What cars had popup headlight washers?

I know Saab and Volvo fitted wiper based washers. But if the Saab goes, I fancy having a go at retro fitting some more "Flush mounted" ones to what ever I get next.

Chances are, it will be a small car, and gadgets like that tend to be limited to larger cars. I like the look of the Audi and Ford Scorpio ones and I take it the Scorpio ones are going to be be easier to find in a scrappy than audi ones.

I'm looking for something water pressure rather than electrical, with it's own pump (like a WI or truck washer pump) relayed off the main screen wash pump.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

The audi A2 and TT are small and have them IIRC.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Is the Saab for the chop then ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Thinking of moving it on yep. Great drive, but I hoped the roof might last the winter with a few=20 functional patches were it was most worn.

Instead it has ripped where it is out of sight, and lets in water.=20 Instead of running to where there is a drain, it sits in the vinyl=20 trough where the roof folds into, and sloshes arround going round=20 corners. I end up sponging out about 1 pint a week, not a lot, but enough to be=20 annoying. Also, there is some rust in the windscreen pillar, it needs sorting, but=20 I don't have the time or motivation to take it off the road, never mind=20 the money. A decent roof, including fitting plus the repair work would=20 come to about =A31000, or about =A34k if I went to a Saab dealer (roof alon= e=20 is =A33500 fitted at Saab). I bought a slightly shabby but mechanically =20 great C900 convertable, I didn't want to go spending money on making it=20 trailor queen show car. If I do the roof etc I'm half way to doing that=20 and with the mileage (rebuild engine etc don't count) it will never be=20 worth more than about =A34k. It's nice car. It's solid, drives great and=20 like my last 900, with a bit of time would be fantastic.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Hate to say it, but I wasn't the only one who warned you about this....

Reply to
SteveH

I know they're not pop up ones, but I fitted HL wash to my Rover Mk2 214 Enduro rally car. I used the jets from a transit van for the HLs and ones from a Mitsi Shogun for the auxiliary/spot lights. I had to cut down the base of the Ford jets, but apart from being black on a grey bumper, they look pretty reasonable.

The Rover comes with two versions of the normal screen wash system depending whether it is a diesel or not - most have the tank and pumps mounted up on the engine compartment bulkhead on the passenger side. The Ds have it mounted in the wing void in front of the driver's side front wheel. So I grabbed a D system from a breakers yard and installed that to act as the screen wash system. I used the bulkhead tank for the HL wash: two pumps from Shoguns - one for HLs and one for the aux lights. They draw a fair amount of current, so I used a relay and to keep wiring to a minimum tee'd it off the REAR screen washer switch.

I don't know what size the tank is, I'd guess 3-4 litres, but with both pumps and four jets (actually six because transit's are "double" jets), I can empty the tank in about 15-20 seconds! Mind you, a 1-2 second burst is enough to clean fresh mud off and give me enough light to keep going, which is all I wanted!!

Reply to
anon

Nah, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Just I don't room for a second car while it is getting sorted.

The only reason I found how bad that small patch was, was that it looks=20 like it has had a parking clout on the door mirror (pillar/frameless)=20 that had bent it in a little. I was attempting to straighten it because=20 the panel gap is fine, but the mirror gap is wrong from top to bottom.

When I placed an old Bolster chisel between the mirror mount stub and=20 the door frame as I closed the door, it kind of sunk a little. Most of=20 the metal is nice solid and shiney with surface rust. Other bits are=20 slightly thinner metal with thicker rust, but it is all quite solid=20 still. I'm just being honest with the details.

TBH, it drives wonderfully, it goes like stink, and =A320 on alignment=20 means it handles almost as well as the Celica did. And it still cost me=20 less than the others of similar or worse condition I saw advertised.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Yeah, but how much are you going to want for it?

Although with the almost total lack of interest (despite new tyres and brakes having perked it up immnensely; I hear those new Virgin trains pull like a Subaru...) in my Outback, I'll probably be sorted for cars next year even if I do want a cabriolet.

I'm amazed. I thought people LIKED 4x4s, liked Subarus, and especially liked cars that will devour motorways and A-roads at insane speeds...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Hmm, leaking roof, rotten screen pillars....

100 quid, cutting me own arm off, guv.
Reply to
SteveH

See, I'm not sure the screen pillars would be an MOT failure ;)

So, £150 ;)

No, really. I mean, an ancient Saab with no fuel gauge (or was that sorted?), a shredded roof, and rust in pretty structural places; but still good mechanical bits I assume? I mean, it's a project, but most cars over 10 years old usually are - may as well have one that is interesting.

Though I am veering towards getting an XJS when the Beetle goes back, just for the hell of it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The thing that would worry me about screen pillar rot is that the stuff you *can't* see down in the A-pillar is usually a lot worse.

Heh. YKIMS, sort of. I've seen an XJ40 Supercharged XJR being sold locally for £995..... I was very tempted to have a look.

Reply to
SteveH

Asking =A32400, =A3200 less than it cost me with tyres. Still a bargain. You buy a =A32400 car.=20 You spend =A31k and a fuel sender (never did find one) You get a =A34k car. Only the mileage stops it from ever selling as a =A36k= =20 car. Trust me. A =A3500 hardtop Saab is a =A32k convertible. A =A33k hardtop is a =A310k convertible. OC members go stupid over it. My other option is to see what one of the indie dealers will trade me=20 off a lower mileage 2.3 turbo 9000. I'll get a new car, and he'll think=20 he's suckered me over. that is the last resort if it doesn't sell.

Thing with Saabs is, you can just about see everything and see where=20 rust lurks, almost nothing is hidden. Even rear shock mounts are outside=20 the wheel arch, so you can take off a wheel, drop the shock and check it=20 out. The parts that rust are so visible, it is incredible.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Soooo..

£2,400 + £1,000 plus effort, plus dealing with rust, plus £150 or so IIRC for the new sender, and I get a car which would be £4,000 when smart and not rusty, for £3,600 plus (which is what I'd expect to haggle a £4K car down to /at least/).

I suspect I'll pass; that's a real minter of a Mk 1 Golf Cabrio, it's even a half-decent XJS Cabrio or a good XJS hardtop.

Okay, whilst I know the C900 isn't a 900... but:

And I'm not fussed about the Turbo... ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Ouch, sombody badly scaped a Cavalier.

It's a non-turbo Auto, worth about 1/3 the price of a turbo manual, n=20 matter what the condition. You can actually break those auto boxes by=20 resting your hand on top of the knob. The shifter button is actually=20 ontop and it knackers the box resting your hand between shifts.

no power adjust leather seats. No power mirrors I don't think. Bodily mine is better too. I predict about =A32000-2200. It may go stupid in the last 15minutes with the finish time it has. Just=20 before people leave work, and are bored monday evening.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

So? It's a ragtop. Who cares what lies beneath ;)

There are a few 16v Turbo hardtops sitting around cheap. Engine transplant ;)

Only an idiot does that.

So?

Er... with the rusting windscreen frame? Isn't the windscreen frame one of the major structural components of any ragtop?

Maybe. Or it may be that this is a 1992 car, and you can get a 1997 car for £3,500, so why on earth would you pay more than £1,500 for one 5 years older?

I know the difference, you do, but 90% of the target market doesn't, otherwise no-one would buy a 9-3 Cabriolet.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

3rd from bottom 1st page

Red 2.0i halfway down 1st page. Second from bottom 1st page Just over halfway down the 4th page Black H plate. Last car 5th page. First car, 6th page

2nd car 9th page Infact there are more on the later pages than the earlier ones.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Ahh, yes, McCarthy cars.... bunch of fuckwits.

They were recently asking £2k for a 1991 Alfa 164 TSpark.

Go figure.

Reply to
SteveH

The old cars drive better, last longer rust less, handle better and=20 aren't vauxhall underneath. Seriously, that is all it takes to sway a=20 Saab fan.

A lot of them beleive the 1994 ragtop was the last SAAB, some say the=20 last 9000 was. After that they were just Saabs, a badge rather than a=20 brand. Sure the Trollhatten engineers may have tweaked things, but you=20 can only go so far when using the same parts bin.

Imagine a car based on a Fiat floor pan, but with Ferrari badges=20 compared to a proper Ferrari? The "real Ferrari" people would pay for=20 the difference. Bit again like a 1980's 924 versus a 1980's non turbo=20

911, which is the better car? They both say Porsche on the badges, but=20 one is half VW and built by Audi. Which is going to be worth more?

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

First car I see is an F-reg (looks smooth, so might be an 89) Turbo 16v Convertible, from a dealer (so £500 off for cash/trade sale, which I do since getting a dealer 100 miles away to honour a warranty is a pain in the arse anyway), in black, with no mention of problems.

It has a sticker price of £1,995. I'd expect to be driving it away for £1,500. Given a choice of a newer car with rust, and an older one without (not that I'm saying this one isn't rusty, but being at a dealer with the current climate, it won't be shit), I'll take the older one.

And the McCarthy cars one? So? It's overpriced, go figure.

I'm asking £3,000 for my Subaru Outback. A quick search on Autotrader reveals the cheapest BH9 (facelift) model is £5,995 on a T (mine's a V) with 20K less mileage but less desireable auto box. Most cars similar to mine are a grand more (there's a 2000W with 95K miles, manual - so VERY comparable to my car - for £6,995).

I stuck mine in a dealer, in a rural area where Subarus are popular, for £3,750.

Not a BITE.

Reckon they're getting interest?

Anyone can overprice a car, but not anyone can sell it ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I bet everyone who sees it cheap thinks it's an absolute shed and doesn't bother ringing.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston