What shall I do

Considering another car, for fun (including rallying) after the XR goes....

3 basic options, although I'm thinking of more each day:
  1. Pug 205 XS/TD/GTi - cheap and cheerful. Quick and well setup out of the box and I understand them. Cost £400
  2. Volvo 360 GLT - even cheaper than the Pug but you get RWD and a half decent weight balance. However would need at least a brake upgrade to vented jobbies, which isnt as easy as it sounds. Cost £300
  3. BMW 325i Sport (E30) - a mate has moved to London and doesnt need it any more. Needs a new sump (about £120 for a new one) and some engine mounts (few quid each) and the exhuast is blowing. On the plus side its RWD,
170bhp and has an LSD :) He's also selling a V8 Soarer for £2300, but I think that may be a bit too silly!

I'm liking the idea of the 325, but I fear it may turn into a money pit as its high mileage! Can anyone else suggest a sub £500 car for some fun?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Get the Pug, you know you want to :)

Failing that, perhaps something in an AX GT? Don't think you could get a worthwhile 5 Turbo in that price range, so i'm out of ideas :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Alfa 75. I know of a very cheap one for sale. No alloys and needs an MOT, but it's currently well under £100 on ebay. (being sold by a mate)

Reply to
SteveH

Link please :) Would it pass an MoT? What do they drive like?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Maybe if the right one came up.

Yeah, AX GT is another option, as its near enough a 205 XS. Dont want a R5 (well I do, but the reliability scares me!)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

less than £500 hummmm a skoda? :)

Reply to
aussie bongo

i think the V8 soarer is the sensible option. come on you know it is :)

i'd go BMW out of that lot

Reply to
Vamp

Tempted to say the 325i, if you plan on just moting it and keeping it standard go with that or the gti. If you plan on modding it go for the GTi.

Reply to
REMUS

They're quite odd.

Go quite well, as you'd expect from 150bhp and not much weight. Gearbox in the right place, which is good :-)

Handling is a little strange - they're squidgy but don't roll - probably something to do with the Torsion Bar front and De Dion rear suspension. Not huge amounts of outright grip, but very nicely balanced.

Should be OK for an MOT - it's just had a new windscreen and the rot hasn't taken hold - I considered having it to re-shell my oily bits (I've spent a fair bit on fettling, so know I have a rock solid engine and 'box now).

There ya go.

Reply to
SteveH

I like that a lot. In fact thats very cool, in an ugly kinda way. Is the engine OK then? Off to check out insurance now.

However, to further complicate things I've now been offered a 205 Mi16 in part ex for the MX5. needs some tidying but could be fun!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yup, the car is fine. My mate is only selling it 'cos he's got a restored Sprint, 116 Giulietta V6 and a 156 TSpark Sportpack.

He did also have my old 155, but that went when he bought the 156 - he's just run out of room in his barn.

Changing the subject a tad..... any idea where I can get a full set of Martini decals from? - given that I have a white 75 for track days, it would be rude not to :-)

Reply to
SteveH

4: Morris Minor, it'll last a year, £450. 5: My Supra, £600. 6: My Sera, with the kinked bonnet, £800

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Hate them.

Over budget and also will probably be a money pit.

Far too much, and again the potential to be a money pit. I want a car that i can buy cheap spares for at GSF and ECP :)

Sorry old bean

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They drive ace, I'd have one myself but if I wanted to throw my life and money away on an big italian car I'd get a maserati...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Beemer.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Doubt it for a good one.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

325 sounds good. If you want something cheap and solid for rallying with no toys to go=20 wrong, Skoda Favorit, from =A390 upwards. If you want comfort for day to day driving, don't bother with Skoda=20 unless you don't mind slow, or have =A33k+ to spend.

I would be tempted by the V8 Soarer, but I'm stupid when it comes to=20 cars. The heart always wins in the end.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Surely 'good' and 'old Skoda' are a contradiction in terms ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Nobody mentioned old.