Tyres Question

To be fair, they're not exactly the same, WRC systems are designed to let the car slide, as its the quickest way round the stages.

Reply to
DanTXD

No that would be me. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

So your still trying to tell people that £500 for a set of tyres is ok and is safer, when all tyres sold in the UK have to pass strict EU standards.

The car makes alot of difference to tyre choice, and if you buy 300 quid rust buckets 500 quids worth of tyres is not going to make a crap of difference to your braking performance or handling. I know my car will stop quicker on cheap tyres than a crap car on good tyres, I also know it will handle better, and will stop in the wet quicker.

So now tell us why expensive tyres are better?

It's not scrimping it's called common sense, this is something you are lacking.

Reply to
Ronny

I can see it now, carlos saints trying to take a corner but the car slows down and wont let him apply power but he goes nicely round the corner at

7mph.

Dan whats the first thing you do in GT4 when you have a race, turn the TCS etc off or you can't go round corners or accelerate out of them.

Reply to
Ronny

Every episode is torrented on here

hth

Reply to
Ronny

Touché :)

Who said anything about whether I can afford it ?

I *choose* not to, because I see hugely diminishing returns.

It's not scrimping. Budget rubber has kept me on the road for the last ten years - if it ever lets me down, and I'm still alive, then my views may change.

Reply to
Nom

Currently, Z-rated "Hankook Ventus Sport", but I've had Fulda, Falken, Federal etc. etc. in the past. As I said in one of my other posts though, all my tyres are low-profile sports rated (ie, W, Y, Z) jobbies - I have no idea what noname ghetto-spec tyres are like.

But as above, they're gonna be H-rated fat-profile things - they don't have to hold together at 150mph+ :)

Profile and Rating ?

Reply to
Nom

Yes - if the difference was that small, then I may well do the same.

The point is, big tyres for big wheels cost *mega* money. Would you make the same choice, if the upgrade to a big-name tyre was going to cost you £400-500 ?

If you're skidding towards things in the wet, then you're going too fast, and you've accidentaly bought a car without ABS :)

But again, you're using shit-rated high-profile teeny tyres. If you'd stuck a set of 15" rims on your Ka, and put some noname 195/45/15 W/Y/Z-rated rubber on, then I bet you'd find them just fine :)

Reply to
Nom

Aw shit. Coming from you, that's *really* something.

I shall change my ways forthwith...

Reply to
Nom

Tyres with more grip *aren't* safer.

Any tyre / car combination will have a point where the car will overcome the grip of the tyres in a variety of different situations. The higher the speed at which this happens, the bigger mess you make of the police car's rear wing.

Course, if you drive about like a nun you might well never find the limits on modern tyres, of course. The "I never skid" driver who will have little or no idea what to do when they get into one. (IPOF this is the sort of driver who imagines that the speed limit is remotely close to the sort of speeds you can safely corner at in the dry, e.g. like has been suggested in this thread.)

Reply to
Questions

in news:1gve6z6.1nm4i1c54xd1N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) slurred :

Hmmm. The P6000s on my dad's rover 45 were utter s**te - I initially put the lack of grip down to it being a rover, but swapping front to back for Fulda crappos increased the grip significantly. After eventually putting some goodyear on, it grips really quite well.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

But they are not Wanki, infact they are one of the best tyres I have owned. I also like a good looking tyre, I suppose its a bit like buying a pair of trainers, I hate looking at a nice car with shit looking tyres.

Reply to
Ronny

Now that really IS mental :)

You nutter :)

Reply to
Nom

THe fact they pass EU standards doesn't mean much. Its certainly not a guide for quality. It just means it met a basic set of tests, mainly to ensure it doesn't fall to bits at 80MPH.

Actually decent tyres do. Guess you've never bought any.

I'll put money on it that it doesn't.

You've been told.

No, when you say you can't afford an extra £50 as the poster did, its called scrimping.

Reply to
Conor

If you drive like a nun then they're OK for you.

Reply to
Conor

Wrong. THere's a roundabout near me where with cheap tyres on a RWD car, I've ended up with the back end breaking away in the wet, even pulling away from normal speeds.

Reply to
Conor

In that case, maybe in the states, they are like NanKang. Not great, but not actually that bad for the money.

I prefer to stick with brands that are known good. Even brands like Kumho and Falken don't always do it for me, even though they are often used for road based motorsport and even sponsor.

Different cars work better with different tyres.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Thing is, there's the POV that says that there are minimum standards set by the powers that be (BS somethingorother) as far as quality of tyres goes, which I'm guessing relates to the amount of water they displace, grip levels etc. Surely if a tyre is *that* terrible, then its suitability for sale to the public should be questioned in the first place???

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Know what he means though - something like a Michelin Energy tyre has a good functional tread pattern, that lasts for ages, and still provides fairly decent grip, but other tyres have a more fancy looking grip pattern (that often grips better but doesn't last for nearly as long). At the end of the day it all depends on how close you drive a car to the limits. If you're aware of the capabilities of your tyres, and drive accordingly (much as you wouldn't take a corner in a Mk3 Escort as fast as you would the same corner in a Lotus Elise), then all should be fine.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Conor are you and Steve related?

After a quick search on Google for conor + prick why am I not surprised at the amount of results?

Reply to
Ronny