Whats the score with XM radio>?

Anyone tell me if we can recieve XM radio over here? or this sirrus thing, I know its sat radio, and I know we have DAB over here, which is pretty s**te IIRC.

Anyone know if and when we will be getting proper sat radio?

Cheers

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

DAB is getting better. you can buy radios that allow you to pause re-wind etc now.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

No and No.

Which bit don't you like about it ? It's no worse Satellite or FM ?

Unlikely to ever arrive here - DAB is where the UK is heading...

Reply to
Nom

How about the fact that mono seems to be quite popular on DAB. Several channels that are broadcast in stereo over the net or over cable TV are Mono only on DAB.

Reply to
Depresion

:o/ agreed. whats so bad about DAB? yeah it's not amazing but at the end of the day it's radio....what do you want it to do?

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Not according to this guy

There must be some way to pick up sattelite radio over here,

Reply to
Ronny

isnt that due to the people broadcasting it only sending out a mono signal? thats a shit radio station not a shbit technology.

Reply to
Mason

I don't understand his site ?

There is either DAB or there is FM. They are your choices.

Pay your money, and get whichever you want.

"digitalradiotech.co.uk advises people NOT to buy DAB hi-fi tuners or micro systems as the audio quality on DAB in the UK is very poor and much better audio quality is available on Freeview, digital satellite and digital cable"

What the hell is he talking about ?

A. It sounds no worse than FM

B. You can't get Freeview/digitalsatellite/digitalcable in your Car/Pocket/Etc ! None of them are portable !

Yes, it's called $ky.

Why do you want it ? What's wrong with DAB ?

Reply to
Nom

DAB isnt a subscriber service, its just a better quality FM service which is s**te anyway, I want to be able to choose the type of music I listen to not "be" told, and also be bombarded by adverts every 5 mins,

I want digital, no adverts radio, that is available in all parts of the country via sat, that is near CD quality, is this too much to ask?

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

No, it called, your own CD's :) You don't pay for the radio, so it has adverts, radio is radio, if you don't like it, listen to CD's :)

Reply to
DanTXD

No its called satelite radio, I can listen to CD's now.

Its like having sky in your car only you only use the radio part, and have all the stations with no adverts, and pay a monthly subs,

ronny

Ah its a pay thing - i was thinking you wanted the world on a stick :)

Reply to
DanTXD

hmmm... how about a 3g datacard and winamp?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd be very surprised if you could tell the quality difference between FM and DAB in a car. Although the lack of multi-path effects on DAB should be a plus. Haven't tried it for real in a car, though. But that's what it was designed for in the first place - decent mobile reception.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These systems use geostationary satellites so you wouldn't expect to get signals this side of the Atlantic. However, it's possible that you can because the east coast satellite ought to be above the horizon.

But on the whole, I wouldn't go to the trouble of buying the kit.

You probably already have it coming through cable or via a Sky dish. DAB, that's another perfectly functional sort but higher quality.

As for the Sky stuff, yes, I too can see the problem built into mounting a dish on the roof of your car... Dunno what the yanks are doing to get around that...

Reply to
Questions

They have a contact form, why not ask if you can pick up a decent signal in the UK?

Reply to
Questions

It can do. Several stations transmit at 128kbps, and listening via headphones you really can hear compression artefacts. A good FM system in a good reception area does sound better. Also, some stations transmit in mono (mostly they are talk-based stations, so you might not notice, but it still sucks :)

True.

It sounds better. 128kbps is fine for in-car or portable audio, but just isn't good enough for serious listening.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Having fun with the 16's and speakers :) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

And you use headphones in a car?

Cars, due to having omni aerials, suffer even more from multipath reception which causes distortion. And plenty of house systems do too. DAB doesn't.

Why does it suck if you can't notice it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, "Dave Plowman (News)" slurred :

No, but Nom was criticising the author of the website, who wasn't talking specifically about cars.

Again, I wasn't specifically talking about cars. However, DAB does suffer from multi-path reception, resulting in an increase in the bit- error rate. You can often hear background artifacts on DAB transmissions which are not present in good reception areas.

Well, you might notice it, but even if you don't, you still know about it. Most people probably wouldn't notice even if music they new well was played in mono, but if you gave them a choice between mono and stereo, they would still choose stereo.

Reply to
Albert T Cone