Well, change arround time.

No expensive turbos to go wrong, will be a little dull and soggy after the Celica, must be careful overtaking for the first couple of weeks. No to rip with cat claws.

Timing is by rubber band, but that has been changed recently. Should do for the commute. Not to pricey, but leggy but nothing over the top. Lowest mileage car I've owned in a few years, and I have a mate who works on the parts desk in a local dealers.

And it cost less than I got for the Saab.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Good call - honest.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Well, it was the missus really. You aren't buying off ebay again. I said no. That's a good price. Nobody is bidding. Bid now, I don't care how much, bid now. You need to get it.

Women hey.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Let's hope the deal on the SAAB completes 100% :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Well, he has paid 50% upfront, and I'm picking him up from liverpool airport tomorrow night.

We have sorted him out with a guest house for an overnight stay and are providing him with a meal because where the hell is he going to find somewhere to eat on Easter sunday after 6pm.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Erm, Rob.... you do realise that lump is the one that's fitted to the laughably badged MkIV Golf 'GTI', don't you? (ie. the 2lt non-turbo).

Which means it has a whole 115bhp. Hence it's slower than a very slow thing.

Reply to
SteveH

nice to see you've seen the light and bought V AG. nice engines although i do prefer the derv lumps, quick enough and should provide plenty of trouble free motoring,

all you need now is a 60mm drop and some 18" RS4 rep rims :)

Reply to
Rob

Yeah, I know. Slow, but it will plod. Just have to be prepared for coil pack failure.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That should have been solved by now. There was a dodgy batch, almost all of which will, by now, have been replaced. I certainly didn't experience it on the Passat.

(I've just done an Autotrader search on Passat 1.8T SEs..... there's a lovely dark metallic blue one at a dealer in Bristol for £1595. To say I'm tempted would be an understatement)

Reply to
SteveH

Frikkin' 'eck mate, make up your mind!!

Also, am I right in thinking that the 2 litre engines as fitted to non-turbo Golf GTIs were 8-valve units? Did they do any Mk4 GTis with the 2 litre

16v, or did they knock that on the head in favour of the 1.8T engines?
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heh. Well, I'm commuting a bit further than I expected when I bought the Marea. Plus there were other reasons for selling my Passat - the knackered comfort control module being one, the other being that I didn't know where my next pay cheque was coming from.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Reply to
SteveH

So is it an 8v or 16 lump in the Octi then?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

8v.
Reply to
SteveH

Not too bad then. two 8v Skodas in the family. Just how it is supposed to be. As one one of the Favorit/Felicia rally boys has on the back of stage car, "1 cam, 8 valves, so what, infront of you".

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

at the end of the day it may only have 115 horses but it does what it says on the tin and will do for a long time to come, and reliably too :)

still should have bought a 130 TDI :) :) :)

Reply to
Rob

Yup. I looked at TDis but non had come down enough round my way yet. I've still saved arround =A3500-=A31k over what a used car dealer would=20 charge. A "Skoda approved" one is listed on the used car search on the Skoda=20 home page at one of their dealers. It has done 1/3rd the mileage, but it is =A35k bar the pennies. Same year, same spec, same colour.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

It's an 8v unit. Nice and torquey but not a rev monster, one of the better VAG petrol engines (providing it doesn't have their appalling electronic drive-by-wire set up). I can confirm it works well in the Fabia. Consumption isn't too bad but it's no economy champion. The car has a (revised from the version on my website) Performance Score of 18.2. :-)

Reply to
DervMan

It'll do. Maybe it is time I stop letting Porsches chase me, and let them pass sometime.

I'll be back later with either some thing vRS or something Aero.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

What's my cars performance score? Just as a matter of interest like :)

Reply to
DanTXD

With Peugeot quoted figures, depending on the age it's between 18.0 and

19.6. The Accord manages 18.7. The data is only designed to give an indication, so in a straight line there won't be much between the 2.0 Octavia, the 1.8 Accord and the 1.6 206.
Reply to
DervMan