What are Volvo 850 Diesels like?

Got my half sensible head on today after doing some overtime and then=20 filling up the tank.

Can they be played with as much as the T5 petrols?

=A363 for 440kms mixed use including two 5mph crawls (40minutes one day=20 just to drive 50metres and turn right at a set of lights). Not bad but I=20 could do with the reduction.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Or maybe this.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Can they be played with as much as the T5 petrols?

£63 for 440kms mixed use including two 5mph crawls (40minutes one day just to drive 50metres and turn right at a set of lights). Not bad but I could do with the reduction.

The 850 is the VAG 2.5 five cylinder TDI donk, fettled for Volvo use.

Reply to
DervMan

Can they be played with as much as the T5 petrols?

£63 for 440kms mixed use including two 5mph crawls (40minutes one day just to drive 50metres and turn right at a set of lights). Not bad but I could do with the reduction.
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That's about 19.5 mpg, which isn't actually too bad for that old tub :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Me! I'm usually up for buying something that sense tells me I shouldn't ..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

The same one used in the slightly bonkers 174bhp 115+mph T5 Sportline van?

Reply to
Depresion

It has come down a bit since winter came in because most people stopped standing on stations and got back in there cars.

I was hauling half of the office arround this week, moving PCs, servers and phones to the new place.

So that brought it down a bit. Normally usually 23mpg dead on no matter how I drive it.

Reply to
Elder

How much petrol do you reckon a 4.0 V8 uses sat idling for 40minutes while the lights change because people can't be bothered to get through the lights.

Reply to
Elder

Is the starter motor buggered or something?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Perhaps not - the later 2.5 TDIs from the VAG stable are V6 donks.

But I don't know...

Reply to
DervMan

Nothing. Switch it off.

Reply to
DervMan

That would cause horns and headlights for a mile behind to spontaneously go off within a nanosecond because I wasn't able creep forward 1foot at the appropriate time.

Reply to
Elder

No, but using it every 2 minutes for 40 minutes might bugger it. And see my reply to Dervy.

Reply to
Elder

It doesn't in Leeds, York or any of the traffic infested cities I have the pleasure of attending.

If your donk spends a long time idling, make sure it's a smoothie. That rules out a good chunk of four cylinder diesels.

Reply to
DervMan

Have you seen the LPG converted Prius that's on ebay just now ? The have described it as a Tribrid, which I quite like.

Anyway, if the traffic really is that bad, then a Prius is absolutely in its element as it would be running entirely in leccy in traffic. That has to help the old blood pressure as you trickle along in silence. Not that your Celsior won't be a biy hushed anyway.

And you get to fill up at the cheap pump.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Is it just me, or are LPG pumps much slower to fill from than regular petrol or derv ones? Don't suppose you've ever bothered to time it to see how much longer it takes, per litre or something?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The money bit certainly goes up slower :-)

Yes, it is slower - on mine anyway. There are now what they call four hole tanks, and these are quicker filling I am told.

Mine takes maybe 90-120 seconds to put in 32 litres. That's empty to full. Still under 15 quid at the Morissons I use.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'll have to time it - mine takes about 70 litres (Sprinter) - feels longer than filling a diesel though, plus 70 litres doesn't last for as many miles, meaning more fuel stops - and it's the stopping/queuing to pay/getting a snack etc etc that takes time in addition to just the filling up bit. But it is cheaper.

And also, since fuel prices shot up in recent months - LPG's definitely gone up by a lot less than petrol/diesel, even in percentage terms (this is a rough guess as I haven't done any real like for like comparisons with any specific petrol stations). So it's still looking good (I hope).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Twice nothing: say 1 litre.

Yeah and you will save the planet as it emits only 92 gr CO2 per km.

But then, we Belgians saw those green worldsavers coming: a new coal-fed power plant is projected to be buid in Antwerp Harbor. If will bring some 916.000 Ton CO2 per month in the atmosfere. (11.000.000 Ton per year)

To bring in perspectif: if an Prius drives 20000 km per year, it emits

1,84 Ton of CO2. So 1 electral plant stuffs the output of 5,978 million Priusses a year :-))) Critics even say the "polution" is local as the plant doesn't move (luckily the wind does).

One could say if you took a Toyota Landcruiser at 350 gr CO2 you are a environnemental terrorrist, but you'd be not: 1.57 millions landcruisers just get up to 1 electrical plant.

Me thinks the CO2-end of the world-scheme is fraud.

PS I couldn't bother to convert to imperal units :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor