What's the FASTEST car you've ever driven?

Today I drove a car that I swear was almost better than an orgasm!

It was the guy who owns the company where I work's 54 Plate Jaguar XJR.

I had to drop off his courtesy car (a Nissan Micra) and return this beauty after it had been to the garage for something or other.

I have honestly in my life never known acceleration like it on ANY car I've ever driven previously, and I did once drive an old Sierra 4x4 Cossie, I mean you could be doing 70 in this thing barely touching the Gas and then floor it...Jesus! the thing moved like it was on fire, and I swear to god the traction control lamp was actually flashing!

I only got to drive this car about 25 miles but I would sell my soul to own one!

I know you can pick these up used at a fraction of their original value due to the heavy depreciation but god, the running costs of one of these must be absoulutely astronomical, oh well DREAM ON!!

Reply to
Me

The fastest car I've driven, or the fastest I've driven?

Because I think the XJ220 and Ferrari F40 would count as a tie...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Was that at one of those supercar track days you see advertised in the paper?

Reply to
Me

Nope. Drove the XJ220 3 miles between showrooms for a dealer, drove the F40 on the A720 whilst my Porsche 924S was being serviced :D

Richard (at the time, aged 17 and 20ish respectively).

Reply to
RichardK

Fastest[1] I ever drove, if only briefly, was a TVR 390 -jings!

Fastest[2] I've driven any distance is the ALPINA B10 V8 that I currently own - no drama, no fuss, unconditionally quick.

One is a fire breathing monster which might well try to kill you, the other is luxury transport.

[...Jag XKR...]

I paid 20% of the new price for my B10, maintenance costs however stay pretty much full price - ~20mpg on (mandatory)Optimax, £180/corner for tyres, £300 brakes, £150 oil change...

It is in the same ballpark as sex tho' :)

A [1] feeling... [2] in real life

Reply to
Alistair J Murray

Mercedes Sprinter.

Reply to
Grant

That well known car.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

hmmm dunno i guess my MR2 turbo, most fun on the other had would be my MK1 MR2 down some B roads, nothing comes close to that in fun factor :)

Reply to
Vamp

Well... Fastest car is probably the MTM RS4 - saw 180 and still pulling on the GPS, and thats with the nitrous disarmed... Not driven it hard myself though that was a passenger ride.

Fastest I've driven is 160 indicated in my own volvo. Been driven in a

450bhp supra recently which is fast, not explored the Vmax. Had a 225 TT at the limiter too.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news:20ace.5802401$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com, Me decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Drove one of those when they were new out. Quite good.

Quickest stuff I've driven?

400 BHP Integrale 528 BHP Sapphire Cosworth (mine, all mine!) 500 BHP 911 Turbo (fastest I've ever been on the road) 850 BHP 1966 Dodge Dart - 10.6 litre motor, over 1000 bhp with nitrous [1]

The most fun, scary thing?

A stupidly tuned Alfa 75 3.0

Most scared I've ever been in a car?

Talbot Sunbeam with 3.5 litre Autodelta Alfa V6, on ice, on 8" and 10" wide, very old and decrepit slicks, on a tarmac rally as a navigator.

Reply to
Pete M

My worked R32 GTR. Scary fast.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Now that is really a courtesy car.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Heh. They were moving it anyway, and I was hanging around the garage looking bored. Right place/right time.

The 550 was locked, and I bashed my head on a mystery device in the Testarossa. Being 80s, I like the idea of the Testarossa, but it was a little cramped.

I saw a Celica GT4 parked outside the Elsi in Whitby on the last day, too! Looked nicer than I remembered them.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Probably the Prodrive tuned Impreza (0-60 wise) or the Merc 500SL (top speed) not that I drove them fast, I have only ever broken the ton on the roads (private roads) in three cars (biggest engine there was a 1.6).

Reply to
Depresion

There is 3 kinds. ST165, very boxy 4th generation Celica with popups ST185 (which I have). 5th gen with bonnet scoop on the normal models, and vent on the Carlos Sainz models with popup lights. ST205, last model, quad headlights, very curvy, a lot lighter with lots of Aluminium panels, and a bonnet vent like the Carlos Sainz 185s.

Would love a 205, but prices are near twice what a 185 fetches for equal condition of each.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Scooby WRX, which wasnt that quick in the scheme of things. Hit 140 when I wasnt driving Hopefully going up to Goodwood in June with a mate in his VX220 turbo, now sporting 242bhp which should be fairly swift. It'll be like my MR2 with twice the power :D

The quickest thing I've experienced in terms of power to weight (and hence acceleration) would be on a bike. A Kawasaki Ninja - 130 on the wrong side of a less than smooth A road, totally mental. And also crusinig around the Isle of Wight with my Dad a few years ago on the back of a Bandit 1200, which almost broke my arms as I held on to the grab rails and was forced backwards when he decided to open the throttle up.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

love the ST205's as well but it's £1k more on the price than my MR2 turbo cost plus there's 4WD system and stuff to go wrong :(

Reply to
Vamp

The 4wd stuff is pretty much bomb proof, especially in the 205. Fensport use a standard 205 box, transfer and rear diff with a top end=20 clutch in their corrolla.

They broke one rear diff launching, but it is 600+Horses there. I have=20 heard of someone breaking the diff in a 185 with just about 300horses,=20 but he did sidestep the cluch without taking up the slack first, so=20 there was a massive shock through the system it isn't supposed to have.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

The fatest I have ever driven a car was a ahem... Vauxhall Vectra hire car between Edinburgh & Falkirk, it was a 51 Plate 2.2LS with 3k on the clock, I had it up to 140 (on the clock) needless to say I didn't try to go round a corner very fast in it!

Reply to
Me

Right up until the moment you tried to stop.

Reply to
Steve Firth