Wheels and Offset

I'm looking to fit new wheels on my Vauhall Tigra which has the same offset as the Corsa (or so I'm lead to believe) of around ET45. What I'd like to know is if I'd be able to fit on 17' wheels with offsets of 35 or 38 without doing anything extra. Any ideas? Cheers.

Reply to
Benjai

Sorry, before everyone guns me down, the proper offset is ET49(!). Will I be able to fit in 17in ET35s and 38s?

Reply to
Benjai

My mate has a Corsa C with 17's on an ET 47 offset, and he was going to have ET 35 with a 5mm spacer, but then chose different wheels. But both are apparantly fine on the Corsa. I would say at ET 35 or 38 you wanted a 5mm spacer.

Reply to
Dan405

I'd be wary of using spacers myself.

Reply to
SteveH

Steve, are you feeling OK? That was a remarkably benign reply to a sort of post that normally inspires downright outrage.

I'm not saying its a bad thing. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There was a discussion here a few days ago about offsets which ended up being about vauxhall wheels. Have a look for it here:

its near the bottom of the thread somewhere.However this is usenet and it could all be bollocks. Sounds reasonable to me that some cars respond adversely to changes in the suspension geometry although I have no experience of it.

You could stick spacers between the wheels and the hubs to match or at least make the wheel offset closer to the original's, but some people will tell you to watch out as you're adding another potential point of failure to what is after all quite an important part of your motor.

All the very best Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Except that a spacer LOWERS the offset ! ET35 with a 5mm spacer, gives ET30 !

Reply to
Nom

ET49.

No. Whilst they may physically fit, you'll run into other problems, chiefly excessive drivetrain (and tyres, depending on how much it knackers your geometry) wear, and your Tigra will handle even worse (!)

There's no reason not to get the right offset for your car - it's not like wheels aren't available for Vauxhalls ! You can have a slight variance without causing problems - assuming they physically fit, then don't worry if they're ET45 instead of ET49 for example.

Reply to
Nom