Views on Mk4 Supra Twin Turbo?

Thinking about getting one of these, what's everyone's opinion of them?

For: Performance Reliability Depreciation's not too bad Fairly practical, 4 seats and a decent boot Reasonable insurance One of the most tuneable engines in the world.

Against: Does it still have a medallion man image? anything else?

Reply to
John

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fuel consumption ?

;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

performance, could be faster i feel but with some mods it's possible, UK spec ones are better than jap models i'm told. my mate had a full veilside kitted MK4 twin turbo running about 500bhp, damn fine motor reliablity, toyota :) doesn't lose much cash at all, they all seem to sell for 9-10k regardless of milage boot is big but not that deep, makes a nice ICE install if used from what i've seen :)

i think they rule, look cool too, would love one but they'd get me into more trouble than my MR2 turbo!

Reply to
Vamp

Awesome performance

Awesome reliability (so i hear)

Its not

Aye

Erm..... is it?

It is.

Who cares?

I can't think of any points against them, except they're getting on a bit now, and a lot of them have lots of mileage.

Reply to
DanTXD

Awesome? Supercar awesome, but would the M5 show a standard one a clean pair of heels?

:)

The image may be a negative point, but it wouldn't bother me either.

If you live on a street with lots of speed humps for goodness sake test it on that road _before_ buying it!

Reply to
DervMan

My views on it? Usually in the rear view mirror, a brief flash of the side, then lots of the back... :)

Reply to
DervMan

I'm not saying an M5 doesn't have awesome performance.

Reply to
DanTXD

Ya I know, but thinking of the M5 has reminded me of the fun he had on the Malton bypass.

"Did you know that if you keep it in fifth you don't get the limiter" he casually said as the speedo needle swept past 130, 140, 150. "Err, yes actually, select zone five until one sixty or so?" "Where'd that Supra go anyway?" :)

Reply to
DervMan

Bit chavvy, I prefer Mk IIIs personally. That's about it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

a supra is hardly chavvy, how the f*ck can a chav afford a mk4 supra? some damn rich chav's in you're area huh :)

Reply to
Vamp

You're kidding, right?

Mk IVs are down to £3,500 at the ragged end of the import market, and they end up with £10,000 credit-card and store-card worth of tat and veilside rip off stuck on 'em regularly.

I was having doubts, then I saw a middle aged bloke (clearly some sort of sexual predator) with a white one, T50 PRA or something (so clearly a late, and therefore actually expensive, one) with some god-awful teatray on the back, and the blokes that went to chat to him? 19 yo spotty yoofs in burberry caps. Seriously.

I mean, I was already pissing myself laughing at the plate, but when I saw them being impressed by the car, I doubled over. I mean, who the hell wants that attention. I'd pay £15K NOT to have chavs trying to talk to me about my minted motah.

Nah. Mk IVs are pretty chavvy. Remember that chav is part aspiration - if a chav wants one, you can be sure I don't. It's like the 70s "working class hero" and the obligatory "Roller" or "Jag". Yeauch. That era killed any appeal Rolls Royce might have had to me.

I mean, nouveau riche is so bottom-rung. And chavs actually aspire to seem to be the crassest of the nouveau riche.

Shame, as the Mk IV is a pretty good car otherwise. Reliable, nice to drive, competent and inexpensive to maintain for the performance.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

What you want is an old 911. I wandered up to the old Wigan cruise tonight. I used to be a regular there when I had the Cosworth. Loads of the same old faces - now looking a fair bit older, loads of really nice Cosworths and the like, usual tool in a GTS Skyline with a flamer kit.

The 911 didn't get *any* interest at all, which was nice.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh, the Mk III Supra is good enough for that. Actually, the Sera gets way, way too many chavs looking at it. "Did you make the doors yersel?" "Izzit a Deloren?" "What kind of car is it?" "My mate put doors like that on his Nova".

(All true: Answers - "Yes. And for my next trick, I'm fitting a jet engine from Concorde" "Yes, it's a rare, prototype DeLorean. The Toyota badge is just to distract you" "It's a Sera. No. I didn't say Sierra. It's like a Toyota Corolla, but less interesting" "Of course he did.")

The Scorpio is good for getting no attention whatsoever, too.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I've just decided that my GTM will now be my only car. Is this a bad decision ? One little lad asked week - "is that a porshhhhhhh".

Oh dear......

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Nah. Lovely little cars, and probably better than an MGTF.

You should've grabbed his white stick and beaten some sense into him.

I think little lads are bloody stupid these days. I've had one ask if the Supra was a Ferrari.

"Yes. That's why it says TOYOTA on the front".

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

They're CRAZILY overpriced. You're looking at around ten grand, for a good ten-year-old (!) one - their values are artificially high, and there will come a point when they drop off VERY steeply (how many folks do you think will pay £10k for an old Supra, when they can get a 350Z for the same money ?).

Expensive to insure (get some quotes), expensive to fix.

If the money's not an issue, you're happy to tootle around in an old car, and you sell it on before the big depreciation drop, then they're a great buy.

Reply to
Nom

In article , snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.Somewhere says... snip

No, that's what the market wants to give.

Tell me: how do those values stay artificially high? Somebody in your neighbourhood is buying every Supra available?

Those who want 500 HP out of their 350Z...

But they don't break...

Is 500.000 km on the same engine and gearbox for a slightly tuned one (± 400 HP at the wheels and daily driver) good enough?

Rather expensif on tires, that is correct... 500 HP Porsche's aren't soft on the black stuff either.

Give me any "old car" to toodle around when it has 500 HP under the bonnet.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

one of the guys in the vauxhall garage where i work drives the cleanest RS sierra i've seen, running some nice power by the sounds of the turbo chatter it makes. the guy that owns it isn't a chav either (unusal as i work in basildon essex) proper quiet bloke and totally honest about the motor when i asked him briefly after lunch today. just said he done the mods himself, new turbo's and other little bits, got a respray done by a friend in the original silver, kept the original wheels too so it looks stock. asked him what kinda power it's running and he just said 'i dunno to be honest, boost has been upped and it's just started to get the new ECU mapped but needs another session as it seems to have a flat spot, don't wanna make up any power figures as i'm just happy if it feels quick enough and drives smooth'

top bloke :)

although some of the guys in the valet bit have some real dodgy motors that i will have to try and get pictures of, a well dodgy 'modified' 106 which makes more noise than low flying jet aircrafts raises a smile on my face when i see it.

Reply to
Vamp

Um, I'm not disputing that the price is set by the market !

The point is, it's artificially high - simply because the Supra doesn't have any *real* competition. As soon as that changes (ie, some more modern sensible-power coupes begin to enter it's price range) then you can expect the values to drop substantially.

I didn't say they did !

Give one to me too ! There aren't very many none "old cars" that I'd take in preference to a 500bhp Supra.

Reply to
Nom

I'd always prefer a 500hp RX7, to me a much better car than a supra, I know most people are put off by the rotary engine, but spares and repairs are not as expensive as you might think, no more expensive than running a 5 cylinder turbo fiat coupe

Reply to
Theo