Wheel Poll?

I've knocked together some images of selected wheels on a 600. If you've got a minute or two to spare, I'd be interested in how you think each wheel suits the car by selecting a mark out of 10 with the drop-down lists provided:

One or two stand out to me, so just remains to be seen how unfashionable they are ;-)

Thx Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

I think the Rover wheels look the most boring, but I do reckon they suit the best.

Don't know what that says about a brown Rover, but that is just my opinion.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've knocked together some images of selected wheels on a 600. If you've got

To be Honest I wouldn't go for a style like that. I'd go for somethings simple like a flat five spoke (kahn RSR/RSS) or something where the spoke stretches right to the edge of the rim, maximises how big the wheels "look" without having to put stupidly large wheels on.

Or maybe something like a Lenso CF. Kinda split rim/deep dish style without actually being too deep dish.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

On second thoughs I don't think the Lenso's would suit at all :o(

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Only the bottom Original Rover jobbies look any good from that list.

The 600 is a very plain unfussy car. The same needs to apply to the rims !

Complex wheels only suit complex cars !

I had

on mine (215/45R17), but it's not lowered - if you wanna fill the arches a bit more, then you want 18" wheels (215/40R18). 19" will go on, but I wouldn't bother if you value the ride/handling/performance/anything at all. ET45 remember ! Lots of places will try to sell you the *WRONG* ET35 offset !
have the correct details on their site in the "Fitment Guide".

Reply to
Nom

Yep, spot on. The 6-spoke Kahns are a better bet though - you can't really get away with 5-spokes if they're 17"+ - there's far too much "empty space" :)

Reply to
Nom

Are there venoms in that lot?!! TSW Venoms! I'm surprised that you haven't tried three-spokes as well?

Do what everyone's been telling ya Bigus, Vitesse 17's refurbed in a finish of your choice.

You could even get them diamond cut for a unique look and still save yourself money over some of the others you're looking at. Or just get em refurbed with a slightly darker (or even chrome) finish and spend the change on some really good tyres that will improve the cornering.

Reply to
fishman

Agreed to a point, but I don't think all those wheels are too complex. OK, can see how one might think that of the OZ, Rial, Compomotive and Allessio (none of which I like very much on the 600, except the Rial which looks quite nice to me, and one other person who gave it 8/10 :-) The TSW Pace has too many spokes and looks a bit too busy as a result. Other than that, though, they are all contenders to me.

Were you one of the ones who put 1/10 for all of them except the Rover ones? I envy those people whose tastes are so black and white ;-)

Yeah, yours look(ed) nice.. better than the TSW Fury 6-spokes, as there is just a bit too much space between the spokes

In the same way you could say a non-complex car design doesn't suit complex wheels, a neatly proportioned design like that of the 600, doesn't suit disproportionately large wheels. The 17" is just about the right size in that department, I think.

Mine was actually lowered when I had the first set of 17's stuck on it, and I actually "lowered" the burgundy (or brown, depending on how you look at it; ref. Sleeker ;) one in the picture.

That reminds me, got 215/45/17 on the current wheels but many of the retailers selling wheels like the ones in the poll, sell them with

205/40/17's. Does that mean that they are slightly narrower wheels than my current ones, or do 215's still fit somehow, cos I was rather hoping to use my current ZZ3's one the new wheels.

I've often wondered if the people supplying these chrome ones got the ET right, because if I do a full lock when turning right the passenger side tyre scrapes a little on one of the suspension arm(?) rubber joint things!

Some 17" wheels come in 7x17 or 7.5x17 flavours. IIRC, one site I went to suggested 7x17 for the 600 - but what does the 7 mean?

Btw, just for interest, my current favourite wheel in that bunch is the Mille Miglia, which is currently 3rd in the opinion poll.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Kahn's Rock and would look the best on that car, you need 18's though :)

I have a pic of some Kahn replica's made by Mass Italy on my old Audi in the gallery

click on gallery

Reply to
Ronny

In news:crto7d$di$ snipped-for-privacy@blackmamba.itd.rl.ac.uk, Bigus decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ditto, there's nothing worse for ride and handling than a set of massive wheels, especially on a Rover.

7 inches wide. Easy when you know how, isn't it?

Thing I find is stuff like aftermarket alloys date so quickly.

Three spokes were cool once, Venoms were never cool, I'm still a fan of TSW Evos but they don't make the proper ones any more.

The only wheels that don't date seem to be either factory ones, or the expensive jobs.

Few years ago all the VW Golf freaks took to taking the BBS alloys off their GTis and fitting Venoms and the like. Not any more, now to get a decent set of the BBS rims for a GTi can cost upto £600, and for a set of 17" Venoms you'll only pay £150 tops.

*Thread hijack*

Have there ever been uglier alloy wheels than TSW Venoms?

**
Reply to
Pete M

I'll have a look at the Kahn range and "fit" some to the motor ;-)

Damn difficult choosing wheels when you cant see them on the car, and only a couple of alloy manufacturors bother with the applet things.

The chrome ones I've currently got were a bit of a mistake. I like the design, but the chrome turned out to be far more shiny than I thought they would and the bits that curve in so dark (thanks to very easily getting covered in brake dust) and I really don't think dark wheels suit the car given it's bright flame-red.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

They are. The end.

:D

No, but that's how I would vote if I could be bothered :)

Wanna buy em ? They're sat in my garage right now ! £150 and they're yours. Four good tyres.

Those are the wrong size for the 600.

Do the calculation yourself at

205/55R16 is the stock rubber size. 215/45R17 are almost exactly the same diameter.

The 205/215 is the width of the TYRE. 215mm are 10mm wider. They'll fit just fine, as long as the WHEEL is the right offset.

It was probably wrong. For some reason, loads of places list the wrong fitment for the 600.

It's the width of the alloy. Either 7.5" or 7" will suit fine - it's the tyre width that (usually) determines the clearance.

Don't get 8" wide rims.

Bah !

Reply to
Nom

i liked the second one but wasn't the popular choice it seemed :(

Reply to
Vamp

Nope ;-) If you go to the wheels page again and click on the submit button it, apart from it probably telling you that youve already completed the poll, I've modified the script to show the results.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

hehe

hmmm, interesting.. as you can probably tell, I do have a thing about wheels with more spokes on the 600 (and I aint got fancy discs like you either), but if the thought of saving ~250 quid does get the better of that preference I'll let you know :-)

yeah I was thinking maybe the inner width of the tyre, where it fits onto the rim, might have been different aswell as the surface width, but obviously not.. which is good, cos then I can keep the ZZ3's :-)

ok ta :)

WIBBLE! ;)

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

I like that look TBH.

we've got kahn RSR's on the BMW in 17" and they suit it down to the ground :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

oh my choice was 5th :)

Reply to
Vamp

I have just seen a Rover 600 in the car park with wheels that look nice on it. They are a five spoke design but the spokes are split. Basically they look a bit like Momo Arrows but I don't think that's what they are.

Reply to
fishman

Been looking through pictures... maybe more like "TSW Bremma" than "Momo Arrow"

Reply to
fishman

out of the ones you've got there, the rial Daytona ones don't look too bad but the original rover rims look the best of the lot :)

Reply to
dojj