What to buy?

I've been working on my Merc estate this weekend trying to get rid of some of the rust. It's worse than I'd even anticipated - the front wings are gone, but also the back wheelarches, the front chassis is starting to rust and the tailgate is starting to disintegrate - possibly because I put a large dent in it by reversing into a Mk 3 Fiesta (which was squashed in the middle and I had the sight of a granny crying). Not to mention the holes around the glass that I've found under the windscreen and estate glass.

In other words - a wreck in about 6 months time. And all that after I'd managed to deal with the leaking gearbox and suspension.

So, SWMBO has agreed it can go, but ....

I need something that has space, 4 doors, decent performance but can also get past her glare of not wanting something 'expensive to run'. I still get reminded about when I blew the engine up on my Sierra Cossie, plus when I had a Bond Equipe and wrecked it.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer an estate, but don't want a newer Merc since the ones from the early 90's are not built as well. Also, the budget's about £2500. I'm drawn to a Galant - the V6 model is all I can afford, but she's on about getting something sensible like a 1.4 Astra or Focus hatchback. And I'm not prepared for sensible and geriatric yet.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Legacy quad cam turbo estate. YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!

Reply to
Doki

I thought about one of those - but read on here of the engine problems. I nearly bought a modified 450BHP Legnum last time but the insurance quote (£1900 fully comp) shocked me. So I bought another Merc.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Not sure what else to suggest. I've always liked E30 estates, but they;re a bit old. Galants do indeed look wicked, but I'd have to have the VR...

Reply to
Doki

W124 Series Mercedes 300TE.

Should be able to get a K-L plater for that in good condition.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

[snip]

Good grief. They must be bad, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"don't want a newer Merc since the ones from the early 90's are not built as well"

How about an E34 BMW 5-series Touring?

Something like a late 525i Auto - it'll have the VANOS engine (much more economical than the previous 24-valvers), great autobox that's pretty economical on a run, 200 or so bhp, and an SE spec one with leather seats would be the icing on the cake.

A bit like this:

(if it hasn't already gone, that is)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Volvo V40 / Volvo 850 - Merc 300E Subaru Impreza / Legacy V6 Vectra / Mondeo

156 Sportswagon thingy

Or as you say, the Galant. I really like the Galant, but having had a couple of Volvos I'd go looking for a 2.0T or T4 V40.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd be wary of the Galant myself; I like them, but the electronics... argh.

Isn't 2.5K enough to buy a nearly new 156?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

E30 325i Touring Suburu Impreza Wagon Volvo T5

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You could always get a Marea, after all they're just the same.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or 250 Tempra S.W.s

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I've got one of those. It's a 1988 F-reg and SWMBO doesn't want me to get another.

David

Reply to
David Lane

My non VANOS 24 valve E34 auto was one of the most economical cars of that size I've owned. The VANOS improves low speed torque, but I'm not sure about economy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've thought of the T5 estate - and that would suit. The Impreza would probably be a bit small.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Lane

Strangely I was thinking of either a decent V40 or probably an 850 T5 estate.

I've decided. No more Mercs. I've had several and they've each been worse than the last. Except a 1998 E200, which was like an out-of-control Transit. At least it was the company's when I reversed into the Bosses new 528SE.

The fact that my wife can't reach the pedals on my 300TE is also an issue.

The Legacy is a possibility, but there's engine issues aren't there? The Impreza would be too small.

I'd prefer something that doesn't say 'repmobile'. But certainly a possibility - and more likely to get past the approval of SWMBO.

I'd prefer an Alfa. But the reliability concerns me more than a little.

Thanks for the advice.

David

Reply to
David Lane

The ones I've had are:

1986 200TE W124 - slow but solid. Someone hit it at 70 whilst I was stationary. I got a cracked bumper and dented tailgate. He lost the front of his Astravan. 1998 E200 - awful. Poor build quality, wandered over the road and was so slow it lived on the inside lane. 1988 300TE W124 - quick enough but I've had some serious reliability issues. Like snapping a driveshaft in the middle. And electrics failing (all) whilst on the M1.

I've since looked at the mid-90's ones and later but won't touch them. I was in the Mercedes dealer last week and the new model from 2004 onwards looks good but is way out of my price range (£20k+).

David

Reply to
David Lane

Octavia TDi. You won't need an estate even though they are available. The boot in the=20 hatch is hooooooooooge. With the seat down I can comfortably fit 2 metre=20 lengths of timber in my 2.0 petrol.

Just did a quick Autotrader

Local to me there is only one that fits your needs. It is a better spec than my petrol, and that fits the bill nicely. It is essentially a Golf TDi that is nearly as big as a Passat.

if you wanted a Superb (Passat/A6 chassis but bigger) you are looking at=20 arround 6k for a 1.9TDi and arround =A312k for a V6 TDi

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

And a late model W124 doesn't rot anywhere near as badly as an early E-class.

Reply to
SteveH

There's no real reliability concerns, IME, however, the boot on the Sportwagon is smaller than the saloon boot with the seats up.

As Tim said, a Marea is a very sensible buy as a used car - they're worth sod all, so you can get the wonderful 2-pot versions for a pittance. Pick of the bunch is the 2.4 JTD.

Reply to
SteveH