Warping discs

When I had my Rover 620SLi, I warped the standard front discs within a matter of months, which caused lots of juddering when braking. Within 6 months of getting the Ti and some shiny Tar-Ox discs, I had warped those too. At the moment I'm back on the original Rover discs, but I'm getting concerned about warping these too cos I'm not sure what it is I'm doing that's causing them to warp or whether it's just shitty discs.

IIRC, I saw a discussion about this topic on another NG and that it was braking from high speed that can cause warping.. although some thought keeping the brake depressed while stationery at traffic lights could warp the disc on account of having the calipers clamped onto hot & thus softer discs. Well, I may break a little heavily sometimes, but not emergency-stop treatment! And I rarely keep the foot brakes on at lights.

So, is it just me doing something dumb or does this happen to you guys and how long have your discs lasted?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Yup. Also. When fitting new discs it's recommended to mark a hole and stud. Fit the disc and if loose use 2/3 nuts to retain. Then use a dial gauge to measure runout. Remove disc and move round by one hole, check runout. Repeat for all possible positions. Fit so that runout is least and recheck. If it's not what it was the first time there was still muck on the hub face and some may have been transferred to the disc, clean both and start again.

Peter Hill

I'll check that out.

Presumably checking for more wear on one side?

That sounds a bit heavy going for me ;) If I get through this set of disks as quickly as the last 2 lots then I'll get the local mechanic to check that out for me.

Thanks for all the advice. Can heavy braking and footbrake while stationery cause warping?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

It's the Rover 600/Honda Accord brake system - it's SHITE :) Because the discs are mounted behind the hubs, there is no "central mass" to absorb the heat - so they warp very easily.

Both can cause warped discs.

My stock discs were warped when I bought the car. I've replaced em with Black Diamond Drilled & Grooved, and EBC Redstuff pads, and they've been fine for the past 8 months :)

Reply to
Nom

NEVER use "footbrake while stationery" - that's why you have a handbrake !

Reply to
Nom

Don't use either if you've just come off a track, can't the handbrake seize on?

Reply to
Doki

This is what I was wondering :)

This is also what I was wondering - ie: if there were some particularly tough discs that were better at resisting warp.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Unlikely - you'd need a SERIOUS car in order to get the rear brakes hot enough for that to happen.

Anyhow, if you've just come off a track, you've just done a couple of cooling-off laps. Hot-lap, straight off and stop, is a recipie for disaster, not just for your brakes :)

Reply to
Nom

Had my rears spitting and pinging at me today.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I get that sometimes - I find it's the curry that does it ;-)

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

They're reasonable money - give em a go. IIRC, the discs and pads cost me about £200 from

an hour for a competent garage to fit em (it's a bitch of a job on the600) so add on £50 fitting charge.

Reply to
Nom