Which is better, only one way to decide........ Fight

Having seen some of those auction prices and noticed that the Autotrader prices aren't that much different, which is better?

Superb 1.9 TDi Elegance (or at a push Comfort spec with extra options). Jaguar X-Type 2.0D Sport?

Looks to be a couple of hundred quid in it. Sometimes the Superb is actually more expensive. Road tax is going to be about the same.

What is reliability and durability like modern Ford Jags (The ones I would looking at would be Fords not Tatas)? I take it the Sports are all manual.

Reply to
carl.robson

I'd go for the Jag provided you don't need the Skodas rear legroom.

Reliability wise the Jag should be ok, I used one for a few months with zero issues, and I know a fair few people who've never had issues with theirs. Then again, I don't know anyone who's had an unreliable Superb.

I don't like the VW 1.9 lump. If you were talking about the 2.5 then I don't know which one I'd go for. The 2.2d Jag goes very well and handles superbly.

Reply to
Pete M

But he's looking at a 2.0D.

My view.

I looked at the Jags and quite like them.

However.... a FWD diesel Jag is just too wrong for me. Especially in 'Sport' trim, which means you only get half leather.

The only X-Types to consider are the V6 SE models with AWD.

Reply to
SteveH

w.italiancar.co.uk- Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

Sport just happened to be one model I looked at. There look to be a few 2.0D models arround. On paper at least they look good, the Sovereign spec looks quite tasty, but I haven't seen one advertised.

I take it the 2.0 is a ford engine and the 2.2 a PUG. I would love the v6 3litre AWD, but I'm not sure the bank balance could, or whether the commute would justify it. I would rather have a slightly more timid car that drove ok, that I could afford to drive, tax and enjoy, than something tasty, grunty and apart from the work slog just look dirty on the drive.

I'm just trying to build up a list of cars in the =A33-4k bracket that I might find, diesel, large family/small exec sized early to mid 2ks age. So far Pug 406 HDi coupe Superb 1.9 Elegance or Comfort Jag X-Type Saab 9-3 C class maybe Beemer 3 series maybe

but those last two need to really drop like a brick to find anything in the age and price bracket even with starship miles.

Reply to
carl.robson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I forget exactly which engines belong to which family, but many of the Ford TDCI are a joint venture with PSA. The 2.7v6 is certainly a shared lump - IIRC Ford have two different 2.0/2.2 diesel families...

Reply to
Adrian

I'd definitely avoid the last 2. As you say, they'll be aging and leggy.

Scrap the 9-3 idea as the 9-5 will offer more for your money. Unfortunately, I don't see you getting a 1.9TiD, which means you'll have to settle for the boat anchor 2.2TiD.

Already given my reservations about the X-Type. I could never be convinced a FWD diesel Jaguar is 'right'. Nice cars, though.

Pug. 406 will be aging and leggy now, I'd have thought. Designed by the French, built by the Italians.... what could possibly go wrong?

So, it leaves the Superb. As PeteM says, a 2.5TDI would be lovely, though.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

19 1.9TiDs on Autotrader at the mo.

All of 'em 9-3s. Cheapest 9-5 1.9TiD is £50 off £5k.

Reply to
Adrian

Surprises me. When I was looking at Saabs, the 9-5s were significantly cheaper than equivalent 9-3s.

I'd still want a 9-5, though, as they're more 'Saab' than the 9-3, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Looks like the 9-3 got the 1.9 in 2004, whilst the 9-5 didn't get it until the Dame Edna facelift in 2005.

Reply to
Adrian

That would explain it.

I didn't even think about a Saab diesel, though - in the same way that a FWD Jag diesel is wrong, so is a diesel, non-aero Saab.

IMHO, YMMV.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

My brother's got a 2.2 old-shape 9-3...

You know my feelings on Saabs. The crankshaft must point fore-aft, unless it has half as many strokes as wheels.. Anything else is wrong.

Reply to
Adrian

Pug 406 HDi coupe - likely to be a bit llose and baggy IMHO Superb 1.9 Elegance or Comfort - Elegance is a great choice Jag X-Type Good choice Saab 9-3 - Another good choice C class maybe - not a good one at your price Beemer 3 series maybe as above. It'll not be a fresh one at that price.

It's surprising what 4 grand will buy these days. Doesn't have to be leggy. I can see current model Octavia DSGs with the TDI engine in that range.

I would.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Pete, you don't like *any* diesels, and the VW 1.9 is hardly going to change that. It's a fine engine in many ways, but very clearly a diesel: a big lump of torque (esp the 130), not worth revving, and somewhat clattery. However, it's strong, easily chippable, pulls like a train, and can return very good economy.

It's a bit of an old design now, but still worthwhile.

No experience of the jags though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It's funny how we've all got our own opinions on certain marques, in the way that "I wouldn't own unless it was a . You with the two examples above. With me, one that springs to mind is Alfas - much as they're decent cars to look at/drive, I wouldn't consider buying any modern Alfa unless it was in Nuvola Blue and in

*really* nice condition, even if that meant paying a premium over another colour (as long as it wasn't too ridiculous).

So, what other makes/models would the rest of the group only own if it was an xxxx model/engine/trim level/colour?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

French derived engines, produced by Ford and installed in a car made by a company from the West Midlands but built by Scousers....

Just how bad could it get? - I suppose it could only be worse if the electrical bits are made by Bosch, with an Alfa derived sillyspeed gearbox.

Reply to
SteveH

In fairness, ISTR Pete saying the XUD TDs weren't too bad. And on that basis, I'd have sort of expected him to rate the 1.9TDI engine (the original

90bhp one, particularly).
Reply to
AstraVanMann

I've heard problems with the turbos on the 2.0TDi models that get the DSG though. There seems to be cases of catastrophic failure of the turbo at between 10k upto arround 50k miles. That doesn't sound good and it doesn't seem to affect the 1.9 even though they used the same turbo. No particular cutoff date, but they just stopped breaking, and the ones replacing the broken ones don't break either.

Apparently they make an odd whooping/whistling noise before they go, and some of them seem to do it almost from new, some break as soon as the noise starts, other go on for miles.

Some dealers will advice that it should be replaced (usually under warranty), other dealers say "Skoda warranty won't let us do anything until it actually breaks".

Bit worrying really, and putting me off the Octavia although I do really love it, and fancying superb instead. Bonus being that the 1.9 Superb doesn't have the particulate filter that causes problems on the 2.0 Superbs. 1.9 Superbs only have the airbox seal/flooding issue to worry about.

Reply to
Elder

See I feel any Alfa diesel is wrong, but they seem quite popular too.

Reply to
Elder

It's not limited to the 2.0TDI.

We've had a couple of 1.9s do it and 1 (or is it 2?) of the 2.0s do it.

Mine never did. It just killed 2 fuel pumps and a clutch. And a key.

They're quite heavy on oil consumption, the PD lumps, until they've done a fair few miles - this is what kills the turbos, leading to them 'dieselling' on their own oil and finally blowing up.

I imagine it's more of an issue with DSG boxed cars as you can't stall them.

Reply to
SteveH

You appear to confusing the VAG TDis with PSA HDi lumps, which really aren't worth revving if that 306 I've just got rid of is anything to go by. jags though.

Reply to
JackH