What would we call a turbo...

..., that after being "run properly" on the track for a little while, starts whistling more than twice as loud as it did before?

And yes, I have checked if it's blown off any hoses and no, I haven't found any.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Buggered.

Reply to
Burgerman

Intercooler look ok? Wastegate ok? Still performing properly?

I killed a Kevlar dump valve on Ye Olde Cossie many moons ago and that made it sound like the turbo was knackered. Constantly vented once it was over about 20 psi, loads of turbo whistle and lost a bit of poke once the turbo was blowing more than 18 psi or os.

Haven't heard the turbo on the T5 yet, but I know it works ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

Looks like it, but I'll check again.

Still makes annoying noises when I lift off, but no noises if I don't.

The boost gauge still mumbles something about 1/2 bar which is all that it normally produces. Obviously I haven't attempted to run it hard at full boost since it became noisy.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The Garrett in my first 900 was quite a whistler, especially after I fitted a cone instead of the airbox.

It was definatley a whistle not a whine or grind though.

It did if for 25k I had it, and 30k later and 2 owners it is still going strong,

Reply to
Elder

Oh, this thing always whistled a little. Only now it is a *lot* louder and the sound has changed.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Reminds me of the US 'Warning: Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear' engraving on wing mirrors.

Better options seen on t'web:

'Warning: objects in the mirror are actually behind you' (for Murkins)

'Cars in the mirror are Losing' (for hardcore gamers)

Reply to
PCPaul

Broken is a good word to start with. Think bearing and oil.

Reply to
Clive

The low pressure turbo donk on my '04 9-3 whistles and snorts, but you only hear it in second gear with the windows down. If you are trying.

Reply to
DervMan

The turbos on VAG TDIs whistle a lot.

Reply to
SteveH

This one was always louder than the one on the Golf. Now it's a heck of a lot louder under heavy load.

I guess I'll pull off the outlet pipework on the compressor side tomorrow and have a look inside...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

My old 205 Dturbo used to whistle incredibly loud - to the point where people used to turn around to look when driving through town. Stopped after I put a new back box on - maybe you blew some baffles out of your exhaust?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I did that with the Saab, but the AFM was also mounted between 2 hard pipes, as well as two very beefy cables ties in suspension between the front top crossmember and the engine crane hook.

It should have been supported by the airbox, but having removed the airbox and fitted an enclosed cone, it hooked onto the AFM at one end (which was on a cast aluminium heavy pipe) and a heavy gauge plastic cold intake pipe at the other side. Held up OK, but I can imagine if it had been done quickly it might have caused problems.

Reply to
Elder

Well, in this case all that was holding the AFM vaguely in place was a single zip tie and a silicon hose.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ouch, at least mine was tensioned tight.

Reply to
Elder

Even if I end up coughing up for the current offending article I told you about yesterday, looking at what similar aged bikes in terms of mileage are up for in MCN at the mo, I'm still going to be several hundred up overall if I sell the VFR on. ;-)

If you find anything relatively local, Pauls pretty agreeable when it comes to getting something up on the ramps for a proper looksee.

But yes, if you'd like someone impartial to cast a disinterested eye over something before you hand over the readies, I'm up for it. :-)

Reply to
JackH

That's always good.

Jolly good, once I've got an inkling regarding the MX5 I might take you up on this offer.

Reply to
Timo Geusch