What car have you had the best sleep in?

As per the subject what car have you had the best sleep in? That's if you have ever slept in a car? :)

For me it would have to be one of the old Vauxhall Cavalier Hatchbacks. My parents used to drive us up to the Lake District for holidays when we were little (about 20 years ago) and they just used to pop back the seats and we slept in the back.

The cars I have had the worst sleep in, include a (1996-) Mitsubishi Colt when I was in North Sydney on holiday and couldn't find any accommodation.

Also, in a Suzuki Ignis, when I was on holiday in Melbourne. Didn't book any accommodation ahead of the 02 Grand Prix so had to sleep in the back. Was a bit awkward and I had to sleep diagonally.

I hear that Saabs have the best seats and are some of the most comfy cars around?

I try not to make a habit of sleeping in cars. It's only advisable when you're young. Or unless you have a big estate.

John

Reply to
John

2000 Vectra SRi saloon. Back seats forward, kipped with my legs in the boot and my body on the back seat backs, but in a sleeping bag. I was at the V festival, and couldn't sleep in the tent, so went back to my car! Going again on Friday, oh joy.
Reply to
spam

Fiat Cinq. Sporting. Not a huge amount of legroom, but the back seat folds completely flat.

(wasn't so good until I had an MDF board cut for under the boot carpet, though)

Reply to
SteveH

Marina van 1977 ...

Reply to
Burgerman

With fur...

Reply to
Burgerman
1978 Chev Impala station wagon. Massive.
Reply to
conkersack

Old Saab 900 Turbo 16v 3 door hatch. If you fold the rear seats forward you can actually get a real matress in the there. Definately the best to sleep in.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You were shaggin a cat?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well once, funnily enough on a trip to a similar area of the country, me and a couple of mates went up to the snooker in Preston in his Metro GTi, taking turns in driving on the way back. That was *very* comfortable to sleep in the back of for me - a perfect amount of space for my miniscule figure to lie on its back, knees upright, fitted in like a glove. On a similar trip, in the back of my Carlton Estate, I couldn't get comfortable, as I wasn't a snug fit inside the car like in the Metro, and there was literally too much room!

I once went to a party with lots more people invited than there was space to kip, but the girl organising it had got permission for people to camp in a nearby field. I couldn't be arsed with that, so me and my mates kipped in the Astra Van (2 in the back, 1 in each front seat). Plenty of room - steering wheel got in my way a little, and there was the amusing condensation dripping onto the people in the back in the morning!!

And then there was the time when the aux drivebelt shredded in the Mk5 Fiesta TDI, which also drives the water pump. Joined the RAC on the spot on the premise that it was highly likely that their patrol would have a spare belt, and he didn't. But not only that, he said that they wouldn't carry those belts as they're not very common. I got a refund equivalent to the extra I paid the RAC for joining on the spot with an instant callout, and got towed to a garage. RAC guy found a couple of B+Bs with rooms available but they were around £65 - f*ck that, so I slept in the back of the van. Yes, a Fiesta van. It was vaguely comfortable, somehow. Couldn't sleep past about 6am though, went for a random walk around Maidstone, got a paper and McD's breakfast, waited for the garage to open, got it fixed, got out of there. That was the start of the problems with that van, as I made sure they topped up the coolant, and made a point of them topping it up with a proper antifreeze mixture and not just water. They grabbed a nearby watering can type device with a blue liquid in, and chucked it in. From then on it was constantly using coolant, which was getting more and more brown in colour as time went on. I kept on telling myself I'd change it, and eventually got around to it, putting the right quantity of the proper Ford glow-in-the-dark pink stuff in there. Then, not more than a month or two after that, the oil cooler developed a crack across the ports which, to cut a long story short, ended up in me selling the van. Don't know if the oil cooler problem was related to mixing different types of coolant - possibly not - can't see how myself, unless they'd massively reduce the efficiency of the system, causing things to overheat and crack, who knows. But I know I'd have been better off just getting it topped up with water, and coping with a slightly weaker antifreeze mixture, than going through all that palava.

The back of a Metro GTi was more comfortable for me than the back of my Carlton Estate! (Not with the seats down in either, as there was something in the back of the Carlton.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I never understood why some cars didn't come with a board like that to make the boot carpet perfectly flat, rather than just being draped over the spare wheel in the well. My first car was a Mk3 Escort Estate (heritage, I know), and the next few were Mk3 Escort Hatchbacks. The Estate had a proper boot floor with a big metal cover over the spare wheel well, and the others had nothing. It was crap.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Did you ever find out what it was? Or was it just the stories you had heard, and cryptic hints given by the last owner about not going in there was a leg of lamb tied round your neck after dark?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Rover SD1. Absolutely massive seats.

Reply to
Conor

It says shagging, not yiffing.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

no, the van was covered inside with the stuff! Very retro...

Reply to
Burgerman

Had quite a good hour's sleep in the back of the Ti when I stopped off at Wurzburg services on the way back from Budapest. When I woke up I was roasting though as it was mid day and very sunny.

Reply to
fishman

Best car was my old mans Chev Custom Deluxe. Kinda like an F100. It had a bench seat you could lie across and not touch either door. Really comfy.

Worst was my Daihatsu Rocky 4 x 4. I was going camping and it was pissing rain so I took out the front seat before I left so I could stretch out. Front floor however was 6 inches below the rear floor. And the seat mounting points dug into my kidneys all night. Lucky I was pissed at the time.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Worse,

Hillman Imp, circa 1973.

DC

Reply to
David C

My mum had one of them that year, i was 13...

Reply to
Burgerman

Shag eh? Mk2 Escort...

Reply to

Reminds me of a Super CC cartoon where he identifies a car as a Jensen Contraceptor. When corrected he retorts "well, YOU try having sex in it".

Reply to
Halmyre