what gearshift ?

Yeah, I know, this is bordering on a mods post, but it sort of balance out some of the other crap.

Anyway, as some of yule know, my old Sylva is very very slowly receiving a new engine. (Only lord Doug knows how slowly).

A Kawasaki ZX10.

Whilst on holiday, it occured to me that I have a choice of how to shift gears.

1) Lever on the transmission tunnel linked via rod or cable to bike box. 2) Manual paddles on steering column via a rod or cable. 3) Electronic flappy paddles on the steering columns.

I can find a push button system that does flat upshifting via ignition cut, which seems to tick all of the boxes, but it doesn't do throttle blip for downshift, so you need to juggle the throttle whilst on the brakes to avoid rear wheel lockup.

I can also find a manual flappy paddle system which does flat shift ignition cut and also throttle blip for downshift to avoid wheel lockup. This seems to tick more boxes.

I imagine the car is going to be plenty fast that I'll want to keep both hands on the wheel.

What would you have.

Gear lever, manual paddles, leccy paddles ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Leccy paddles. Rods and cables are a PITA to keep feeling 'tight', IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

BOB! Is it really you? Welcome back.

Do you still need a throttle blip with no flywheel and very little internal engine inertia?

Leccy paddles are clearly cooler but I am (perhaps unnecessarily) imagining a world of pain to make it work properly and reliably. How 'bolt on' is such a system?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Fine, so what setup does leccy paddles with clutchless downshifting - flat shifting up the way is easy to find.

If this had throttle blip for downshift, it would be way up there on my list.

Bob Sherunckle

They've been around in the bike world for many years now - not too expensive and very easy to bolt on.

Reply to
SteveH

My mate's dad's 7 clone that I've posted pics of before (the orangeVortex) has an R1 engine, and that has a sequential shifter stick in the centre, and been that it's all set up with bike stuff you can flat shift anyway if you want, but he says they tend to clutch up the upshift, and not bother on the downshift (I think I've got that the right way round).

I don't know how helpful this info is, but they seem to have immense fun driving it, and it works well, and he drives it to work sometimes when it's sunny, and also took it the 90 odd miles to a kitcar show near Lincoln last year heh - so it must work ok on the road too.

It seems to me that manual paddles or electronic flappy paddles are just an unnecessary complication that could go wrong (especially the electronic ones!). I think the sequential stick shifter, although the least interesting, is the best way to go personally.

Reply to
DanB

Very bolt on seems to be the answer.

I'm being a bit narrow minded here, but I have managed to lock up the back end going into the hairpin when I had the locost. That was down to injudicious downshifting. I want throttle blip on the downshift so that I can stand on the brakes and pull the left paddle three times - all within the straight bit between the esses and the hairpin. Turn - nail throttle - flick right hand paddle ,2,3 - flick right hand paddle,2,3 - etc.....

Am I being idealistic ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Hmmm, the only systems that work that well in real life, are on Supercars or the new DSG setups - which are either ridiculously expensive, and fragile, or just ridiculous expensive, because the box itself is made of titanium, tanks and Rambo...

Reply to
DanB

It's t'other way around.

Electronic acutation of a sequential shift is very simple to to - it's just a simple push / pull. Much easier than automating a 'normal' H-gate car box.

Reply to
SteveH

Oops heh, I couldn't remember from riding either it's been that long.

I'm sure it is, but it's still adding an extra bit of, probably quite pricey, electronics.

Reply to
DanB

Surprisingly cheap.

SteveH

This was the one I had in mind

Bob Sherunckle

Try giving ProShift a ring on 01332 294 994 and speak to them, (they will try to sell you one of there systems, but I here they are honest).

Reply to
Depresion

Standard airshifters do that too. I always used them, without a problem. Like you say you can use a solenoid instead to push and an ignition cut. I used to arange my own though.

but it doesn't do throttle blip for

So fit another microswitch that blips via another cheap solenoid and a 555 timer chip ti limit duration to your choice via a pot?

Should be easy to arrange. The microswitch needs to operate just before the gear down actuator one. And limited to a duration of say 1/30 of a second. Or whatever trial and error says is smoothest.

Trev langfikeld used to do a system that worked like that for disabled up/down shifters on bikes.

Reply to
Burgerman