Vectra C pipe mod on Astra G!

I noticed this before -

The required pipe and adapter are available for around £15 from the Vauxhall Main Dealer. That pipe is from the 2.0 / 2.2 & 3.2 Vectra C diesel models. It does fit the Astra but you need to saw the mounting brackets off the top and use two self tapping screws instead. It's a slightly different shape.

If you want to do the modification order the parts and have a go -

Air intake pipe part number - 9177099 Intake pipe to airbox adapter part number - 9177104

Any Vauxhall dealership will get them for you within a few days.

You should also fit a panel filter and take the original air filter housing apart to remove the two internal pipes that restrict the air flow on the top and bottom. It beats the hell out of an induction kit which reduces performance by sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Reply to
pete

Yup. Did this last week on a 52 plate Astra SRi Turbo, and another on an 53 plate Astra GSi Turbo. Piece of piss. It's not a 100% perfect fit, but with a lot of wiggling it's close enough. Actually makes a difference as well, you can hear the extra induction roar (it's not loud, just noticeable) and if you listen real careful you can hear the standard recirc valve working after you've done this. First one took about an hour, 2nd took about 5 mins heh.

Reply to
DanTXD

As a side note, we also fitted a dump valve and a boost guage today :-) Not bad for me - my skills are improving hehe. Now, how much of a bad idea is cranking in the nut on the actuator then....?

Reply to
DanTXD

If the vehicle has a recirc type waste gate, for what reason did you fit a dump valve?

Kenny

Because a waste gate and a dump valve are unrelated. Waste gates release exhaust gas pressure, and a dump valve releases inlet boost pressure.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

That hasnt answered my question................in regard to what I would imagine is a std road car with recirc waste gate, what possible benefits would come from fitting a dump valve?

Seems to me this type of mod is just as pointless as LED washer jets, and big bore exhaust back box!

Kenny

Do you ever answer questions put to you?

No. So why should people answer your questions?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Elephant

Reply to
Elder

I still maintain it's monkey.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Nah, elephant makes as much sense as his question. Monkey is just stupid. Whoever told you that is just taking the piss. How much did that advice cost you?

Reply to
Elder

My mate's dad knows some chap who's related to a bus driver who sleeps with his dog groomer's wife every so often. I think it was Ken.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Strange that you cant denote any useful purpose for fitting a dump valve (other than relieving an idiot of some cash!)......................are you a bit dim perhaps?

Ken

Well, ken, if you fit a dump valve to a recirc wastegate, you apparently get either an Elephant or Monkey. Can't confirm either as I've only ever seen tuning mods looking like either huge amounts of Big horses or a load of old Pony.

Perhaps you can find me a diagram of a recirc wastegate? All knowledge is a good thing. Or do you prefer a screamer?

Reply to
Elder

Actually the dump valve was last week, my bad in the wording :-) The boost guage/stereo were yesterday (although we're finishing it off today because it was cinema time), the stereo was a right PITA as well, would NOT budge (we had the correct keys as well!). Got it out eventually with the judicous use of a bread knife heh.

Unfortunately on a GSi, the blank gromit which the SRi's and early Coupe Turbos have (there is a Coupe Turbo in the stable too heheh) is it use for the bonnet alarm sensor, so we had to do some very careful hole making in said gromit to lead all our various cables and pipes though.

The SRi Turbo already came with an atmo dump valve fitted as well, but it was fitted to an odd place (fuel pressure hose/sensor hose/not sure) so we put that back together, and fitted it where it should be. But really, in the last couple of weekends, 1 1/2 dump valves, 1 boost guage, 1 stereo (inc cheeky sub in the boot) and a 2 induction setups. Proud :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

I didn't see his question :-)

And rightly so, I wouldn't have answered anyway heh.

Reply to
DanTXD

You get a pathetic "hiss" sound when you change gear which the driver=20 thinks makes the little teenie girls wet their panties.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Fuck sake Dan, you're turning into a Chav Halfords Bolt on Boy.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Hehe they're not my cars :-) Although, I can definately see the point of the stereo, the standard VX unit is just arse. And the induction mod, well, why not eh, it was only £13 and you could see and hear it was flowing air better. The guage, well you can justify them on a turbo IMHO to make sure it's running right. I can't defend the dump valve - I'm pretty sure it must be confusing the Ecu, which expects the recirc to be doing stuff...

It gets better though, in about a month, it's a new downpipe, removing small cat for replacement pipe, and fitting a sports cat to replace the big one :-D Come on...

Reply to
DanTXD

It seems strange that the vast majority of people wanting to "tune" a car or motorcycle, dont really have a clue as to what they are doing (other than signing large cheques), and 9 times out of ten buy poor quality products, that either dont work at all (dump valves, ecotec, etc etc), or make the car or bike very unpleasant to use anywhere other than a race track (lowered suspension, harder springs, wagon wheel alloys, etc etc).

Ken

You get a pathetic "hiss" sound when you change gear which the driver thinks makes the little teenie girls wet their panties.

Reply to
Ken