Where have all the SOCs gone?

I've been looking for a car for my bird today, and I cannot fathom where all the half decent SOCs have gone. Everything we've seen has been rusty worn out old s**te, and this is with a budget of a grand. I suppose it could be because they're all Fords - a fiesta seems to have pretty much had it by

80k. The best thing we looked at all day was a 1.7 205 Diesel FFS... I remember being able to pick up some sort of nail in reasonable working order for a couple of hundred without much aggro.

I'm now thinking the next motor will either have to be French (306 or Xsara) or perhaps a MK3 Golf or Seat Ibiza...

Reply to
Doki

Just tell her to buy my 156....

Service and MOT being done on Monday. £1k. What more could you want? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Buy something bigger and as thirsty as you can afford to run. It'll be cheap as chips.

Reply to
PCPaul

Heh.

Actually, Doki has a point - most of the sub 1.5k cars seem to be utter rubbish these days. Well, not _all_ of them but a far larger percentage. I guess once a car is worth less than 3k people stop even the basic servicing/washing/looking after it routine.

I guess that'll change now that people feel the pinch and a sub-3k car isn't quite as 'disposable' as it used to be.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

My bird absolutely positively won't drive anything bigger than a Focus. TBH I don't like big cars either that much, until you're into BMWs and Jags...

Reply to
Doki

My 325i is up for grabs, £750.

Reply to
Pete M

It's 20cm longer than a Focus though....but it is 30cm narrower and a little lower ;-)

Reply to
Mike P

What's the spec and pics? I could be tempted as some silly transport for myself...

Reply to
Doki

Lots of perfectly good SOCs went to their death last year due to the high price of scrap making it more attractive to scrap something rather than get it through another MOT.

Golf TDI... YKIMS.

Stretch the budget to £1700, and you can have this Mk4 of mine with a years MOT and oil service.

Reply to
JackH

Not got any recent pics, but will be taking some in the next day or so to put in advert.

Black '89 325i Touring auto. 177k miles, cambelt / water pump / rear top mounts replaced at 173k. Very good spec including AC (not working) headlamp wash/wipe, 15" BBS, black 'comfort' leather, LSD (very desirable as it's the rare touring auto LSD 3.7:1 I think). SE skirts, rear headrests, ABS, heated lecky mirrors, 4x lecky windows and a lecky roof. MOT'd til July, tax til end of May.

Solid shell with a few minor dents here and there - nothing major, not rotten where E30s tend to be shabby, drives fine and handles well. Proper gas shocks on it etc.

One central locking solenoid doesn't work, the headlamp washers leak so I've blocked the pipe for now, the fan only works on high speed and the exhaust resonates at idle sometimes. The rear load cover needs a dab of superglue on the little peg that locates it. Nothing too bad to sort.

Pretty good service history with it as well. Been serviced when the interval lights go out and the previous owner was a Doctor who seems to have looked after it mechanically more than keeping it clean and polished.

Reply to
Pete M

Did it not have some silly engine fitted (5 series V8 rings a bell)? Or is that another E30 you had?

Reply to
Doki

It was this one that I was going to fit the V8 to, but it's been my daily driver and I've not had the time to do anything to it apart from drive it. The proposed Czech move has changed my plans, as did a chap offering me good money for the V8 engine mounts and bits I'd bought.

Reply to
Pete M

I know where there's an S80 T6 that's probably on the money...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How long has it been there now? Does it ever move? If 'not often', when was the last time...?

Reply to
DanB

It's been sat there for about two years now, he's had no need to sell it but if someone wants it and makes a sensible offer (probably about 2k if he taxes and tests it, whatever you think in it's current SORN'd state) it's ready to go.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I saw some clean, useful cars offered for sale before Christmas at less than £1k. Indeed Parkers says that things like Jimnys and the Terios should be about £700 for an average mileage clean car. However this month there's nothing around for less than £1500. I suspect that either people are trying for high prices to clear debts or that they think since petrol is now cheaper they can ask more than book prices for their cars.

I have however seen a potential taxi, that TBH I would be ashamed to be seen in, in decent nick and it's tempting to buy for the commute around London.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Here are the pics.

Pete M

Ah. TBH I wanted an E30 with a massive engine in...

Reply to
Doki

The 2.5 is the biggest engine the E30 got in Europe. You'd never buy a converted one, or do it yourself, and you know it heh :-)

Reply to
DanB

I'd not do it myself. OTOH if I a tidy converted one came up, I'd be tempted...

Reply to
Doki