What's the fastest Tractor?

Just having random thoughts about a cool RTW trip, and thought I'd ask the above question. And what sort of mpg would one get out of one?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It'll be a JCB FasTrak like Clarkson had on the Top Gear episode where they had tractors and were growing petrol -

I'm not sure about the MPG, or indeed, whether it is the fastest, but I'm gonna Google for it now :-)

Reply to
DanB

As Dan says it'll be the JCB Fastrak, 50-70km/h depending on model. No idea what mpg, they weigh 7-10 tons so wouldn't expect it's too good.

Reply to
Homer

"Homer" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They scare the living crap out of me. That size, that speed, with cleated tyres. Braking distance...? Thanks, but no thanks.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, i have a 160bhp fastrack, which will do 65km/h top whack.

It uses around 14 litres / hr of fuel at full load, but on the road, the cvt box knocks revs back to 1500 when you reach full speed...

Stopping is not really a problem; it has giant 20inch discs all round with twin calipers on the front and ABS / EBD, plus a ruddy great bull bar on the front :o)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hehe! I was right :-) Awesome. It may weigh 7-10 tons but that's less than most tractors isn't it?

Reply to
DanB

"Tim.." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...and cleated tyres, which aren't exactly renowned for great grip on tarmac.

Mmmm.

Reply to
Adrian

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's not just the tractor itself, of course. I was squeezed into a hedge in the Cotswolds last weekend letting one through, and had time to take note of the contents of the trailer. Bags of fertilizer. 500kg bags of fertilizer. 18 of 'em. So that's 9t + 9t tractor + (a couple of ton?) trailer...

Reply to
Adrian

Harley Davidson hard tail........

Reply to
Geoff

7-8 tonnes would be your average 140hp tractor, something big like a JD 7930 tips the scales at around 12t. The fastrac is about 10t.

I can easily have a train weight of 25+t with a decent trailer behind.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Those bags you lift up with loops at the top? They're a tonne a bag....

Reply to
Conor

these are pretty quick, but i'm not sure about the practicality for a long trip :-)

james

jamesd1974

Don't you mean gpm?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Dunno - metres per gallon might be appropriate :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Just in case you meet a ruddy great bull.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Clarkson showed the Fastrak can happily pull around 58 tonnes of 747.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Didn't fat tom on 5th gear prove that the Tuarueg V10 could do the same though.

Reply to
Elder

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm sure some are. But with these, the fact they said "500kg" on the side was, I thought, a subtle clue.

Reply to
Adrian

GLOL!

Reply to