What is the easiest way to make pure ethanol?

I know that for a given quantity premium unleaded 95 ron CF triple=20 distilled ethanol, Ethanol has a lower calorific value but a higher=20 octane. Which means the MPG wouldn't be as good, but the engine can run=20 a higher compression ratio to get maximum performance from the=20 available fuel. Larger injectors and a remap or custom ECU (about =A3200+= =20 the dyno time to map for the higher fuel needs) would sort that. If you=20 need to compromise, the same larger injectors could be duel in a=20 dual/flex setup. If you used a low compression head and an ecu=20 controlled low pressure turbo with knock sensing, you could still run=20 the high ignition advance even using a distibutor, without risk to the=20 engine. High proof ethanol does little damage if not excessively=20 contaminated, and we don't have continuos temps low enough in winter to=20 worry about the need to "blend" like Scandinavia and parts of the US.=20

So, what do you know about running engines on high ethanol fuels? being=20 that you are a welder, that would be something you dealt with everyday.

No, I would spend about =A3200 GBP on an ECU and map that. I would leave=20 the original factory one alone. I can't believe you are too stupid to=20 have read that.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Inkubus Sukkubus-Turnera

Reply to
Elder

Says the "man" who posts from his Google account 90% of the time in his alternate reality.

So, you assert that you cannot make Ethanol pure enough to run a car on through triple distillation alone. You assert that mollases rich animal feed and suger rich fruits and veg couldn't be used to make a suitable source of a base "brew" to be distilled into ethanol. You assert that you can "map" an ECU in a standard car? Cite proof for all of these assertions.

By running the engine on a dynamometer. Modern cars feature in 90% of cases an ECU that can be flashed without need to change anything physical. Even my car can do that, and you know what that is, you said so. I can even change the "weight" of the power steering and the step points in the intermittent wipers should I need to. Altering timing, fuel pulse duration, Air/Fuel mappings etc are all possible. You can even fine tune how sensitive it is to Knock, and the temperature range of the airconditioning. You now how it can be a pain if things are too cool inside your G reg Nova.

Oh yeah nearly forgot......

You aren't Ken. Ken uses a Google groups account and a Yahoo email address and Ken doesn't use socks. Go on Who are you?

Reply to
Elder

Did you mean can't there? Because, you can...

Reply to
Iridium

"Methylated" refers to the fact that it has a proportion of Methyl alcohol (aka methanol) added. And yes, it is poisonous.

The colour isn't necessarily added either - eg industrial meths (IMS) or the various foreign versions (alcool a bruler).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

LOL, yeah. I dropped a "ken" there for a second (said something stupid without trying).

Reply to
Elder

Phew :-) I'm not sure if all ECUs can be reflashed mind you, I know Vauxhall ones can.

Reply to
Iridium

I know that for a given quantity premium unleaded 95 ron CF triple distilled ethanol, Ethanol has a lower calorific value but a higher octane. Which means the MPG wouldn't be as good, but the engine can run a higher compression ratio to get maximum performance from the available fuel. Larger injectors and a remap or custom ECU (about £200+ the dyno time to map for the higher fuel needs) would sort that. If you need to compromise, the same larger injectors could be duel in a dual/flex setup. If you used a low compression head and an ecu controlled low pressure turbo with knock sensing, you could still run the high ignition advance even using a distibutor, without risk to the engine. High proof ethanol does little damage if not excessively contaminated, and we don't have continuos temps low enough in winter to worry about the need to "blend" like Scandinavia and parts of the US.

So, what do you know about running engines on high ethanol fuels? being that you are a welder, that would be something you dealt with everyday.

No, I would spend about £200 GBP on an ECU and map that. I would leave the original factory one alone. I can't believe you are too stupid to have read that.

Reply to
Ken

Most modern ones can. This and the previous generation. makes it easier for manufacturers to supply "Car A" for the whole world with it's different fuel qualities, without having to supply country specific hardware. Just the fuel/ignition map changed to suit.

Reply to
Elder

Wonder if you would be good enough to advise anyone sad enough to be reading your increasingly tedious cut and paste drivel, why anyone who is serious about engine performance, would never ever run on high ethanol content fuels?

Ken

I assume then you have access to full dyno testing facilities, and the ability to use them properly, when re-mapping your ECU's?

Ken

I thought you knew all about Squirts.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Subway to Sally-Herrin des Feuers

Reply to
Elder

Yes. Don't you?

Reply to
Elder

Environmental improvment CO and H20 being the only bye products. Higher octane value will enable you to run higher compression ratios and higher ignition advance number to improve performance. Particularly important to turbo charged vehicles where the dymanic compression ratio is many times that of the static compression ratio. The higher octane rating would allow a higher "safe" static compression ratio to make off boost driving more comfortable, without relying on backing off the ignition advance higher up the boost curve, allowing even higher performance at the top end.

It has none of the destructive side effects on the engine/fuel system materials that methanol does and doesn't use nasty chemical processes that are environmentally damaging that commercial methanol production uses.

The high octane rating and the cooler running of burning ethanol make it perfect for long term running in high performance engines and road and competition and is the fuel of choice for indy car racing.

Now I've said why they would and should, I would like you tell them why they shouldn't?

Reply to
Elder

Chris wouldn't know a MegaSquirt if it jumped up and f*cked him up the a*se. He would enjoy it though I'm sure.

Chris, MegaSquirt is a quite successful and popular DIY engine management system now, and a built ecu can be bought for less than £200. And one can map a MegaSquirt oneself, using suitable software. I suspect that would be beyond your ken though.

Reply to
Rachael

I know. The fact he had to ask shows so much.

Reply to
Elder

Ahhhhhhhhh................another method of getting you fuckwits to open your wallets!

Whether or not you are able to get hold of a crude adjustable ECU, still doesnt mean you can "map" it yourself!

Strangely no matter what ridiculous blurb the makers of this sort of s**te come up with, to correctly program any electronic injection/ignition management system, is going to take plently of time on the dyno!

Thing is with a chav type system like this, its likely to have so few map points that its going to be almost impossible to get a car running as well as the std ECU provided by the car manufacturer.................

A proper programmable ECU is going to cost £3k +, and isnt really worth fitting on a road going vehicle, as most adjustments to fueling can be easily and cheaply achieved retaining the std ECU, without recourse to silly chav-tune rubbish!

Ken

If the cut and past bullshit above is correct, then why on earth does no one involved with tuning engines (experts, not shysters selling s**te trinkets to chavs!), ever use high high ethanol fuels in their motors?

I guess you are finding this question a bit difficult, as being a "Google Gary" you are not likely to find the answer on the net!

Ken

I want you to cite at least one page where I have Cut a hole in their website to "past" it in (did you mean paste)? I would like you to cite at least one webpage where I even copied their info straight in?

Indy car racing mate. They seem to know about going fast on Ethanol. Saab and Volvo mate. They know about going fast on the road on Ethanol. Within the next 20 years in Sweden, if you want to drive a car you better be prepared to use a non fossil fuel. So Ethanol, BioDiesel, Electric or Flux Capacitor. A couple of these are already in use, one is impractical and the other is fantasy. Spot the fantasy.

Reply to
Elder

Beat me to it.

Reply to
SteveH

Bullshit. You can get a motec for Aus$3000.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston