What's better?

Million dollar question.

Okay so y'all accept that Charlie and I have two choices for Kermy replacement. Focus or Mondeo.

Forget everything else, right? :)

Now I don't reckon we can get a TDCi of either in good enough condition so we're getting a rattly one.

Is the Focus TDDi a better bet than a Mondeo Di?

I really want cruise but I don't reckon that'll be an option for either... :-/

Reply to
DervMan

They're both shit.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

But which is less so?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

More than the kind of person who's previously owned your stunning collection of previous drives.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

No offence, but, like what would you know?

Reply to
DervMan

The TDDi focus never had cruise as an option :-( , only diesel model with cruise is the 2.0l tdci ghia AFAIK. You could consider a petrol model ;-)

The focus is a better car than the mondeo, all focuses came with a 10 year anti perf warranty, as opposed to the mk2 mondeos which all had 6 year, so Ford obviously had more confidence in the rust proofing on the focus.

If you have any queries about the focus then I can recommend the ffoc.co.uk forums, there is even a seperate section for those that have turned to the "dark" fuel.

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt

Heh I ought to have said - the mark three Mondeo.

Reply to
DervMan

You're in no position to make that comment!

Reply to
DervMan

Yebbut...Steve H's an Alfa man...he can't be all bad...

Reply to
Halmyre

Why buy the copy when the original is so reasonably priced these days?

Reply to
SteveH

Dervy appears to be determined to buy every model of yawningly dull oil buring Ford in recent history.

I thought of buying a diesel when I was doing a long commute, but decided the cost savings weren't worth the sacrifice.

Reply to
SteveH

Orion 1.6D it is then!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"A common rail rattly engine is out of budget so I'm getting an older style rattly one" :-)

I'd have said no - the Mondeo Di (well, TDi, whatever you want to call it -

115PS version right?) is probably not that much of a step down from the TDCi, whereas the 90PS Focus TDDi isn't that great. It's ok (more or less the same engine as my 75PS Fiesta) but really nothing spectacular. VAG TDi's are leagues better, even the 90PS one that's been around since 1991. Get one of them - something like a Seat if you don't fancy a Golf.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Because unlike the hot hatch handling original, the Mondeo goes around corners, is moderately entertaining to drive and has a supple ride.

It also doesn't bend you over the servicing desk when it needs attention, it is cheaper to insure and the dealers don't treat you like they've stepped in you.

And finally it doesn't look daft by sitting an inch too high on two-inches-too-small wheels either.

Reply to
DervMan

Yup. Proper rattly.

There are two problems with the proper TDCi. One is that they depreciate slowly. Two is that they're part-French.

But the TDI isn't better than the TDCi these days...

The Leon is in the running.

Reply to
DervMan

Well, I was comparing the older 4-pot VAG TDIs with the TDDI/Di/TDi or whatever Ford engines, not with the TDCI ones. But surely the latest crop of PD TDI engines are every bit as good as the TDCIs, if not better? And the V6 TDIs are commonrail.

I always thought the Leon shared everything with the Golf, including the suspension components. But I've also heard that it's a better driver's car than the Golf. What's going on?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You guys..........

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Surely even he wouldn't stoop that low.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

But every time you look at it or sit in it, or even drive it, you *know* you have a cheap copy of the B5 Passat.

Reply to
SteveH

Seller optimism defined....

Tim S Kemp