V12 Power

Had a go in the 750i tonight - he got it home today.

It's been a while since I drove a decently large engine and I had forgotten what it feels like. Not that I've ever driven anything larger than a 3.5 before. I've driven underpowered petrol engines for a couple of years now and do occasionally hanker after the lazy grunt of a turbo diseasal.

TD engines maybe do feel grunty after a normally aspirated petrol engine, but this thing kicks them all into touch. Forget waiting on the turbo waking up, this thing has grunt available from tickover.

Another thing, racing cars aside, why do we bother with manual transmissions ? Who cares what gear you're in just nail it and go :-)

Few pics here.

The interior is actually nicer than the pics would suggest.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That was how I felt with the Celsior. And when kicked down it would hold a gear until 6k, or you bottled it and backed off.

But nothing like a 5.0 V12 feels like I bet.

Reply to
Elder

nice legroom! i really like that, could do with some nicer wheels mind.

Reply to
Vamp

That's actually pretty cool :-D The interior looks nice to me - especially for the age and whatever the mileage is, presumably quite high as it's a G plate, the leather looks to be in good nick isn't it? Although one question - what profile are those tyres? They're well thick, almost like off roaders! Are they the dreaded metric? What size are the wheels?

Reply to
DanB

The wheels are 15" I believe with 60 profile tyres. Or not. I'm not really sure, but they're definitely not TRX, which are actually great tyres, just horrifically expensive. I had them on my E28 - 390mm ones, but the tyres were shocking.

The leather and the seats in general are in very good condition. Feels very firm in an unabused way. The driver's seat leather is the most used (obviously), but even that's very good.

The window tint is a bit gangsta, which I'm not that keen on, but other than that it seems ok.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I don't actually know yet. Not all of the available beans anyway. The roads were damp, it was dark and it has correct wheel drive, 300bhp and I'm a big girl's blouse.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Cos most mainstream automatics have weedy NA petrol engines. I thought the one in my 12v Vauxhall was nice, but nowadays it'd have to be pretty entertaining to tempt me into an auto with less than about 200bhp I reckon.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You're right there of course. Small autos are pretty cack.

How was Knockhill, couldn't make it along

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

the 7 series is a bit gangsta dude!

Reply to
Vamp

Knockhill was cool, I'm getting braver/stupider. I am starting to like the idea of semi-dedicated track car more and more. However, this requires money.

Note to self: get a job.

I got a couple of laps as a passenger in the blue Maserati. I was grinning so much I'm surprised I got my head out of my Helmet. I could still speak however, so it clearly wasn't as scary as the barefooted man in the LHD eRise. Still awesome fun however.

There were 3 Ferraris, the ubiquitous Team-Cooper Porsche, several 7 replica type things, couple of Scoobys and Evos, a Renault Gordini and a few Morgans among other things. However, as long as someone keeps bringing an MGB along to these events, I won't be the slowest thing on the track.

On a slightly different note, the JT7 made it there and ran a few laps of the Paddock which was a real milestone which led to more grins. We should be back there not this weekend but the one after for a bit of running in and testing on the track proper. Hurrah!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Big V engines and autos. I seem to remember that I have been saying this for years on here. But you need to experience smooth stress free real power from zero revs to get it. Till you do then you get all exited about gearchanging...

Reply to
Burgerman

Wash on hot? That'l shrink it for sure.

Seriously, how do you think a 300+ bhp bike with about a quarter of the weight feels?

How do you ride one? Easy. VERY tight underpants...

Reply to
Burgerman

Semi-auto, YKIMS.

Until it explodes, of course.

Reply to
SteveH

Looks pretty good.

Shame someone fitted tyres from a beach buggy to wheels from a 3-series to it ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Thought 7 series had 245/50 18 runflats?

Reply to
Burgerman

Indeed, the only way to properly motivate a mans car is with at least 8 cylinders in a V formation, and autos must be attached to something with genuine petrol powered grunt to be truly brilliant.

I'm still finding bits and bobs ready to drop a V8 into the E30, and that's staying auto until the box explodes.. then I'll be on the look out for a nice MG ZT-T 260 to take to Czech.

Reply to
Pete M

Now that's properly good news. If you're there next Thursday night, I'd like to come along and lend a hand.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Got it yet?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Tomorrow morning.

Reply to
SteveH

Runflats? Aren't they a modern phenomenon? His 7's an E32, I think.

Reply to
AstraVanMann