turboing a ford 2.9 v6

Has anyone done this before? (apart from turbo technics). I`m putting this into a car i`m building from scratch. Does anyone know where to get decombression plates for this engine? I will be putting one or two t3`s, one a cosworth the other a renault 21. Thanks

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

TBH you'd be better off putting a blower on it. No turbo lag.

Reply to
Conor

Did think about it, then decided sequential turbos will have little lag. I`m helping a friend add a turbo to a cvh- easy with a rst manifold, I will need a custom made manifold.

Thanks

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, Conor decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

on a properly converted one there is virtually no turbo lag.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:41659151$0$54813$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, timmmmayyy! decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

You're better off getting a pair of Turbo Technics heads instead of compression plates. They can be found for quite sensible money.

Reply to
Pete M

a few simple tips

invest in proper aftermarket management you need to fuel AND time it for the turbo's getting either wrong will result in a very melted engine, in a rush use T25 turbo's as top's, anything else is just a waste and turbo lag will destroy you the heads and pistons are machined (heads) to decrease compression and swapped (pistons) for better forged ones (but you need money for this) you will also need to look into the cooling side of things, as this set up get VERY VEYR hot indeed the TT kit can be had (in a car and running well) for anything upwards of about £12/1500 so save yourself some moeny

a properly set up TT setup will absolutly anihalate most things on the high street with any sembalence of power, the only thing that passed me and kept in front (from a standing start after i'd snatched second gear) was a big honda 1100 cbr thing, and even then, he backed off @ the 120 mph mark

Reply to
dojj

Yeah i will be asorting out the fueling with an aftermarket system. I plan to have a sequential T3 system that operates the other turbo at 4000 rpm. Do you recon with one t3 thwere will be much lag - i have been told that it is better to uses two t25 than one t3, What do you think?

I take it your car produces 300hp+?

Thanks Timmmmayyy!"

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I can vouch for that seeing a TT estate launching.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

you can't have a smaller and a larger turbo either side you've got to think of it as 2 banks of 3, mixing a little in the intercooler, and then spliting off again to into each seperate bank so what you need to do is to work out the best turbo for the 1.45 L engine you've got on either side of the V one side with a bigger turbo will see more restriction than the other side and therefore it will go bang sooner rather than later you need to have everything balanced going in and out

Reply to
dojj

I will have both banks joining together at the front, connect both turbos with an external wastegate (low pressure side) to control the second turbo.

Thanks

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

In news:4166c1e6$0$54811$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, timmmmayyy! decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Word of advice, listen to the Dojj bloke. He *knows* about turbo 2.9s.

As for my knowledge of a twin turbo 2.9 (I drive one), I'd say ignore any thoughts of T3s. They're too big. They're laggy as f*ck on a 2.0 Cosworth so if you take the advice of Dojj and myself you'll go for a smaller set up.

I used to run a 520+ bhp Sapphire Cosworth and it was an absolute dog to drive compared to the twin turbo 2.9 I drive now. The twin turbo set up on the 2.9 is an absolute pleasure to drive, smooth, responsive and torquey as anything.

Quicker in normal driving conditions than the Cosworth just because you don't have to wait for the turbo to spool up, it's already ready and waiting to go. When you wanted to overtake someone in the Cossie you'd *have* to drop a gear, wind up some revs, then overtake, in the 2.9 you just squirt the throttle and you're past...

I've been caught out a few times. After passing someone I've gone for a non-existant 6th gear. It's that torquey.

IIRC a Turbo Technics 2.9 is quicker from 50-70 in 5th than a 911 Turbo of the same age.

Reply to
Pete M

sheltered

Thanks, i will look for some t25s, i do want driveable torque not bhp.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Saab 9000 T25's seem to be the best all round compromises don't forget you'll need a custom manifold for them but they are easy enough to make from scratch outer pipes come in the centre pipe is straight short flange and they spin up incredibly quickly I used to see peak boost at 1900 rpm, and it was on song at idle, they are THAT good

Reply to
dojj

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Agreed, the Saab 2.o turbos used a trim 40 T3 on earlier models (upto I think 86/87), later ones switched to a slightly smaller one from Mitsubishi TD025 (might be well off the ball here) or something I think. Early Saab 9000's used the T3 trim 60, but again switched to a smaller Mitsu, even the 225BHP Aero used a mitsu, when the Bigger T3 turbo'd Carlssons never topped 205 or 215 in 2.0 and 2.3.

T25 would be a much better turbo. Reckon the OP should look at what gets fitted to modern 1.2-1.8 turbos (petrol and diesel) because each bank is arround the 1.4-1.5 litre size.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@dojj1.fsnet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Don't think it was Garrett T25, I'm sure it was a Mitsu turbo. Earlier ones used trim 60 T3's, later ones used a mitsu.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

mine were T2's don't know what size but they were tiny little things in comparison to a "normal cossie" T3 or the like

Reply to
dojj

Just contact this guy and get a twin turbo technics engine for £400 and be done with it, otherwise you will end up spending alot more on an engine that might not even out perform the technics.

Reply to
REMUS

No lag anyway on a decent setup.

Reply to
Nom

Which is probably because said 911 Turbo is geared to somewhere around

200mph in 5th !
Reply to
Nom

LMAO if you knew whta you where doing in a 911 you'd probably only need 2nd gear.

Reply to
Mason