What's the general consensus on......

1997 R Reg PEUGEOT 406 2.1 TD Executive 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 122,000 miles, Diablo met burgandy red, MOT-03-2007, 2 Owners. Air Bag, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes, Auto air conditioning, Black leather seats, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Immobiliser. All usual main dealer facilities £1,995.

Sounds a tad expensive to me, however, it is absolutely loaded with kit, and there's got to be room to do a half decent deal on the Marea at that screen price......

The perverse side of me says 'yes', 'cos there's definitely something warped about driving such a loaded spec. Pug repmobile.

(Obviously, I'd want 12 month's MOT and a new cambelt, or evidence of a very recent change for that money, too, oh, and a decent warranty)

Reply to
SteveH

It'll do the job comfortably and well. Hell of a better bet than that Rover... Handles well for a barge, obviously being a diesel, it'll be slow and irriating to drive, but then that comes with territory.

Do it :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Old style TD isn't as frugal as the common rail stuff. But it'll drink less than your marea, if only because it'll be slower. Feels a bit expensive to me too.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yup, that's my thoughts, really.

I'd aim for £1200 plus the Marea, new MOT and cambelt.... or at least evidence that I'd get another 12 months before a belt is due. (It's only an XUD, so my local guy would do the belt on that for £f*ck all)

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, they're piece of piss, I could pretty much do one when I was 10 (albeit on a BX with the samller engines).

Although in your situation I'd probably look for a well looked after, late model BX TD for about a quarter of what you're paying, but I dont think you'd go for that!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Curiously exactly what I did two years ago :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Wrong car from wrong manufacturer from wrong country with wrong engine, wrong gearbox, wrong bodyshell in the wrong colour.

Other than that, it's got leather, and air con (if it works) so it's not all bad.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sorry, I thought I asked about a 406, not an Elk-Klasse.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH: And I'll be p/x ing this... Ulucky Car Salesman: what is it SH: A Fiat Marea UCS: Marina? Wasn't that BL? SH: No you miserable tard, it's the same as a 156 but with a stupid engine that doesn't fit in the enginebay and no style whatsoever UCS : How much petrol is in the tank? SH: 1/4 UCS: Here's 20p, go buy some matches, sir...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ahhh - right, so a Mercedes made in Germany with a CDi engine and a proper autobox in Silver is wrong/wrong/wrong/wrong/wrong?

Hmmm..

Anonymous 4 door saloon in crap colour with junk engine and fragile gearbox and dodgy electronics. Ahh yes, you /were/ looking to replace a Marea weren't you!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Mr Pot.......

At least my engine is vaguely accessible.

Reply to
SteveH

At least mine doesn't need to be on a regular basis

"chain cam"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

euch...

That's so "Bavarian-Munchen"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well junk engine was a gimme, being that its A) a diesel and B) a cheapish diesel. I'm not sure where you invented the gearbox bit from mind you. Basing your entire prejudice for the 406 on the fact that you once rode in a

405 in Africa down one of their 'roads' isn't really fair.
Reply to
DanTXD

In news:1hft3l5.1ujp7lt16zo1o4N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

I quite like the 406.

Not quick, but they feel reasonably well built, Exec spec is pretty nice, seats are comfy, and the 2.1 whilst being a bit on the noisy side is nicer to drive than the 1.9.

Does seem expensive, you can get the 406 V6 Exec for half that, and then you'd have a grand for fuel.

Reply to
Pete M

Lol - that car is now lond dead, replaced with a Volvo 240. They have a 190E as well.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Fuel costs - right, well he said he did 30k/year, and the Marea does26mpg, so at 94p/litre that's £4930/year on juice.

Let's say that driven in the same way, that diesel Pug will do 35mpg - calling it 98p/litre that's £3818/year on juice.

And let's say the V6 will do 22mpg - that's £5827/year.

So £2k a year dearer to fuel....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Me too. My mate got a lower spec one off Ebay for £400.

Reply to
Conor

£1200 plus a car for a 9 year old 406?

Madness.

Reply to
Conor

Highly unlikely it was a diesel for that money...... I suppose you could

*possibly* get a very, very early, been to the moon and back (twice) poverty example in white for somewhere in that region...... but a half decent TD on an R plate or later seems to have a real world value of £1500 plus or minus a few hundred.
Reply to
SteveH