 40 amps at 12 volts, easily enough for most cars. They're only an inch and a half square too, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to limit oneself if more is needed, e.g. putting a hundred on would be reasonable and at 10 dollars a pop, that's an affordable sort of cost for 5KW of free energy that can be used to power up batteries and add some torque on demand, as well as taking off the load of an alternator and reducing my engine cooling issues.

Might be able to combine higher temperature devices with an oil cooler too, for quick cooling and storing the energy to be used later for accelerating again, or maybe electric oil and water pumps, still more loads that can be taken off the engine. Hmm...

Reply to
Sales!

Im not sure its anywhere near that much, do you have a link you can show me? , if they did work this well do you not think they would be everywhere! :) :)

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I don't know how serious this whole conversation is, but the whole idea is doomed to failure.

A turbo spins very very fast, in the order of 50,000 rpm +. To lower the time it takes for it to spin up, the whole turbine assembly has to be as balanced and light as possible. A belt drive would ruin this balance, and the additional weight of the alternator's rotor would stop it from working effectively.

On top of this, no alternator will want to spin at 50, 000 rpm. An alternator generates 3 phase AC and rectifies it to DC, but the higher the frequency, the greater the switching losses in the rectifier. The copper windings would rip out at these high speeds.

And making a gear box that attaches to a turbo... good luck.

Reply to
Andrew Tierney

now I come to review these, they must be talking about the heat output when supplied with this current, not the current they supply when supplied with this heat.

Which is a pity.

What sort of output can they manage?

It's all free energy that would otherwise be dissipated, they can sit on the top of a chamber that leads into the top hose of the radiator, air cooled on their other heatsink face. I can give a gradient of coming on for 50 centigrade easily enough. If it's a milliwatt of power, though, there's no point in bothering. :)

Reply to
Sales!

Just had a magnificent brainwave, isn't that enough power to run an electrically powered part time supercharger?

Sounds about right to me.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yawn!!!

150 Mw more like.

Have you lot ever wondered whats inside a gas fuelled power station??? They also got water injection to just like saabs ... although in this case to keep the nox emissions down.

That'd be good under yer bonnet .... gas turbine, heat exhanger, three stage turbines, steam condersor and a team or chemists keeping an eye on the quality of the incoming fluids/gases.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Mainly cause of the cat though isn't it? Push start = injectors injecting, fuel not banging, exiting into cat.

At least, that's what I thought, but as I don't have a car with a moggy up it's arse, I don't really care either :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Probably but I know my car in and out, I was more than happy to take the risk :) I trust my knowledge of my car lol

My manual if I have one would be in Japanese. It was ECCS multipoint injection (turbo and supercharged). Fairly modern ish lol

I took the cat out, I dont have one :) car is 1992 doesnt need it.

QUITE!!!! :) :)

Reply to
Ed

What? Im relating this to a car engine you crazy person.

Umm yes there is one not far from me :)

You may find that the huge gas pipe behind you car and the massive storage tank may be a bit restrictive to movement even excluding the size of it!!!!!

Reply to
Ed

Well yes lol but may as well just use a normal turbo much more efficient and proven hahaha

Reply to
Ed

Partly that, and partly cos the ECU and it's 10,000,000 associated electrics don't have any/enough power whilst the engine is starting.

I'm not sure if you CAN even push-start a wasted-spark ignition car ?

Reply to
Nom

But then you would have a turbo that ran as a turbo and turn the alternator, so that is frictional losses of one belt on the drive train gone, plus if you produce enough juice to genuinley run an electric supercharger as well, then you get the benefits of a superturbo engine, without the belt of the supercharger draining engine horses too.

Sounds like a win/win to me.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo