Two Clutch Master Cylinders

This may seem like a silly question, but is anyone aware of an application the uses two master cylinders on the clutch? More to the point, can you think of a reson why two clutch pedals would not work? Obviously, if both were used at the same time, it could become an issue, but if one or the other were used, would that be an issue? If it could be an issue, I'm going to need a couple of valves to turn each one on when in use.

In case you're wondering why I'm asking...

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Well basically the fluid is going to go to the weakest link, if you have a normal master cylinder with reservoir on top then the fluid is going to go there until its full , then it will probably just overflow.

you could try using a remote reservoir with a one way valve on the feed , this may work.

personally , I'd get a decent automatic till my leg felt better :D

or perhaps a hand operated clutch, you could probably fabricate a lever mechanism attached to the gear selector.

Reply to
Glenn

Suddenly occurred to me after I posted that it'd just flow into the other reservoir. Perhaps another slave would be suitable? If not, then I'll need a valve to shut off each master cylinder or a one-way valve with remote reservoir. I know what you mean about the automatic. I thought the hydraulic clutch on the Fiesta would be light enough, otherwise I'd have got a Mondeo TDCi. Hand clutch is an idea, but I just want to fiddle with electronics to be silly ;-) Cheers, Andy

Reply to
rodneyfunnie

Yes. If you simply linked the hydraulics, then one would just pump fluid into the other's reservoir.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi mate, get an abs valve module of a sierra. When the other master cylinder operates the value is set to block the flow to the main master cylinder. I like the sound of this idea, was thinking about it before, then changed my mind. Getting interested again!

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I've read that page, and I don't understand why you don't get an Automatic ?

As long as there's enough power to drive the Autobox properly, then they're fine !

Reply to
Nom

take a look at driving instructors' cars. they have dual controls.

Reply to
jeremy

mechanical attachment to original pedals, usually just a big metal bar linking passenger and driver side pedals.

Reply to
Glenn

I always presumed that the instructors set of pedals were mechanically linked to the drivers? I seem to remember going for the brake pedal as a learner and it was missing (already being pushed down by my panicking instructor!). I see the He-Man logo on a lot of learner cars around here might be worth tracking down that company?

Keep well,

Reply to
Will Reeve

I don't have an automatic. I have to keep my car for a preset period of time.

True. I'd like to get a BMW 530d, but that will have to wait.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Thinking about it further, I've had another thought. By connecting the second master cylinder in-line, I should be able to use either. To further clarify what I mean, splice the line between the current master cylinder and the slave. Connect the end connected to the original master cylinder to the reservoir connector on the new one. Connect the slave to the slave connector on the new master cylinder. When the electronic clutch is activated, the foot clutch goes solid with fluid lock, but when the electronic clutch is not in use, the foot clutch can be operated as normal. Sounds ideal!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence